• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colorado man sues Sig Sauer after fatally shooting his wife

No, you're not being over the top. Whenever I train students, I tell them that you hand over a cleared pistol or revolver grip or butt first, with the action open!
I have never handed a weapon over to someone unless its unloaded and action open. Same way any friend would hand it to me. And you then always verify its clear yourself before fingerf***ing it.

Dude murdered his wife.

Schneider states his wife retrieved her P320 so they could compare it with the new guns. The suit states Schneider unloaded the gun by releasing the magazine and taking the bullet out of the chamber. When he later reloaded the gun and handed it to his wife, it discharged "firing one round through Wendy's finger, perforating her neck, and lodging into the wall of the master bedroom."

There's some big holes (ouch) in that story.

Yep, finger AND neck is a red flag for the victim being in a defensive posture.

No, you're not being over the top. Whenever I train students, I tell them that you hand over a cleared pistol or revolver grip or butt first, with the action open!

I won't claim to be any type of instructor but when I teach newbs, it's usually at the range and the important point is that the muzzle remains pointed down range when handing the pistol back and forth. If not at the range, a safe direction away from people serves as 'down range'. I'll hand a knife 'butt' first but not a pistol so that the muzzle is now pointed at me. Nope.

cripes I can't ever recall handing a loaded firearm to anyone, I always cleared it and had the slide locked back or the cylinder open with no ammo in the weapon.

Even when I have taught people to shoot if I had to show someone how to load the gun usually a semi-automatic, I used a single round in the magazine and placed the gun down on the bench pointing down range.

sounds like he is trying for reasonable doubt at Sig's expense

Reminds me of the Remington 700 story where the guy claimed he was putting the rifle in a case (loaded) pointed at the street when it went off by itself and killed a kid across the street.

So the New Hampshire man in the thread title moved to Colorado?
By way of Florida. Lol

Yep, finger AND neck is a red flag for the victim being in a defensive posture.

Maybe. He hands it to her muzzle-first. She reaches to push it away and he reflexively pulls the trigger. Better to just fess up than pull this “Sig at fault” defense.

My favorite part was that the pistol accidentally fired TWICE and got two hits.

S&W had a recall for certain models of EZ Shield last year:

With a loaded magazine in the firearm, the grip safety depressed, manual safety in the fire position, slide closed, and a round in the chamber, pulling the trigger will cause the round to fire normally, however as the slide cycles, the next round may be ignited as it is chambered by the hammer failing to fully engage the sear, causing multiple discharges.

So, with enough persistence everything is possible. However not quite sure if the Sig 320 issue did involve multiple discharges. That guy probably bought a wrong gun for the job.

People are just trying to have it both ways. They talk about the liability of firearms manufacturers. The limit of that liability is when someone does something stupid. Sig hasalready come out and said that they put out some defective guns. It happens,they’re not immune from that liability, people have been injured from those guns. Even though you’re not supposed to point it out yourself or somebody else and release the safety unless you already intend on shooting them anyway...Now if you have to have it in the pocket or the holsters they provide..some of them that your gun won’t fit in the factory provided holster and it discharges that’s a real case. As far as everybody shooting themselves and their spouses handing the gun around. Come on

Who’s this assclown’s lawyer, Giuliani?
With all due respect Giuliani was instrumental in cleaning up NY and putting away The Commission...you may not like him now but he's ok in my book.

He left a legacy of successful prosecutions of leaders of New York’s “Commission” of organized crime families, the Mafia’s international heroin and cocaine ring in the “Pizza Connection” case, as well as high-profile political corruption and Wall Street criminal cases.

As mayor of New York for eight years, Giuliani made sweeping changes to law enforcement policies that reduced crime in the city by more than 50 percent and calmly shepherded the city and nation through the catastrophic 9/11 terrorist attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center.

Last edited:
With all due respect Giuliani was instrumental in cleaning up NY and putting away The Commission...you may not like him now but he's ok in my book.

He left a legacy of successful prosecutions of leaders of New York’s “Commission” of organized crime families, the Mafia’s international heroin and cocaine ring in the “Pizza Connection” case, as well as high-profile political corruption and Wall Street criminal cases.

As mayor of New York for eight years, Giuliani made sweeping changes to law enforcement policies that reduced crime in the city by more than 50 percent and calmly shepherded the city and nation through the catastrophic 9/11 terrorist attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center.

I have no issue with mayor Giuliani despite him ruining Times Square and perpetuating their absurd gun laws.

Last edited:

You're right. He did great. But if you want a guy to have the best shot at the heavyweight title in, say, 2010, do you pick a competent fighter or go on reputation and go with Ali. In 2010???

Giuliani is like Ali from 1985-2016.

cripes I can't ever recall handing a loaded firearm to anyone, I always cleared it and had the slide locked back or the cylinder open with no ammo in the weapon.
I've handed (and received) loaded guns to people a whole bunch of times in my life. No NDs, nobody got hurt or died. Nobody was flagged with a live gun while doing so. Do I do it on the reg? no. But there are people that I don't have a problem doing that with, and the feeling is mutual. Would I do it with most people? No. Or even most of the time? no. But it's possible to do it safely, IMHO its an absurdist, close minded "square range all the time" mentality that someone cannot pass off a loaded firearm safely to another person.

FTR I think the guy in the lawsuit, I think his argument smells like shit, and if it wasnt a murder, what transpired there was easily defined as gratuitous negligence on a good
day.

I've handed (and received) loaded guns to people a whole bunch of times in my life. No NDs, nobody got hurt or died. Nobody was flagged with a live gun while doing so. Do I do it on the reg? no. But there are people that I don't have a problem doing that with, and the feeling is mutual. Would I do it with most people? No. Or even most of the time? no. But it's possible to do it safely, IMHO its an absurdist, close minded "square range all the time" mentality that someone cannot pass off a loaded firearm safely to another person.

FTR I think the guy in the lawsuit, I think his argument smells like shit, and if it wasnt a murder, what transpired there was easily defined as gratuitous negligence on a good
day.
There are people I trust enough to hand a loaded weapon to, but have never had the need.

Back
Top Bottom