"Colorado school shooting: Armed guards the answer?"

http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-school-shooting-armed-guards-answer-014500823.html

"An armed deputy sheriff at Arapahoe High School in Colorado likely prevented a school shooting there from being worse, officials say, ending the episode in less than two minutes.

As they investigate the latest school shooting in the United States – Friday at Arapahoe High School in Centennial, Colo. – one thing is clear to law enforcement officials there: The presence of an armed deputy sheriff on regular duty at the school was the key factor in preventing more deaths and injuries.

As soon as he heard the first of five gunshots, that officer and the two school administrators he was talking to raced toward the commotion shouting their presence and ordering students and staff to follow the school’s lock-down protocol.

As a result, Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said at a briefing Saturday afternoon, the heavily-armed shooter realized he was about to be confronted by an armed officer, and he took his own life."

Go figure...

It worked here but the answer to making school shootings very very rare is allowing staff, teachers and visitors to carry. The armed cop at the school can't be everywhere and there is a financial component too. Take Sandy Hook for instance. That school was about 50 years old if I remember correctly. If you had an armed cop/security person there, that position would have cost millions over the decades and for no reason. There are something like 130,000 public schools in the US (not a typo) and that doesn't include private schools, daycares, etc.

Make some place not a gun free zone and suddenly these cowards don't like their odds.

Maybe it's been suggested before, but parents should be allowed to carry and have a "work from school" day as often as they like (I'd bring my laptop and set up shop right by the main entrance).

Statistically speaking we don't need to do anything about school shootings. We have so many bigger problems that cost so many more lives (including those of children) facing our society it's ridiculous how much of a distraction we let this be to national conversation as well as political process. I think allowing armed guards/faculty in schools is good policy in general, but the instances are so rare (statistically) that going crazy to prevent future shootings isn't necessary, whether through gun control or armed guards. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer my kids go to school where a few teachers are armed, and I would much prefer I was allowed to be armed at Umass (though at least Umass has a well trained and armed SWAT team on site), but neither would be something that would or does keep me up at night.

Anyone who unilaterally opposes teachers having guns is an idiot for sending their kids to be under the watch and charge of those same people they don't trust with a gun.

Mike

Last edited:
The most difficult problem to solve is the insider threat

You can harden the facility by implementing access control such as this:

Rarely will one thing alone be effective, instead a combination of things such as armed guards, access control, automatically closing and locking doors, etc. Most of these things are passives, they can be unobtrusive and out of the way. You don't have to turn schools into prisons however, as statistically these school shootings are very rare.

The most difficult problem to solve is the insider threat, it's almost impossible to prevent, just ask the NSA, look at other examples: Ft. Hood, etc. If you can't trust even insiders then, what? Lock everyone up i.e. implement Thought Crime laws? Lately I've been feeling like this is turning more and more into a witch hunt, and New England should really know better considering its history.

You most certainly however cannot stop them (mass shootings) with gun laws (short of complete disarmament). Which leads me to the following question: what's the goal of all these gun control nuts anyways, to stop every single murder? It's impossible: people die, kids die, they always have, and always will.30 to 50 thousand people a year (for the past 50 years) die in car accidents, where's the outrage about that!? Where are the "Mothers against road vehicles", or "Mayors against Automotive Transportation". They always go back to "if this law saves just one life". These liberals are mentally ill, they are just trying to control everything, more specifically, anything that bursts their utopia bubble, their little safety bubble. I don't want to live in a bubble world, you liberals can plug yourselves back into the matrix if it makes you content, but I'd rather live here, where its messy and dirty, and I'm free.

When was the last time you checked that the world wasn't ending for someone in some part of the world at some point in time?

You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws-that’s insane!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can harden the facility by implementing access control such as this:
Which leads me to the following question: what's the goal of all these gun control nuts anyways, to stop every single murder?
No, their goal is to MAYBE save one child...while disarming an entire nation (which is convenient given their other agendas).

You most certainly however cannot stop them (mass shootings) with gun laws (short of complete disarmament). Which leads me to the following question: what's the goal of all these gun control nuts anyways, to stop every single murder?

There is no such thing as complete disarmament. Practically anything can be weaponized.

And as for their goal: they want to disarm US, in the name of making us dependent. Nothing threatens them more than independence. (Murders? Heck, they love 'em - each is another excuse for more of the same.)

Maybe it's been suggested before, but parents should be allowed to carry and have a "work from school" day as often as they like (I'd bring my laptop and set up shop right by the main entrance).

Another alternative is that parents could be sufficiently involved in their children's live that they recognize a problem and take action before their kid gets to the point where they are walking the halls of their school with a gun. And of course the media could stop worshipping these kids and turning them into misunderstood rock stars the way Boston media has with the Marathon punks.

- - - Updated - - -

So now one shotgun is an arsenal? I'm lost here. I can't wrap my head around liberal statistics

I think that by 'heavily armed', they mean he had 12" biceps, which is massive by liberal standards.

Another alternative is that parents could be sufficiently involved in their children's live that they recognize a problem and take action before their kid gets to the point where they are walking the halls of their school with a gun.

By all current accounts and interviews, this kid was about as normal as normal can be for a teen age kid.

The only time anything is going to change is when people stop asking the okay from government and just start enacting it. They get trained, drill, and get equipped and saying we should be allowed to work from school ain't it.

Statistically speaking we don't need to do anything about school shootings. We have so many bigger problems that cost so many more lives (including those of children) facing our society it's ridiculous how much of a distraction we let this be to national conversation as well as political process.

You're right that there are much bigger problems, and that statistically mass public shootings are incredibly rare, but these shootings are the events that people with nefarious intentions are using to try to take away our civil rights. It doesn't matter that an average of 87 children die every year by drowning in the bathroom (that's more than twice the number of people killed in Aurora and Newton combined), because the issue that's being discussed isn't about saving lives, it's about taking guns.

The government has NO RIGHTS, it has few responsibilities, and none trump my rights as an individual or my responsibilities as a father.

When I toured the new Mega-School the town built for K-5 ($36M total cost iirc; half town/half state) I was looking at it as how can I advise my kids to get out. This shelter in place stuff is fine if that all you have, but the best thing is distance and cover.

Armed Guards - no. TSA would have a new arm called the SSA and fondle every kid as they go to school - NO WAY. Get rid of Gun Free zones, let the teachers/administrators/janitors carry if they wish (the gov't can't mandate anything remember).

Don't turn schools into armed camps/prisons/gulags, it won't end well.

And as stated above - Gun Control is just about Control. The collective telling the individual how to live.

It worked here but the answer to making school shootings very very rare is allowing staff, teachers and visitors to carry. The armed cop at the school can't be everywhere and there is a financial component too. Take Sandy Hook for instance. That school was about 50 years old if I remember correctly. If you had an armed cop/security person there, that position would have cost millions over the decades and for no reason. There are something like 130,000 public schools in the US (not a typo) and that doesn't include private schools, daycares, etc.

Make some place not a gun free zone and suddenly these cowards don't like their odds.

To solve the financial problem of paying someone fulltime wages as an armed gaurd in every school my suggestion is to have some volunteer teachers who carry in the school. Give them mandatory training by local law enforcement, mandatory practice/trigger time and for this they would get an annual stipend in their paychecks. Pay a few faculty/staff an extra $5000-10000 a year who already get benefits is much less then paying 1 person $50,000 a year plus benefits and training.

Another reason I like my idea better is that if there was a full time armed gaurd it would be easy for a shooter to single out that one guy and make it a goal to take them out first then commence with a shooting rampage. Having a few teachers makes it more difficult to target them all at once and also keep their identities a secret and they carry concealed would make it even harder to take them out first if you don't know who they are.

I'd prefer armed teachers/staff than armed guards. Just highly publicize that teachers are armed. Make it so no one but the teachers and superintendent/maybe principal know which teachers are armed.

Armed guards would just make school feel more like a prison that it already does.

Something definitely needs to be done and it's about damned time the liberals who created this problem admit that the whole "gun free zone" think just doesn't work.

+1 for that. I've never heard that idea mentioned before but I would definitely volunteer as much as possible if this was ever allowed!

Back
Top Bottom