• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colorado's "high capacity" magazine ban - FAIL

Excerpt From that article:

...Similarly, when New Jersey imposed a 10-round limit on magazines in the state and mandated that any existing large-capacity magazines be surrendered last year,
"approximately zero" of New Jersey's 1 million gun owners decided to turn them in, reported Reason's Jacob Sullum.

Between exploitation and blatant disobedience of Colorado's existing magazine ban, it doesn't look like large-capacity magazines are going anywhere anytime soon in the Centennial State. In fact, Colorado's Supreme Court heard arguments concerning the constitutionality of the state's large-capacity magazine ban yesterday, meaning a repeal of this broken law is a possibility. Even if the ban doesn't get overruled, as Reason's J.D. Tuccille notes,
American gun owners' usual response to arbitrary gun prohibition has been, "Molon labe," or simply, "come and take them."...

I love it.

The drawback is that the dumbasses who write these bills now have an out to explain why their magic-bean laws didn’t work. Instead of confessing that they’re bad laws, folks like this can claim that everything would’ve been hunky-dory... “if only people had followed the intent.”

After Trump issued an executive order requiring Americans to surrender their firearm accessories or risk being in violation of federal law, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives collected fewer than 1,000 bump stocks out of an estimated 280,000-500,000 in circulation. The overwhelming majority of bump stock owners decided to take their chances.

Similarly, when New Jersey imposed a 10-round limit on magazines in the state and mandated that any existing large-capacity magazines be surrendered last year, "approximately zero" of New Jersey's 1 million gun owners decided to turn them in, reported Reason's Jacob Sullum.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

This tells us that "The people understand the meaning of our constitution and those in govt. positions are breaking their oath in prohibiting our rights!".
They are refusing to allow an unlawful order to infringe on their rights![iwojima]

My take from this story is SHUT THE f*** UP WHEN TALKING TO THE MEDIA!

Did you notice that they outed the stores that sold the magazines anyways?

The other major problem with the law is Many magazines have no manufacture dates on them since the AWB expired so there is no way to know who owned what when.

The other major problem with the law is Many magazines have no manufacture dates on them since the AWB expired so there is no way to know who owned what when.

Sounds like they went in "under cover". Although, you're telling me they couldn't spot the narcs? "Hello fellow gun enthusiasts, how do I skirt the law? Please describe in detail while I write this down..."

prohibits the "sale, transfer, or possession of an ammunition feeding device .....

Dealers throughout the state began selling "parts kits" that contain everything a gun owner needs to assemble their own large-capacity magazine at home.

how does making your own from a parts kit get around the "possession" aspect?

prohibits the "sale, transfer, or possession of an ammunition feeding device .....

Dealers throughout the state began selling "parts kits" that contain everything a gun owner needs to assemble their own large-capacity magazine at home.

That's a good question. I'm assuming because the law clearly defined magazine in robust language that excluded individual parts, and because prior to this law there was no statue requiring dates or serial codes on magazines in CO, the sale of kits is legal (ie. not a mag) and what one does with them after is gray area (Q: when was this mag built? A: several years ago, prove me wrong). It is worth pointing out that sale/transfer/possession of over 15 round mags is a class 2 misdemeanor in CO and seemingly a sanctuary item in many places.

It doesn’t. It just allows the shop to sell, and then say “well, it wasn’t a magazine when it left here”.

Once you get it home, though, big boy rules apply, and who can say what exactly happened with any of those kits you bought.

My lgs sells parts kits- in the original bag from PMAG or whomever, bag gets neatly cut open,, mag disassembled then put back in bag and sealed with tape. It's parts to rebuild your existing grandfathered mags.

They also have sold complete mags that have been blocked by having a pop rivit put in at the spot to restrict them to 10 rounds. Few seconds with a 5/32 drill and shazam- mag back to normal capacity.

A friend was shooting at the awesome local outdoor range (free, out to 400 yards, paid for by Wildlife grants) and was chatting a couple of local cops. Asked about the "ban" as he was new into Colorado and was told they had been instructed that the law was such a mess it was unenforceable, so ignore it. And our local sheriff supports 2a sanctuary status.

Because they grandfathered previously owned and there is no way to prove when they were owned.
Parts kits are to maintain your magazines.

Because they grandfathered previously owned and there is no way to prove when they were owned.
Parts kits are to maintain your magazines.

Ummm, yeah! That's it!

That's just exactly what they're for!

I wish that was true for the good USGI mags.... Damn okay industries being CT sadbois have dates stamped on all thier mags...

I'm guessing since most of the 64 counties are pretty rural and the Sheriffs wish to keep their jobs most don't GAS, that and there more important things to attend to. It's pretty relaxed out there(at least when I lived out there), so much so you would often see the Sheriff at one of the many bars/pubs in town any night of the week.

Back
Top Bottom