Collings Foundation planes

SKS Ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Well I never wound up scraping up the cash to go for a ride and finally had a chance yesterday to skip out of work for a bit and check out the planes. Unfortunately 2 had already left for NY but there were still these beatuties geting ready to leave:

Big Duke Six

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
These planes and more are supposed to be in Hartford this weekend, as well as other military displays from WWII, korea, vietnam, and desert storm...

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
My son and I walked (crawled?) through a B-17 at the Westover Air Show. It's amazing how small those things are inside.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You really need to save the money to take the ride. I took the flight in the B-17 a couple of years ago and it is definitely worth the money.

This time of year (colder) might not be the best - I would suggest doing it on a day when it is pretty warm out. The day I took the flight it was warm - t-shirt and shorts weather - and the plane was flying without the top navigator's window in - and the side gunner windows were out also.

You could actually stand in the radioman/navigator area and put your head right outside the plane, it was just about the coolest thing I have ever done.

The flight lasted quite some time too - I think it was around a half hour or so. In the B-17 you can roam around the plane while it is in flight - go up to the front nose (leave the pilots alone) - go thru the bomb bay - etc. I don't remember the tail gunner position being accessible.

If you go on the B-25 I think you have to pick either nose or rear - the B-24 they might let you wander around on that one also.

If you can't afford it you might want to even think about selling a gun - it is that cool of an experience.

SKS Ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I really considered the B25 because it wasn't too expensive but after talking to a few people at the airport I was glad I didn't that day.

It was parked for repairs and landed right after take off because one of the engines wasn't working properly. One guy who was telling me about it said it started sputtering and sounded like it was stalling and how theres no way he'd ever fly in it now.

I'd still go up in one though. I'm just glad I didn't go ahead and pick that day because I don't think the people waiting ever got to take their ride after repairs were done.

Joe G

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You could actually stand in the radioman/navigator area and put your head right outside the plane, it was just about the coolest thing I have ever done.

The flight lasted quite some time too - I think it was around a half hour or so. In the B-17 you can roam around the plane while it is in flight - go up to the front nose (leave the pilots alone) - go thru the bomb bay - etc. I don't remember the tail gunner position being accessible.
Top turret?

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It was parked for repairs and landed right after take off because one of the engines wasn't working properly. One guy who was telling me about it said it started sputtering and sounded like it was stalling and how theres no way he'd ever fly in it now.
Those old radials always sputter and spit when starting up. It takes a while for them to reach operating temperature.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My oldest son and I got a free ride in the B17 a few years ago, here on Nantucket.
Nice to have connections...[grin]
It was simply AWESOME.
While we were up there, two P51 Mustangs came up and flew along side.
Ultra cool.
At the same airshow, my middle son got to sit in the cockpit of a Warthog,
I have a photo of him in there in my office. I dont think he has ever had that big a grin , anytime, in his life.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
At the same airshow, my middle son got to sit in the cockpit of a Warthog,
I have a photo of him in there in my office. I dont think he has ever had that big a grin , anytime, in his life.
Take a look at the photo and see if you can see numbers marked in white chalk in a black rectangle with the words ARMAMENT in bold black letters as seen below:

[wink]

Top Bottom