• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Collector's Disease Strikes Again --> Enfield

USMA-82

NES Member
There I was just minding my own business at Four Seasons Friday afternoon, when along comes an Enfield No 4, Mk 1 that jumps into my hands! I swear I wasn't looking for one...

The gun had a mis-matched stock (beech and walnut?), but the bore looked like it was unfired - absolutely mint. And one look at the micrometer rear sight, and I was hooked. It appears to be a 1943 Maltby, but its really hard to tell - many of the markings are gone, other than the F (FTR)48, which I understand means a "Factory Thorough Repair" was conducted in 1948.

Anyway, I took it to the club yesterday, and went right to the 50-yard range figuring I'd be desperately searching for holes in paper otherwise. Was I ever shocked when during a 10-round string I put 5 in a group less than an inch in diameter! Obviously, this thing can shoot much better than I can. See below:

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

As before, I apologize for the quality of the pics - I'm working on it. By the way, I've seen these on the Southern Ohio Guns website for $105 (plus shipping), so I don't feel too bad paying Carl $119.95.

Crap! Now I need to buy some .303 Brit reloading dies..... Meanwhile, save some for me at the Wilmington Show!

KK

One day I went to the range alone with my Nr4 mk1. My wife surprised me and showed up after a little while. She forgot to bring her .38 to shoot so I asked her if she wanted to try the Enfield. She had never shot a high powered rifle so I was a little concerned it might bite her shoulder a bit.

I set up a bunch of clays on the 100 yard berm and gave her some rifle 'pointers'. She fired 4 rounds and killed 3 of the 4 pigeons she aimed at!

Those things are sweet to shoot.

Did they have any more? The SMLE is on my list of rifles to buy, and if Four Seasons has any, I'll stop by and look on the way back from Wilmington.

Gary

Gary:

There was this rifle and a No. 3 (?) that some fella had just brought in the day before. The No. 3 looked a little rough, but I was told the bore was in good shape - not shiny, but good.

The FS Used Gun webpage shows three SMLE's this morning, one of which is mine - so there might still be one there. I would call first thing Tuesday morning if you're interested, or better yet - drop Carl an email. He usually responds pretty quickly.

Good Luck!

Great looking rifle. They're out there and when you find one you just have to grab it, and for that price it definitely would have came home with me. The SOG rifles are usually India arsenal rifles with the ugly wood screw through the side of the stock. I got one a long time ago and am sorry I plunked down the cash I did for it as it has a worn crown and very little bluing. I've since picked up a beautiful Savage No4 and am very pleased with it. Something about returning a Massachusetts made rifle back home, and it looks and shoots like a dream.
As for ammo what you need to be on the look out for is this:

f38f4673.jpg

Its HXP. Greek production and non-corrosive, plus its pretty cheap. Someone was selling it at the Marlboro gun show and i'm betting they'll have it at Wilmington too. I've ehard this ammo is hard to find and people are buying it when they can so stock up if you see it.

Century is having a "Shot Show Special"

RI017G Enfield No. 4 MK I Long Branch Cal .303 British UK mfr. Condition
Good
Was $119.87 Now (3) for $225

RI1180G Enfield No. 4 MK I Rifle W/ Stacking Swivel Cal .303 British
Condition Good
Was $189.87 Now $159.87

RI1176GC Enfield No. 4 MK I Cal. 303 British Savage mfr. Good Condition w/
Cracked Stock
Was $149.87 each Now (3) for $399

These 3 fer specials we see pop up now and then... whats the chance of say someone here for example placing an order and spliting them with 2 other collectors?
Say for example JonJ ordered 3 Savage rifles for $399 and myself and GaryS each exchanged C&R licenses with him and gave him $133 each and we split the shipping 3 ways and each of us wound up with a rifle. Is that ok here in MA?
Unless 3 C&R license holders all knew each other well and went in on a deal like this to save cash, it'd probably never happen for real. I just wonder about the legality since the licenses were meant for collecting purposes and not dealing. I know there is a limit as to how many you're allowed to transfer before you can be considered "dealing" in C&R guns. It'd be a great way to save some cash and expand a collection.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
These 3 fer specials we see pop up now and then... whats the chance of say someone here for example placing an order and spliting them with 2 other collectors?
Say for example JonJ ordered 3 Savage rifles for $399 and myself and GaryS each exchanged C&R licenses with him and gave him $133 each and we split the shipping 3 ways and each of us wound up with a rifle. Is that ok here in MA?
Unless 3 C&R license holders all knew each other well and went in on a deal like this to save cash, it'd probably never happen for real. I just wonder about the legality since the licenses were meant for collecting purposes and not dealing. I know there is a limit as to how many you're allowed to transfer before you can be considered "dealing" in C&R guns. It'd be a great way to save some cash and expand a collection.
For 1, whoever ordered them and then "sold" them to the 2 others would be limited to being able to only sell 2 more firearms in that year (MASS).
2nd if you were audited by the BATF you'd be scrutinized for logging 3 in and then almost immediately logging 2 out. I suppose if you sat on them for a while it wouldn't look so bad but who'd want to wait that long.
The C&R is to enhance YOUR collection not to aid others.

We'd be better to try a group buy with the company. Get about 6 people together, order them at 1 time and have them ship individually. Try to at least make it worth their while.

I appreciate the thought, but I just got into this and don't want to draw anyone's attention. <G> I'm sure none of us want to end up on what might be termed a "Martha Stewart scholarship" anywhere. <G>

The Schmidit Rubin should be on the way and I've heard back from three other places that will honor my 03C&R so I'm really starting to look at other stuff.

I think a Mosin Nagant of some flavor is next. After that I'll start the search for a SMLE.

At some point, I'm sure a SKS will follow me home. That ought to keep me busy for a while.

Gary

I just used our names as an example because I was curious about the transfering/logging out part but I figured right in that it would look too much like a "sell" using the license. Not to say that I wouldn't include a fellow shooter from here in a great deal.
I can see it now... like 3 kids at christmas each picking a box then tearing them open to find out whats inside. [lol]

Back
Top Bottom