1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

College suspends young mother for posing with gun at gun range. She’s suing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeyp, May 26, 2019.

1. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

I hope she wins an f-ton of money

College suspends young mother for posing with gun at gun range. She’s suing. | The College Fix

White assistant principal told black student she had a ‘mean look’

Florida’s First Coast Technical College has a low view of the U.S. and state constitutions, according to a federal lawsuit by a student who says she’s been suspended indefinitely.

gun range. She’s suing.
    GREG PIPER - ASSOCIATE EDITOR •MAY 24, 2019
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE: The College Fix on Facebook The College Fix on Twitter The College Fix on Youtube Share on Email
    [​IMG]
    White assistant principal told black student she had a ‘mean look’

Florida’s First Coast Technical College has a low view of the U.S. and state constitutions, according to a federal lawsuit by a student who says she’s been suspended indefinitely.

Dia’mon Dallas is suing the Florida college for violating her First and Fourteenth Amendment rights and retaliating against her in violation of the Florida Constitution, the Jacksonville Daily Record reports.

The college, which is part of the St. Johns County School District, suspended Dallas after another student reported a Facebook photo of her and her fiance “holding legally purchased and lawfully possessed firearms at a gun range in Palatka,” according to the lawsuit:

Two days after the photograph was posted, Dallas was confronted on the college’s St. Augustine campus by the assistant principal and informed that she was being suspended indefinitely for appearing in a picture holding a firearm.

During the suspension meeting, the assistant principal [Donna Gary-Donovan] said that in the posted picture, Dallas had a “mean look” on her face, was possessing “illegal guns” and stated that “things you do in the dark come in to the light,” according to the complaint. [Gary-Donovan is white.]

ridleyman likes this.

2. exodious

exodious

the media is turning this into a race thing when it’s more a hoplophobia thing. Principal seems to think all guns are illegal?

fstkmaro and xtry51 like this.
  3. robjax

robjax

can't really tell if her finger is inside the trigger guard and I wish she held the gun a little straighter, otherwise a nice pic. And since she was pointing at the camera I hope it was unloaded and there was nobody behind the camera...lol

4. mibro

mibro NES Member

Grip could use a little help.

Grip.jpg

Sauer Grapes and Uzi2 like this.
  5. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Im starting to think thats the key to preserving any rights we still have. Make it a black/brown/gay/women thing and just ride on their coat tails.

Super99Z, Bt74, T-Unit and 2 others like this.
  6. BigTimber

BigTimber NES Member

Gonna get paid.

Horrible and xjma99 like this.
  7. 01906

01906 NES Member

I don't agree with the college. She will get paid. I will admit I think the picture is in poor taste. The guy behind her has what appears to be a wad of cash in one hand, and a pistol in the other. I think most of us nesters would not post a picture like that. People would assume you were involved in shady business practices. But it's a free country do what you want.

ridleyman and edmxz2002 like this.
  8. exodious

exodious

Fixed it for you, comrade.

W.E.C, tuna, mibro and 3 others like this.
  9. KVX

KVX

Really ? Judgemental much ?

It's a good thing that you're not a law-maker......

or, are you ?

Horrible likes this.
  10. teamRR

teamRR

Im going to agree the picture is made to look gangsta. It's not the sort of gun handling most actual ranges would well accept, but I'm always happy to see a female gun enthusiast and there's no indication anything illegal was transpiring. She should win the lawsuit.

Also it's probably fair to say the sort of white gun enthusiasts who dress in tactical gear of some form day to day, own 58 different AR style rifles, 23 AKs, 3 SCARs, a few 50 BMGs, stock 20,000 rounds of ammo and enough mags to hold it, own a mil surplus hummer with a gun turret and a couple camo pickup trucks flying confederate flags, train regularly for the civil war they think is imminent etc etc.. well that's a culture many people find in poor taste too but it also isnt illegal.

11. 01906

01906 NES Member

If it walks like a duck.
    I think we are all judgmental. Or there wouldn't be such emphasis on first impressions.

Bt74, ridleyman and M1911 like this.
  12. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

No, it isn't illegal amd those "white gun enthusiasts" will most likely be the very people who save this country from complete oblivion.

Bt74 and xjma99 like this.
  13. Greg

Greg

Looks like she never held a gun before in her life.

Bt74 likes this.
  14. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

College official was/is an anti, headline made sure to point out he was white because thats what journalists do. Girl and her lawyer will probably turn it into a race issue because thats what works.

xjma99 likes this.
  15. jpk

jpk

Why people post photos is beyond my comprehension.......its truly darwinian

16. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Big gov thanks you for your support of their goal to remove the evils of society- guns and cash.

OK looks like you are catching a lot of crap for your comment. I agree it's not a classy pic and my gut was no, I would not post such a pic. However, I'm glad she did. There is nothing wrong (excepting possible safety no-no) with her pic and in fact it shows some spunk on her part. As they say, "You go, girl!".

17. 01906

01906 NES Member

I said in my original post. It's a free country do you want.

18. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

Aaaaaaannnnnd back to zero they go...

90mimb_pi3ezy71RB1wob7pj_540.jpg

ridleyman, Brewer, Prepper and 10 others like this.
  19. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Needs to be a little more 90 degrees.

xjma99 likes this.
  20. kalash

kalash

It's disgusting how many here are judging her for posting a f***ing picture. No one gives a damn if you think it's in poor taste, whether or not you like social media, etc - she wants to post a picture with a gun, she can go right ahead and do so and she shouldn't have to worry about what some paper-pushing dickhead in an ivory tower thinks of it.

drgrant, Bistro, DaLandLord and 17 others like this.
  21. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

Because people tend to post pics of things they enjoy?

Bistro, xjma99, Bill Katt and 2 others like this.
  22. jpk

jpk

To each their own.....

The way most people use social media is "look at me!....LOOK AT ME!!!"....and they give facebook pics of themselves that they no longer have control over and publish it for the world to see with no controls/limitations.......this imho is truly darwinian......

Some few select folks actually implement some sort of controls/privacy on fakebook/similar......but still are darwinian in the fact that they've now given fakebook and other tech masters their info...

Again....to each their own.......I just wish more people would consider the future consequences of social media that has openly stated that it hates you and your values.......

massgun and NHKevin like this.
  23. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

It may very well have been motivated on race - scary black people with guns and all that. To assume that race was not possibly a factor is to deny reality.

eboos, Bt74, TOY539 and 2 others like this.
  24. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain NES Member

This is exactly what the 2a needs. Take the strategy that gay rights used. They basically said, we don't give a shit if the way we live our life makes you feel uncomfortable, we're going to consistently throw it in your face until it becomes normal.

drgrant, Christian, Super99Z and 11 others like this.
  25. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

Posing like a "gangsta" in complete disregard for firearm safety and disrespect for the photographer, if it is a symptom of other anti-socialized attitudes in the woman, would make me consider discipline, but suspension doesn't come to mind. A humiliating dressing-down is more appropriate.

26. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

ChaChing

xjma99 likes this.
  27. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Assuming by "consider discipline", you are referring to the school. On what basis would you discipline a student for lawful off campus conduct?

drgrant, Picton, Jason Flare and 3 others like this.
  28. jimnasium

jimnasium

typical media. White principal told black student. God forbid they just print principal told student.No agenda here.

whalerman69, Jason Flare and Fixxah like this.
  29. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

Rob, I'm not talking about official discipline according to school rules. I'm talking about as a guidance counselor (many of these fourth-tier schools have them) giving a long-overdue in loco parentis intervention along the lines of, "If you don't want to be a failure in life you must learn these lessons."

NHKevin likes this.
  30. straightshooterjake

straightshooterjake

In addition to the obvious concerns about 2nd amendment rights, 1st amendment rights, and overstepping by College officials about off campus events, there is a further issue about photographic "evidence." In short, a picture does not credibly prove, or even imply, that an event took place.

People may pose with replica guns or stage props for reasons of art, political expression, or "street cred." Even though I respect some of those reasons more than others, they are all valid, and my opinions about other people's "art" is not relevant. And in addition to replica firearms, there is also photoshop. So unless there are witnesses to corroborate events, a photo is not much of an indicator of what did or did not happen.

As an example, I can accept that a picture of a prohibited person holding a firearm could be probable cause for a warrant. But that only means there is enough justification to collect more evidence, not that there is enough proof to impose punishment.

KVX, Brewer, Radtekk and 2 others like this.