COLT 1911 HELP

geoguy8

NES Member
So I bought a set of Factory tension Wolf Recoil and Firing Pin Springs for my series 70 Mark lV 1911. Both springs are quite a bit longer than originals. Installation simple enough, but when I follow safety check steps from owners manual, something isn't right. According to manual, with an empty magazine in gun, slide should not fly closed when pulled back and released. Slide should remain open. Mine flys shut with or without magazine installed. Every thing else seems to check out. To much grease somewhere ??? Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks

Have you tried another magazine? Either hold the slide back or remove it from the frame and insert an empty magazine. It should push the slide release up.

Thanks guys - mag is new, tried another, and reassembled several times. No luck. Can't decide between sending to Colt or the local gunsmith $$$...

If the mag is inserted correctly and locked in place then the issue is either the follower or the slide release, nothing else in there to go wrong. If you can try another slide release lever could save you a trip to the gunsmith. The springs should not have any affect on the slide release locking the slide open (unless we are talking when firing the last round as to strong a spring for the load could prevent the slide from going all the way back). The only other thing I can think of is possibly a too thick aftermarket buffer preventing the slide from going back all the way..

If you hold the slide back (all the way) and slowly insert the mag you should visibly see the follower push the slide catch up. If it doesn't use your finger or a pencil to try and move it to make sure it can actually move at all.

I think the first think to check is make sure the slide is going all the way back far enough to engage the slide stop. Maybe the longer spring is somehow preventing it from going back far enough? Or possibly the slide stop is not moving freely, could you have nicked it making a burr or something when you disassembled the gun causing it to hang up?

This may sound like a dumb question but are you sure the slide release is fully seated? If the tab on the top of the slide release is not lined up with the notch in the slide, it won't fully seat.

Well as you can tell, Im not a 1911 expert. Looking at the schematic drawings, Looks like My mags are ok, slide stop is good and properly installed- do the slide catch/release refer to the slide stop shown in diagrams? I did take out recoil buffer, and reinstalled original worn main spring with no luck Looks like maybe the pin which sticks up from frame under firing pin may be worn? protrudes about 1/16th", with minor movement.Tough to ID in those parts diagrams...

If you have a series 80 slide, yes the plunger can inhibit forward movement of the slide , also makes resammbly tough if the plunger is stuck. Shock buffs will usually cause the slide to not travel all the way to the rear. If you want to bring in by some day I'll give it a look over for you. I would suggest not going any further for fear of damaging some of the parts.

Greg, He said in the OP its a 70, I think he is talking about the disconnector? Not sure how that could be an issue unless its stuck? I have seen that happen when the sear is installed backwards but then the hammer would not engage either. Your advise is best, leave it alone and have you look at it! OP, Greg is widely known as one of the best 1911 guys on the planet...

Great info guys- Looking closely, seems the slide stop is worn out as it does not extend beyond inside of frame enough to overlap and make contact with mag spring follower. I'll try ordering a new one from Colt and see how it works. Next thing would be a ride to meet Greg in Marshfield...
Thanks again, will keep you posted

New slide stop received from Colt, problem solved. Those Wolf Springs make it feel like a new gun too. Thanks for your help

Glad you got it figured out.

Just a suggestion on the recoil spring: If you'll be shooting a lot of hot ammo, like +P, consider going with an 18lb spring rather than a 16. If you shoot hot through a factory setup gun you will notice the slide hammering the frame. I've never used recoil buffers in any 1911's. I don't trust them for carry guns at least.
I shoot mild factory 230gr and 185gr FMJ's through my 1911's fitted with 18lb springs and have never had a FTE or a short stroke. Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom