Collection Direction: WW2 Bolt Actions

So I'm trying to take stock on what I have and what I'm going to need to get the basic collection done. My goal is to have at least 1 BA from every major player during the war. Here is my list so far:

What I have:
Lithgow Enfield 1 SMLE Mk III(Aussie)
Arisaka M.99 (Japan)
Ex-Dragoon Mosin (Soviet)
M44 Mosin (Soviet)
K98 Russian Confiscated Mauser (Germany)

What I need:
Enfield 4 MK. 1 (UK)
MAS 36 (French)
Steyr-Mannlicher m1895 Carbine (Austria Pre-Mauser)
Springfield 1903 (United States)

Anything I should add to the list? Switch out, etc?

So I'm trying to take stock on what I have and what I'm going to need to get the basic collection done. My goal is to have at least 1 BA from every major player during the war. Here is my list so far:

What I have:
Lithgow Enfield 1 SMLE Mk III(Aussie)
Arisaka M.99 (Japan)
Ex-Dragoon Mosin (Soviet)
M44 Mosin (Soviet)
K98 Russian Confiscated Mauser (Germany)

What I need:
Enfield 4 MK. 1 (UK)
MAS 36 (French)
Steyr-Mannlicher m1895 Carbine (Austria Pre-Mauser)
Springfield 1903 (United States)

Anything I should add to the list? Switch out, etc?

Model-1917 Enfield

+1 on the 1917. They're underrated, but solid guns. Well worth owning one.

You need to add an Italian Carcano M1891,a VZ-24 (Romania and/or Hungary?), maybe a Norwegian Krag-Jørgensen?

Here's your list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_World_War

Allies
Soviet Union (1941-45)
United States (1941-45)
United Kingdom
China (at war 1937-45)
France (1939-40, 1944-45)
Free France (1940-44)
Poland
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa South Africa
Yugoslavia (1941-45)
Belgium (1940-45)
Netherlands (1940-45)
Greece (1940-45)
Norway (1940-45)
and others

Axis and Axis-aligned
Germany
Japan (at war 1937-45)
Italy (1940-43)
Romania (1941-44)
Hungary (1940-45)
Finland (1941-44)
Bulgaria (1941-44)
Iraq (1941)
Thailand (1941-45)
and others

+1 on the 1917. They're underrated, but solid guns. Well worth owning one.

You need to add an Italian Carcano M1891,a VZ-24 (Romania and/or Hungary?), maybe a Norwegian Krag-Jørgensen?

Here's your list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_World_War

Allies
Soviet Union (1941-45)
United States (1941-45)
United Kingdom
China (at war 1937-45)
Free France (1940-44)
Poland
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa South Africa
Yugoslavia (1941-45)
Belgium (1940-45)
Netherlands (1940-45)
Greece (1940-45)
Norway (1940-45)

and others

Axis and Axis-aligned
Germany
Japan (at war 1937-45)
Italy (1940-43)
Romania (1941-44)
Hungary (1940-45)
Finland (1941-44)
Bulgaria (1941-44)
Iraq (1941)
Thailand (1941-45)
and others

Yikes... Ok I'm going to narrow that list to the major players (My opinion of course...)

Allies:
Soviet Union (1941-45)
United States (1941-45)
United Kingdom
China (at war 1937-45)
Free France (1940-44)
Poland
Australia
Belgium (1940-45)
Greece (1940-45)

Axis:
Germany
Japan (at war 1937-45)
Italy (1940-43)
Austria (Left out man!) [laugh]
Finland (1941-44)

I'm definitely adding the Italian Carcano to the list, can't believe I forgot that. Thinking about adding the 17 too.

A Finn 91 or 91/30, or M27 or M28. My personal favorite, M28. Thats the rifle used by the famous Finn sniper during WW2.

This is the list of major players (and their main battle rifle) I used as a reference when I began the same quest. It includes 6 rifles.

Allied:

UK- Enfield No. 4
US- M1 Garand
USSR- Mosin Nagant M91/30

Axes:

Germany- Mauser K98
Italy- Carcano (they fielded different models, pick one)
Japan- Arisaka T99

I would not include the French as they only lasted 3 weeks and therefore are not a major player. To not include the M1 is a mistake as it was the main battle rifle for the US. From there I would expand the list to add secondary rifles and minor countries as you find them.

This is the list of major players (and their main battle rifle) I used as a reference when I began the same quest. It includes 6 rifles.

Allied:

UK- Enfield No. 4
US- M1 Garand
USSR- Mosin Nagant M91/30

Axes:

Germany- Mauser K98
Italy- Carcano (they fielded different models, pick one)
Japan- Arisaka T99

I would not include the French as they only lasted 3 weeks and therefore are not a major player. To not include the M1 is a mistake as it was the main battle rifle for the US. From there I would expand the list to add secondary rifles and minor countries as you find them.

you should get a nice Beretta handgun in that collection.

Beretta played a pretty big role during the war. First producing guns for Italy, then when Italy surrendered, the germans forced them to make guns for them, but at the same time Beretta supplied the underground movement in Italy with guns. And that same underground movement they helped, later on saved the owners lives, when the Germans tried to kill them.

My grand father was in the Italian cavalry at the time (they still used horses) and he loved his beretta handgun, and his carcano rifle. He had to carry that rifle on horseback for 3 days, non-stop (that was the officers last training before graduation).

My grate grandfather, was also an officer, but during WWI, he also loved Beretta.

Beretta also produced some fairly good semi-auto rifles for Italy.

You have to pick up an Enfield 4 MK 1*

One was made in Canada, called the Longbranch.

The other was made right here in Chicopee, MA, by Savage/Stevens. It was a lend/lease rifle so it is stamped US PROPERTY on the left side of the receiver. They are a bit harder to find (but not really) and they shoot great. 303 British can be a bitch to find for a decent price though.

After I had my M1 Carbine & Garand, this was the first rifle I searched out.

You have to pick up an Enfield 4 MK 1*

One was made in Canada, called the Longbranch.

The other was made right here in Chicopee, MA, by Savage/Stevens. It was a lend/lease rifle so it is stamped US PROPERTY on the left side of the receiver. They are a bit harder to find (but not really) and they shoot great. 303 British can be a bitch to find for a decent price though.

The collecting the different models and makers of Enfields that were fielded in WWII would be a time consuming endeavor all on its own.
The No. 4 Mk I and Mk I*

ROF (F) Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley United Kingdom MK. 1
ROF (M) Royal Ordnance Factory Maltby United Kingdom Mk. 1
B Birmingham Small Arms Co. Ltd United Kingdom Mk. 1
M47C Birmingham Small Arms Factory (Shirley) United Kingdom Mk. I
Longbranch Longbranch Arsenal Canada Mk. I*
US PROPERTY Savage Arms U.S. Mk. I*

Both Lithgow (Australia) and the Ishapore (India) factories made and fielded the No. 1 Mk. III* during WWII so you will need to add those. In addition, the UK had switched over production of the Enfield to the No. 4, they also continued to assemble the No. 1 Mk. III* during WWII under a dispersal program with left over parts.

In addition to the No.'s 1 and 4 the UK also fielded the No. 5 Jungle Carbine starting in late 1944. I believe only the ROF F factory made these during WWII.

THe hardest part about collecting Milsurps is knowing where the rational boundaries of your collection should end.

The collecting the different models and makers of Enfields that were fielded in WWII would be a time consuming endeavor all on its own.
The No. 4 Mk I and Mk I*

ROF (F) Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley United Kingdom MK. 1
ROF (M) Royal Ordnance Factory Maltby United Kingdom Mk. 1
B Birmingham Small Arms Co. Ltd United Kingdom Mk. 1
M47C Birmingham Small Arms Factory (Shirley) United Kingdom Mk. I
Longbranch Longbranch Arsenal Canada Mk. I*
US PROPERTY Savage Arms U.S. Mk. I*

Both Lithgow (Australia) and the Ishapore (India) factories made and fielded the No. 1 Mk. III* during WWII so you will need to add those. In addition, the UK had switched over production of the Enfield to the No. 4, they also continued to assemble the No. 1 Mk. III* during WWII under a dispersal program with left over parts.

In addition to the No.'s 1 and 4 the UK also fielded the No. 5 Jungle Carbine starting in late 1944. I believe only the ROF F factory made these during WWII.

THe hardest part about collecting Milsurps is knowing where the rational boundaries of your collection should end.

+1 I'm still trying to find those boundaries.............

Don't forget a trench gun!

If you're going to do the "uesd in the war" parameter....a LOT of stuff was used, just 'cause it was on hand!

For weirdness: Japanese Type I - a carcano action, made by the Italians for the Japanese. I ran across one, and had to consult 3 references to figure out what it was...then an "old guy" told me what it was off the cuff! [laugh]

Get a couple of books, so that you can narrow down and refine your search...then get a second job! [wink]

Just to add a little flavor to the "Battle" rifles, one could add a Swiss K31 as the most significant "Non-battle" bolt action of the European Theater. Although the K31 never played a major role as a defensive/offensive weapon, it was widely issued as a military firearm as a protector of sovereignty/neutrality and played that role very well.

Just to add a little flavor to the "Battle" rifles, one could add a Swiss K31 as the most significant "Non-battle" bolt action of the European Theater. Although the K31 never played a major role as a defensive/offensive weapon, it was widely issued as a military firearm as a protector of sovereignty/neutrality and played that role very well.

This is why there in such good condition and very accurate too because they have never been used in war time conditions. The only problem with the k31's is from being stood up in the frozen snow at night. The end of the stocks are black from being wet.

Back
Top Bottom