• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colossal AR Failure

Any chance he had an out of spec upper or bad heat treat on the barrel? Maybe an over-torqued out of spec barrel nut? Looks like a sketchball chicom rail.

Thinking expansion of the chamber shattered the upper and everything started pounding the shit out of itself as a result.

I don't know failures like that, I wonder if he's using store bought ammo? In the lots that go through where I am working, they have seen no charge and over charges even with 'name brand' box ammo. I don't pay attention, but we're talking high single digit thousands per day.

No f***ing way "too much gas" causes a catastrophic failure, especially from an adjustable gas block which can't give you "more gas" than the actual port would allow a normal gas block. It doesn't add "extra" gas; it only restricts. Wide open is wide open.

Reloads?
This, too. There's no way in hell too much gas caused that problem.

Somethings this guy says makes sense. That’s just shitty parts and shitty assembly. And that’s not a catastrophic failure....

And adjustable gas block is a good idea. It had nothing to do with the failure...

you know a bad bolt control group when you see it...This guy basically made an eight minute video on it.

I’ve run hundreds of thousands of rounds on the same BCG. I’ve also bought brand new ones that exploded after five rounds

The funny thing is usually these things explode when people keep racking them like in the beginning of the video. Once he got it running....It’s just shitty parts...Nothing to do with the gas block(Although it does seem that he bought a real shitty gas block)

Last edited:
Looks an awful like a .300 blackout round was fired in a 5.56 chamber...
also, why an adjustible gasblock on an unsuppressed non sbr? wanted the gucci stuff? His rifle reeks of wish parts.

It wasn’t an SBR....300Black out could be possible. But it would’ve been more catastrophic all you have to able to look at the barrel and know exactly what happened

It wasn’t an SBR....300Black out could be possible. But it would’ve been more catastrophic all you have to able to look at the barrel and know exactly what happened
what I meant by my comment is that I don't see a need for a JP adjustable gas block for a "standard" 16" non sbr, non suppressed build.

If his intro is true, that's a factory Ruger rifle all he did was slap the gas block, handguard and nut.

So it's an ammo issue, or a Ruger QC issue.

Is it actually possible to chamber a 300BLK
into a 5.56 chamber and still close the bolt?
Never tried it but would seem the bullet wouldn't allow it into the throat.
Yes and the bullet will set back into the case if it contacts the neck/lead/lands. So
even more potential for higher pressure.

When one considers the sheer # of people using ARs, the array of garbage AR parts on the market, remanufactured ammo, ammo ”siblings” like 300blk/223rem that can mischamber, it’s a testament to stoner’s design that more kabooms don’t happen. These rare reports of people having a kaboom NEVER tell the whole story and therefore meaningful conclusions cannot be drawn. If there were any inherent safety flaws with stoner’s design i think we would have uncovered it by now.

the incident with Scott’s serbu 50 had nothing to do with the rifle. He fired an overpressured slap (armor piercing) round. as he himself points out the responsibility is on the user to know what they’re chambering. i do not know Mark Serbu at all but I hope Scott’s accident doesn’t end up ruining his brand.

‘That settles it for me. I’m never bringing both to the range. I never knew that.
Yeah. This is part of why I've taken so long to build my 300 pistol, and it's being configured so differently from my 223 rifles. You can't idiot-proof everything, but you can build systems to prevent catastrophic mistakes and keeping these two separated is one of the easiest ways to do that.

59rmu8.jpg

Must have been one of those "SLAP" rounds.
[slap]
(Yes, I've been watching the Serbu thread).

I blame Ruger. f*** them and their dumpster fire company.
En_UyElXMAQA6Gj.jpg

ETA:
Ruger Serial Number Lookup
S/N: 851-43063

Back
Top Bottom