COLT 1911 QUESTION

geoguy8

NES Member
I have acquired a series 80 Colt Gold Cup that was fitted with a hideous double sided Ambi Thumb safety. I would like to restore to original condition and ordered a factory standard thumb safety, now am wondering is there more to it than just swapping out the double safety? Do I need to switch any other pins or parts as well? Thanks for your help

AFAIK, it's pretty much a direct swap item. Some fitting may be required though. Is the safety you ordered listed as drop in for that specific gun?

BTW, did you at least get one that's extended? I don't like the standard ones on any of my 1911s. If it doesn't come with at least an extended I change it. Luckily my latest 1911c purchase came with an extended.

Last edited:
ordered the factory safety from colt. Wondering about that pin that sticks out on the right side in front of the safety. Thanks

Some ambi safeties use a longer hammer pin as a way to secure the right side of the safety. It will need to be replaced with a standard one. Also the new Colt style safety will need to be fit in order to properly block the sear. Unless you are familiar with the inner working of the 1911, you should seek a professional to do it.

Also the new Colt style safety will need to be fit in order to properly block the sear. Unless you are familiar with the inner working of the 1911, you should seek a professional to do it.

This cannot be overstated. If you don't know how to properly fit a part as important as that, take it to Greg and get it done right.

Took the Gold Cup and two other pistols to Greg Derr for repairs/adjustments, had them back in 2 weeks for about 1/2 what I thought would have to spend. Great guy, and a true craftsmen. Look forward to having something custom done some day after seeing what he can do! Thanks to all for his recommendation.

If you don't know what you are doing, it is VERY easy to ruin the new $afety as the fitting involves filing down a couple of fitting points on the safety. If you don't have the skills to do the job right the first time, you probably can't weld up the fitting points and try again. When you are done, and the gun appears to work, cock the hammer, engage the safety, pull the trigger hard (12lbs or so pressure), then lower the safety. If the hammer falls to half cock, buy a new safety and pay Greg a visit.

Back
Top Bottom