• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

college son up against a&b charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need a criminal defense attorney, not an anonymous poster on NES. Don't post anymore about this. Go find an attorney in or near Belchertown. And go talk to your son and tell him to STFU.

If you want to crowd source a little advice from here, whether its the right thing to do or not "legally", you'd have to give a few more details of the case than what you did.

It's not the right thing to do. No more details, please.

Ok, since this thread probably needs hijacking... how about this:

Let's say that you end up arrested for something at some point. I got the parts about don't talk to them and ask for a lawyer, but then what?

Do you find yourself sitting there with a phone book randomly looking for a lawyer? How does this work?

Given the precarious nature of our rights in this state, I am thinking that finding a lawyer who is understanding of our predicament is a good thing.

Is there a list somewhere that I should consider?

We prepare for everything else, why not this?

My attorney (who handles all my Real Estate affairs) is on my speed dial. HE has very good relationships with some of the best attorney's in the state for all situations.

My attorney (who handles all my Real Estate affairs) is on my speed dial. HE has very good relationships with some of the best attorney's in the state for all situations.

It would depend on the circumstances under which you might need to talk to your lawyer, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have the number memorized. When we arrest someone, all their property, including cell phone, goes into a sealed/tamper evident property bag. The county jail actually shrink wraps arrestees' property onto a sheet of cardboard like an action figure blister pack. In any case, you won't get access to your phone or any numbers stored in its speed dial until you are released.

Shit happens. A friend's son was pushed against a wall by a drunk in a bar and swung hard in self defense. Crushed the guy's face and teeth and was arrested.

In situations like this LE might arrest everyone and let the DA sort it out. That's where a good lawyer is helpful, to show your side of the story.

The old phrase "Nothing good happens after midnight" is true...

It would depend on the circumstances under which you might need to talk to your lawyer, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have the number memorized. When we arrest someone, all their property, including cell phone, goes into a sealed/tamper evident property bag. The county jail actually shrink wraps arrestees' property onto a sheet of cardboard like an action figure blister pack. In any case, you won't get access to your phone or any numbers stored in its speed dial until you are released.

Yeah, I know. I would just call my wife, who would then get the lawyer.

- - - Updated - - -

The old phrase "Nothing good happens after midnight" is true...

Some of the best shit in my life happened after midnight. [wink]

The most he'll get is pre trial probation or continued without a finding. Either way aft 6 months or a yr it disappears. Lawyer will cost $2k probably. If you want a trial to clear his name, some district courts are backed up over a yr to get a trial date, plus it will cost more for lawyer costs.

If it was another student he could be expelled. It happened to me. From UMass Amherst. Albeit 20 years ago.

Best legal advice I can offer...

Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter-accusations

The most he'll get is pre trial probation or continued without a finding. Either way aft 6 months or a yr it disappears. Lawyer will cost $2k probably. If you want a trial to clear his name, some district courts are backed up over a yr to get a trial date, plus it will cost more for lawyer costs.

Plus, there is a very real chance of a conviction (regardless of merits of the case), and the courts punish people severely who do not play ball and take the CWOF.

That is only three of the big five.

You forgot "demand proof" and "attack the credibility of the witness".

Curiously, Intel did all 5 when confronted by the floating point bug with the Pentium P5 back in 1994.

NO! NO! NO!

Do not "deny" or make accusations.
Keep your mouth SHUT

The denials and/or accusations will be construed as misleading the police. The actual charge they file is "Witness Intimidation", but if you read the statute, misleading an investigator is one of the things that can/will trigger the charge.

If you deny being on third street, and they find a witness who says you were on third street, they'll charge you with witness intimidation because they have nothing else.

Do not "deny" or make accusations
The denial should be done under guidance of your attorney.

Although the defense does not have to prove anything, it is generally impractical for defense counsel to make an effective presentation without counsel, or the defendant, denying doing the deed. (assuming it is a case in which the issue is "who dunnit" rather than "was what he admits he did lawful").

That is only three of the big five.

You forgot "demand proof" and "attack the credibility of the witness".

Curiously, Intel did all 5 when confronted by the floating point bug with the Pentium P5 back in 1994.

NO! NO! NO!

Do not "deny" or make accusations.
Keep your mouth SHUT

The denials and/or accusations will be construed as misleading the police. The actual charge they file is "Witness Intimidation", but if you read the statute, misleading an investigator is one of the things that can/will trigger the charge.

If you deny being on third street, and they find a witness who says you were on third street, they'll charge you with witness intimidation because they have nothing else.

Well, actually, it was meant to be half serious, half joking (but still good advice from both of you).

Completely serious; asking legal advice, and providing details on an open web forum isn't the best way
to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom