• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colorado Judge: Sherrifs can't sue over gun laws

The sheriff being the highest law enforcement authority in his county, why do they even need to sue? Can't they just say that they won't enforce an unconstitutional law and that's that?

The sheriff being the highest law enforcement authority in his county, why do they even need to sue? Can't they just say that they won't enforce an unconstitutional law and that's that?

Yes, and that's exactly what many around the country are doing. And, they have the manpower to back it up.

They have already said that. The way the new laws were written it makes it nearly impossible to enforce. Possession of the "high capacity" magazines is not prohibited if you already own them and there is no way of knowing when they were purchased.

They have already said that. The way the new laws were written it makes it nearly impossible to enforce. Possession of the "high capacity" magazines is not prohibited if you already own them and there is no way of knowing when they were purchased.
I also picked up on this. Even if they amend to say lawful ownership must be backed up by receipt you have problems... Then you prove suitability of receipts? --because any two guys can back-date a hand written receipt, and it would be just as easy to reset the date on a surplus cash register.... That's why grandfathering is generally all or nothing. If the mags aren't serial numbered, you'd only need one receipt to cover all like-mags and just put a huge qty on it like 100 so as long as you were not caught with 101 you'd be clear. As I said in one post, the 2A needs to be absolute and repeal ALL gun laws NOW!

Hun4richest, There are a couple major military bases in Colorado and there are tons of AR-15/M-16 magazines already in possession of residents. My brother lives there and he has bought me quite a few magazines over the years. No receipts were ever given. Again, there is no way to enforce a law like this.

Possible answers?
Because the laws can still be charged by others without the help of the Sheriffs?
Because someone could go to court to force them to enforce the law (Is the term "writ of mandamus" or some such?)?

Back
Top Bottom