Colt’s New King Cobra Target .22LR Revolver

Reptile

NES Member
Colt unveiled a new .22LR target variant of the King Cobra at NRAAM 2022. Available in both 6″ and 4″ barrel configurations, the new King Cobra Target is where rimfire meets class. I had a chance to sit down with Colt at NRAAM 2022 to go over the details of the new King Cobra.

I want this!!!

I always wanted a Colt Snake Gun that was in 22. I would have a great time at the range with this!

I could imagine myself sitting in my chair all day shooting my AR500 steel and not breaking the bank!

It's an expensive gun though!

Yeah, what @T-Unit said. All of the major manufacturer's .22 wheelguns can be cost-prohibitive...

Yeah, what @T-Unit said. All of the major manufacturer's .22 wheelguns can be cost-prohibitive...
And I really dont think you get much value from them either, it's not like they're gonna be bullseye/match accurate because I personally feel revolver manufacturing quality in the US among the major manufacturers is currently poor.

I look at all that is currently made and I dont see any of the larger framed .22 revolvers as worth the $750+ that they cost, but I see the Taurus Trackers and they're priced well and seem to have triggers and shoot above their price point.

Other than the Diamondback (which I need to see more reviews of plus get a feel for one in an lgs)I dont see any US made double action .22's that are worth buying brand new.

Listed as a "target" model and comes with fiber optic sights? A target model to me should have actual target sights but.....whatever. 🙄

When someone can manufacture a .22LR revolver with a trigger as light as what you can get in a .22 semi, that is the day I will buy one for competition.

Until then, f*ck that.

I have two Colt Officer Model in 22lr made in pre-depression era. Bought both in $500 range and they're made with old-school craftsmanship and target sports accuracy.

Listed as a "target" model and comes with fiber optic sights? A target model to me should have actual target sights but.....whatever. 🙄
Well ... a lot depends on how you use it.

If the trigger could get as light as a semi, this would be a great steel challenge gun. In that case, it is target shooting and the fiber optics are probably a better option.

Price is in line with a S&W 617. In fact, when I bought my 617 (as a companion piece to my 686+) it was going for almost $100 more than the .357. Guess which is which (hint: look at the cylinder flutes).
686-617.jpeg

When someone can manufacture a .22LR revolver with a trigger as light as what you can get in a .22 semi, that is the day I will buy one for competition.

Until then, f*ck that.
You have a good point there, like what competitive shooting is there where a .22 revolver is a top choice?

Even for general use, there's really no benefit to a larger frame .22 other than it will likely have a lighter trigger than a smaller framed rimfire would, but it would still be a heavy trigger.

Only reason I'm considering a Taurus Tracker is they're good for the money, but also they have the .22 Mag cylinder and with ammo prices and potential availability, .22 Mag defense ammo from a handgun isn't the worst choice.

You have a good point there, like what competitive shooting is there where a .22 revolver is a top choice?

Even for general use, there's really no benefit to a larger frame .22 other than it will likely have a lighter trigger than a smaller framed rimfire would, but it would still be a heavy trigger.

Only reason I'm considering a Taurus Tracker is they're good for the money, but also they have the .22 Mag cylinder and with ammo prices and potential availability, .22 Mag defense ammo from a handgun isn't the worst choice.
There might be some slow shooting sompetitions that the single action could be light enough to use.

But, if you want to use it for steel challenge, which a 10 shot revolver would be amazing, it is useless.

In steelchallenge, one jam screws up the entire stage, when everyone is shooting it in 2.5 seconds, that jam just killed you. A revolver would solve this issue... but those triggers are SH*T!

I've always wanted a 6" or 8" Colt Diamondback in .22, never wanting to spend $2000+ however. $1000 seems more reasonable.....
I have an early 80’s 4” that is the little brother of its safe mate a late 70’s Python.
Haven’t shot it since the mid 80’s.

Back
Top Bottom