• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

College suspends young mother for posing with gun at gun range. She’s suing.

mikeyp

NES Member
I hope she wins an f-ton of money

College suspends young mother for posing with gun at gun range. She’s suing. | The College Fix

White assistant principal told black student she had a ‘mean look’

Florida’s First Coast Technical College has a low view of the U.S. and state constitutions, according to a federal lawsuit by a student who says she’s been suspended indefinitely.

gun range. She’s suing.
GREG PIPER - ASSOCIATE EDITOR •MAY 24, 2019
SHARE THIS ARTICLE: The College Fix on Facebook The College Fix on Twitter The College Fix on Youtube Share on Email
diamon-dallas.Anfernee_Royster.facebook-370x242.jpg

White assistant principal told black student she had a ‘mean look’

Florida’s First Coast Technical College has a low view of the U.S. and state constitutions, according to a federal lawsuit by a student who says she’s been suspended indefinitely.

Dia’mon Dallas is suing the Florida college for violating her First and Fourteenth Amendment rights and retaliating against her in violation of the Florida Constitution, the Jacksonville Daily Record reports.

The college, which is part of the St. Johns County School District, suspended Dallas after another student reported a Facebook photo of her and her fiance “holding legally purchased and lawfully possessed firearms at a gun range in Palatka,” according to the lawsuit:

Two days after the photograph was posted, Dallas was confronted on the college’s St. Augustine campus by the assistant principal and informed that she was being suspended indefinitely for appearing in a picture holding a firearm.

During the suspension meeting, the assistant principal [Donna Gary-Donovan] said that in the posted picture, Dallas had a “mean look” on her face, was possessing “illegal guns” and stated that “things you do in the dark come in to the light,” according to the complaint. [Gary-Donovan is white.]

can't really tell if her finger is inside the trigger guard and I wish she held the gun a little straighter, otherwise a nice pic. And since she was pointing at the camera I hope it was unloaded and there was nobody behind the camera...lol

I don't agree with the college. She will get paid. I will admit I think the picture is in poor taste. The guy behind her has what appears to be a wad of cash in one hand, and a pistol in the other. I think most of us nesters would not post a picture like that. People would assume you were involved in shady business practices. But it's a free country do what you want.

I don't agree with the college. She will get paid. I will admit I think the picture is in poor taste. The guy behind her has what appears to be a wad of cash in one hand, and a pistol in the other. I think most of us nesters would not post a picture like that. People would assume you were involved in shady business practices. But it's used to be a free country; do what you're wanttold.

Fixed it for you, comrade.

... I will admit I think the picture is in poor taste. The guy behind her has what appears to be a wad of cash in one hand, and a pistol in the other. I think most of us nesters would not post a picture like that. People would assume you were involved in shady business practices. But it's a free country do what you want.

Really ? Judgemental much ?

It's a good thing that you're not a law-maker......

or, are you ?

Im going to agree the picture is made to look gangsta. It's not the sort of gun handling most actual ranges would well accept, but I'm always happy to see a female gun enthusiast and there's no indication anything illegal was transpiring. She should win the lawsuit.

Also it's probably fair to say the sort of white gun enthusiasts who dress in tactical gear of some form day to day, own 58 different AR style rifles, 23 AKs, 3 SCARs, a few 50 BMGs, stock 20,000 rounds of ammo and enough mags to hold it, own a mil surplus hummer with a gun turret and a couple camo pickup trucks flying confederate flags, train regularly for the civil war they think is imminent etc etc.. well that's a culture many people find in poor taste too but it also isnt illegal.

Im going to agree the picture is made to look gangsta. It's not the sort of gun handling most actual ranges would well accept, but I'm always happy to see a female gun enthusiast and there's no indication anything illegal was transpiring. She should win the lawsuit.

Also it's probably fair to say the sort of white gun enthusiasts who dress in tactical gear of some form day to day, own 58 different AR style rifles, 23 AKs, 3 SCARs, a few 50 BMGs, stock 20,000 rounds of ammo and enough mags to hold it, own a mil surplus hummer with a gun turret and a couple camo pickup trucks flying confederate flags, train regularly for the civil war they think is imminent etc etc.. well that's a culture many people find in poor taste too but it also isnt illegal.

No, it isn't illegal amd those "white gun enthusiasts" will most likely be the very people who save this country from complete oblivion.

College official was/is an anti, headline made sure to point out he was white because thats what journalists do. Girl and her lawyer will probably turn it into a race issue because thats what works.

I don't agree with the college. She will get paid. I will admit I think the picture is in poor taste. The guy behind her has what appears to be a wad of cash in one hand, and a pistol in the other. I think most of us nesters would not post a picture like that. People would assume you were involved in shady business practices. But it's a free country do what you want.

Big gov thanks you for your support of their goal to remove the evils of society- guns and cash.

OK looks like you are catching a lot of crap for your comment. I agree it's not a classy pic and my gut was no, I would not post such a pic. However, I'm glad she did. There is nothing wrong (excepting possible safety no-no) with her pic and in fact it shows some spunk on her part. As they say, "You go, girl!".

Big gov thanks you for your support of their goal to remove the evils of society- guns and cash.

OK looks like you are catching a lot of crap for your comment. I agree it's not a classy pic and my gut was no, I would not post such a pic. However, I'm glad she did. There is nothing wrong (excepting possible safety no-no) with her pic and in fact it shows some spunk on her part. As they say, "You go, girl!".
I said in my original post. It's a free country do you want.

It's disgusting how many here are judging her for posting a f***ing picture. No one gives a damn if you think it's in poor taste, whether or not you like social media, etc - she wants to post a picture with a gun, she can go right ahead and do so and she shouldn't have to worry about what some paper-pushing dickhead in an ivory tower thinks of it.

Posing like a "gangsta" in complete disregard for firearm safety and disrespect for the photographer, if it is a symptom of other anti-socialized attitudes in the woman, would make me consider discipline, but suspension doesn't come to mind. A humiliating dressing-down is more appropriate.

Posing like a "gangsta" in complete disregard for firearm safety and disrespect for the photographer, if it is a symptom of other anti-socialized attitudes in the woman, would make me consider discipline, but suspension doesn't come to mind. A humiliating dressing-down is more appropriate.
Assuming by "consider discipline", you are referring to the school. On what basis would you discipline a student for lawful off campus conduct?

Rob, I'm not talking about official discipline according to school rules. I'm talking about as a guidance counselor (many of these fourth-tier schools have them) giving a long-overdue in loco parentis intervention along the lines of, "If you don't want to be a failure in life you must learn these lessons."

In addition to the obvious concerns about 2nd amendment rights, 1st amendment rights, and overstepping by College officials about off campus events, there is a further issue about photographic "evidence." In short, a picture does not credibly prove, or even imply, that an event took place.

People may pose with replica guns or stage props for reasons of art, political expression, or "street cred." Even though I respect some of those reasons more than others, they are all valid, and my opinions about other people's "art" is not relevant. And in addition to replica firearms, there is also photoshop. So unless there are witnesses to corroborate events, a photo is not much of an indicator of what did or did not happen.

As an example, I can accept that a picture of a prohibited person holding a firearm could be probable cause for a warrant. But that only means there is enough justification to collect more evidence, not that there is enough proof to impose punishment.

It may very well have been motivated on race - scary black people with guns and all that. To assume that race was not possibly a factor is to deny reality.
Rob, would it really matter? I am southern born and raised, with plenty of Confederate pride. My wife, Jill, is Canadian born with Cajun roots and raised in Louisiana. Our daughters were born in my home state of Alabama, so I guess the liberals will just call us a family of unwashed rednecks. We are not control freaks as parents. We keep our share of firearms in our home and continue to educate our kids on their proper use. However, we have one rule that stands absolute: no gun photos on social media. Not a real gun, BB gun or water gun. No guns at all. Period!

Back
Top Bottom