Collings Foundation B17 crash at BDL

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Apparently one of the Collings WWII aircraft has crashed at Bradley. Not much info yet. I hope it wasn't carrying paid passengers.

jtnf

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Scanner feed:
Windsor Locks Police, Fire and EMS - Live Audio Feed Web Player Live Audio Feed
Just heard "structure fire has been knocked down, this will be a prolonged operation"

Just spotted on FB:
2019-10-02 10:12:00 | AIRCRAFT DOWN | WINDSOR LOCKS, CT | BRADLEY AIRPORT | WWII VINTAGE BOMBER HAS CRASHED INTO A BUILDING AT THE AIRPORT AIRCRAFT AND BUILDING ON FIRE 13 SOULS ON THE AIRCRAFT UNKNOWN HOW MANY CIVILIANS ON THE GROUND NFI | G.B.D1/NEID2

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I was just watching them fly over us and Beverly last week.
What a shame
I hope everyone is ok
Hope it's not a total loss

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A few years ago I wanted to buy my dad a ride on a Collings B-24 in Worcester. He flew them in WWII. His response was that he spent enough time in them and was happy just to look at all of the planes up close. I would hate to think that there were old B-17 vets on that plane--godspeed.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I think that there is a member here whose son is a pilot for Collins. I forget the details, because that thread is a few years old. Hoping that he wasn't on the plane. From the video, it doesn't look good for the passengers and crew.

Crashed and burned into a building.

Hopefully NES didn't have any members or members' family/friends on board.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This will be a huge loss for the Collings Foundation and aviation history. On a personal note, Mrs. Knuckle Dragger and I had the opportunity to jump out of this plane several years ago. A bucket list item even before I knew what a bucket list was.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Tragic.

I wonder if this B-17 was at the Great New England Airshow at Westover in 2018.

I may have seen it and gone inside.

I was shocked at how cramped the inside of the plane was. People must have been smaller then because I could barely move around without difficulty.

I doubt anybody on board survived due to the inability to get in or out quickly.

I always thought it is a risk to fly on this historic aircraft but I would have if not for the $1000 price tag for a trip.

This is a big loss for the Collings Foundation and more so for the lives lost on board.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bummer! Loss of 909 is bad enough but the loss of lives is much worse. I wonder how many on board survived flying in these planes during the war, only to be killed in their 90's.

deerdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everyone who is into vintage aircraft knows this one. My daughter and I have been in it while on the ground. Was it confirmed that lives were lost?

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sad but true.

A World War II-era B-17 bomber crashed Wednesday morning while trying to land at Connecticut's Bradley International Airport, and a fire and rescue operation is underway, officials said.

© Aaron Katzman Smoke rises from the crash site Wednesday morning at Bradley International Airport in…
The airport is closed as a result of the crash, which happened at about 10 a.m. ET, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

At least six patients from the crash are expected to be taken to Hartford Hospital, said hospital spokesman Shawn Mawhiney.

© aviation-images.com/UIG/Getty Images A Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress flies in a 1997 airshow. A plane…
A Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress flies in a 1997 airshow. A plane similar to this crashed Wednesday at Connecticut's Bradley International Airport.

The vintage Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress crashed at the end of a runway as its pilot tried to land, the FAA said in a statement.

It is a civilian-registered aircraft, not flown by the military, the FAA said. The plane belonged to the Collings Foundation, the airport said on Twitter.

A "Wings of Freedom Tour," featuring the B-17 and other aircraft, was scheduled at the airport this week, from Monday to Thursday, the foundation said on its website.

Bradley Airport crash: WWII-era bomber ablaze at Hartford-area airport - CNN

Eugenio.FV

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Damn, I was actually in southern New Hampshire during the weekend and saw a B-17 fly by, could it have been it?

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is horrible. Both for the loss of life and loss.of history.

My favorite airplane and it was on my bucket list.

Do we know what caused the crash?
Gravity?

Sorry for the joke, but I couldn't resist. I know that there has been a B-17 flying around N Central MA. Wonder if they offer rides to people. May be worth looking into.

snax

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Damn, I was actually in southern New Hampshire during the weekend and saw a B-17 fly by, could it have been it?
Yes. My kids were at an event at nashua airport.
They had that b17, a b24, a b25, a mustang, and a few others.
The mustang did a fly by, what a sweet sound those make.
Those radial engines in the bombers sound pretty sweet too.
Shame it went down. We need to keep that history alive.

Top Bottom