• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

College suspends young mother for posing with gun at gun range. She’s suing.

64b612f8-c6c9-4d89-a17c-1459ff339d61.gif

Wow, we need to remove these types of people from any position of power. He needs to get sued, fired, and get a job emptying garbage cans. Progressives are the most dangerous and annoying people on the planet, followed closely by Communists and radical Salafi types

Again....to each their own.......I just wish more people would consider the future consequences of social media that has openly stated that it hates you and your values.......

Says the guy posting on a firearms related "social media" forum which is knowingly watched by the Ma AG as well as other entities that would love to see all of us 'gun nutz' rot in jail. :-\

The college, which is part of the St. Johns County School District, suspended Dallas after another student reported a Facebook photo of her and her fiance “holding legally purchased and lawfully possessed firearms at a gun range

Adding students and co-workers to FB is not a good idea.

A public college should "consider discipline" for an adult student's lawful off-campus activities?

Posing like a "gangsta" in complete disregard for firearm safety and disrespect for the photographer, if it is a symptom of other anti-socialized attitudes in the woman, would make me consider discipline, but suspension doesn't come to mind. A humiliating dressing-down is more appropriate.
Assuming by "consider discipline", you are referring to the school. On what basis would you discipline a student for lawful off campus conduct?
Rob, I'm not talking about official discipline according to school rules. I'm talking about as a guidance counselor (many of these fourth-tier schools have them) giving a long-overdue in loco parentis intervention along the lines of, "If you don't want to be a failure in life you must learn these lessons."
Ms. Dallas is 20-21 years old; I doubt her college has any in loco parentis duty.

So unless there are witnesses to corroborate events
90% of the time the subject will "cooperate" and be a witness against himself and admit the activity suggested by the photo is real. It is tough and often not financially practical for a college student to tell a non-LEO administrator, who can impose extra0judicial punishment, "we'll get my attorney here and we can talk'.

90% of the time the subject will "cooperate" and be a witness against himself and admit the activity suggested by the photo is real. It is tough and often not financially practical for a college student to tell a non-LEO administrator, who can impose extra0judicial punishment, "we'll get my attorney here and we can talk'.

This is entirely true. I considered discussing it in my previous post, but it did not add to the point I was trying to make.

Note that in this case, acknowledging the contents of the photo is an admission to entirely legal behavior, which is also outside the jurisdiction of the administrator asking about it. Even so, in many cases, a person without resources might find themselves with no reasonable recourse. Happily, in this case, I think the aggrieved student will receive some assistance toward getting a fair hearing.

Posing like a "gangsta" in complete disregard for firearm safety and disrespect for the photographer, if it is a symptom of other anti-socialized attitudes in the woman, would make me consider discipline, but suspension doesn't come to mind. A humiliating dressing-down is more appropriate.

Oh bullshit. If it was at a cowboy shoot no one would give two shits.

I hope she bankrupts the college and buys more guns and range time.

Oh bullshit. If it was at a cowboy shoot no one would give two shits.

I hope she bankrupts the college and buys more guns and range time.

BS yourself. Does the context look like a cowboy shoot? Does she appear to know WTF she is doing with that firearm? These urban punks grow to adult age without becoming adults, they live among society without learning to be decent members of it. I never said anyone had a legal duty to her. But it would be a good deed to set her straight before something really bad happens.

An apostrophed name is always better than a hyphenated one. I hate hyphenated last names to bits.
Gonna get interesting in a generation or three when kids have surnames that sound like lawfirms. Smith-Walters-Devans-Nixon-Peabody-Jackson would be a hell of a surname for a kid to live with.

which is also outside the jurisdiction of the administrator asking about it
Unclear. You read stories all the time about people who are decruited from their jobs because of politically incorrect behavior or statements made outside the workplace, without any link to the company (no use com company name, logo, etc.). When it comes to private institutions you have to prove their actions violated some sort of law or regulation.

If you don't think the courts grant colleges wide discretion to ignore the law, just try to get a court to treat a student being expelled from school as a "tenant with all the rights that pertain thereto" if they live in on-campus housing.

Note that in this case, acknowledging the contents of the photo is an admission to entirely legal behavior, which is also outside the jurisdiction of the administrator asking about it.
Unclear. You read stories all the time about people who are decruited from their jobs because of politically incorrect behavior or statements made outside the workplace, without any link to the company (no use com company name, logo, etc.). When it comes to private institutions you have to prove their actions violated some sort of law or regulation.

If you don't think the courts grant colleges wide discretion to ignore the law, just try to get a court to treat a student being expelled from school as a "tenant with all the rights that pertain thereto" if they live in on-campus housing.
First Coast Technical College is operated by St. Johns County School District under the Florida Department of Education. Wouldn't be a 1A case if FCTC were a private institution.

Dallas's lawsuit alleges civil rights violations, including both Federal first amendment violation and "retaliation in violation of Article 1, Section 4 of the Florida Constitution".

Gonna get interesting in a generation or three when kids have surnames that sound like lawfirms. Smith-Walters-Devans-Nixon-Peabody-Jackson would be a hell of a surname for a kid to live with.
Probably they will choose some politically-correct names: ie Kennedy, Kerry, etc. When they reach adulthood, they can change their names legally.

Wow, we need to remove these types of people from any position of power. He needs to get sued, fired, and get a job emptying garbage cans. Progressives are the most dangerous and annoying people on the planet, followed closely by Communists and radical Salafi types
No way, thats an insult to my trash cans.

Rob, would it really matter? I am southern born and raised, with plenty of Confederate pride. My wife, Jill, is Canadian born with Cajun roots and raised in Louisiana. Our daughters were born in my home state of Alabama, so I guess the liberals will just call us a family of unwashed rednecks. We are not control freaks as parents. We keep our share of firearms in our home and continue to educate our kids on their proper use. However, we have one rule that stands absolute: no gun photos on social media. Not a real gun, BB gun or water gun. No guns at all. Period!
Your choice, for whatever reason.

God forbid a a minority posts a photo with firearms and money....because having money or a firearm such a terrible crime...

As it goes ....first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the respect.

As far as in poor taste, only in that it got her in trouble, but the payday will be worth it.ive posted plenty of things I shouldn’t have... love to get paid for it.

Last edited:
Really ? Judgemental much ?

It's a good thing that you're not a law-maker......

or, are you ?

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. The issue is we have people making laws and voting who some how learned (or are playing a game) that it is required act on feelings and opinions.

They forgot, possibly because of lazyness, that you should use some logic as a filter between your opinions and feels and the actions you take. Then they decided that was too hard too and took away the opinion / thinking portion and now have just feels.

The person here you blasted did the right thing. He stated his opinion. He stated his feeling. And he took no action nor proposed taking any action because his logic filter properly identified the subject as being within their protected rights.

Why are you judging him for applying a very human (and rational) process?

God forbid a a minority posts a photo with firearms and money....because having money or a firearm such a terrible crime...

As it goes ....first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the respect.

As far as in poor taste, only in that it got her in trouble, but the payday will be worth it.ive posted plenty of things I shouldn’t have... love to get paid for it.
Like I said I don't give a flying f#$& what any one does. And the college is wrong. But there is no way I would take a picture like that and post it for everyone to see. I'm willing to bet if most of us posed for a picture like that regardless of race. At they're local range. With your club logo in the background. You probably wouldn't retain membership much longer. If you disagree take the picture and post it up for everyone to see.

The college is wrong for punishing a student for doing something legal outside of the school.

Now a faculty advisor could tell a student that posting things on social media that may imply poor judgement (guns, money, gangsta acts, sex, drugs, alcohol, whatever), might negatively impact one's future employment opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom