• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Collapsable baton

M.G.L Ch.239 Sec. 10(b) is the one that comes to mind.

It’s okay to have the baton but not when committing a crime. Big question is “provided by law”.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Are collapsable batons legal for civilians to carry in
Massachusetts
Since Police officers are civilians, as they are not part of a Military Branch covered by the Uniform Code of Military Justice, nor are they Uniformed Members of the Military of another nation, nor are they irregular non-state actors, and they can carry batons, why is this even a question?

Police officers can have collapsible batons, so can general people, so long as you are not committing a crime with it.

Are collapsable batons legal for civilians to carry in
Massachusetts
Use a coin sap wallet. They carry exactly $10 worth of quarters, hit as hard as a blackjack and can even be legally carried on planes, cruise ships and in foreign countries. Carry them empty when going through TSA and cruise ship screening checkpoints. Unlike a folding batons, these items are coin purses. Two D-cell Maglights are another, very effective, and totally legal option for an impact weapon.

Since Police officers are civilians, as they are not part of a Military Branch covered by the Uniform Code of Military Justice, nor are they Uniformed Members of the Military of another nation, nor are they irregular non-state actors, and they can carry batons, why is this even a question?

Police officers can have collapsible batons, so can general people, so long as you are not committing a crime with it.
Police officers also can possess post 86 machine guns as well as short barrelled shotguns, rifles, suppressors and post-ban magazines in MA. You try doing that. You will be arrested, jailed and aggressively prosecuted. BTW, police officers also have LEOSA privileges; something us real civilians can only dream of! Any cop can go to NYC with a handgun. As a civilian, NYCs prosecutors will crucify you for illegal carry and you will go to a NY state prison for a minimum mandatory 3.5 years. That is the difference between LEOs and us peons.

Police officers also can possess post 86 machine guns as well as short barrelled shotguns, rifles, suppressors and post-ban magazines in MA. You try doing that. You will be arrested, jailed and aggressively prosecuted. BTW, police officers also have LEOSA privileges; something us real civilians can only dream of! Any cop can go to NYC with a handgun. As a civilian, NYCs prosecutors will crucify you for illegal carry and you will go to a NY state prison for a minimum mandatory 3.5 years. That is the difference between LEOs and us peons.
Really? Where are you getting your info?

I hope so. I have like 6 of them floating around my house and vehicle. Honestly I’d rather have a 4 D cell mag light. More useful, better as an actual club and no legal questions

This. I actually own a bunch of 2,3 and 4d mag lites. The old ones made for police to club people with. Put an LED kit in them. They make great flashlights for vehicles. They batteries in a 3D light last FOREVER with an LED.

watch the TSA aholes, I got jammed up at Logan one morning with a bunch of wrenches and ratchets and they said checked baggage or hand them over

the limit is 7 inches for tools

according to their website flashlights are OK, but the single digit IQ drone at the checkpoint has final say

J-roc makes more sense than this post.

View: https://youtu.be/neOJdj1jVPc

Use a coin sap wallet. They carry exactly $10 worth of quarters, hit as hard as a blackjack and can even be legally carried on planes, cruise ships and in foreign countries. Carry them empty when going through TSA and cruise ship screening checkpoints. Unlike a folding batons, these items are coin purses. Two D-cell Maglights are another, very effective, and totally legal option for an impact weapon.
Amazing idea. I bought one tonight. But here is the reference I would use for a baton:

Are police officers in the United States subject to the UCMJ? Are they members of a foreign military force covered by a system of Martial Law like the UCMJ? Do they get their authority from Civil Legal Structure or a Martial Legal Structure?

Cops are Civilians in the United States.

Civilian:

Merriam Webster
> one not on active duty in the armed services or not on a police or firefighting force

Dictionary.com
> a person who is not on active duty with a military, naval, police, or fire fighting organization.

Oxford dictionary
> a person who is not a member of the armed forces or the police

Let's not get bogged down in pedantry.

oc spray is often much more effective than a club and is much easier to defend in court, that being said I keep a 24" handled fiskars axe under the back seat of my truck within reach. Don't think anyone would f*** with a pissed of dude with an axe. Big ball peen or framing hammer would also work well.

Last edited:
Civilian:

Merriam Webster
> one not on active duty in the armed services or not on a police or firefighting force

Dictionary.com
> a person who is not on active duty with a military, naval, police, or fire fighting organization.

Oxford dictionary
> a person who is not a member of the armed forces or the police

Let's not get bogged down in pedantry.
My point is that the traditional definition does not include police as we know them in the united states. Shit, my stepson would say that people who don't work in a restaurant kitchen are "civilians"
Legal Definitions matter more than dictionary ones in this case.

My point is that the traditional definition does not include police as we know them in the united states.

Fair point; I believe OP used the term civilian in its dictionary meaning (likely as shorthand for "non-legally privileged") not in its legal one, which is why I find it more relevant.

I'd seriously suggest finding another weapon. Flashlight, cane, or umbrella look alot more innocent.
I agree with this. Firstly, a baton doesn't have as much reach as you'd think, you'd still have to get pretty close to someone to use it and the length allows them to be able to grab it easier. There are a few things that can be concealed in plain sight and easy to carry, one of my faves is the Cold Steel Pocket Shark. It's a felt pen, but it's comically oversize and made of a hard polymer. If you hit someone in a bone with this it could fracture it easily.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlpetoMc-Nw

Are police officers in the United States subject to the UCMJ? Are they members of a foreign military force covered by a system of Martial Law like the UCMJ? Do they get their authority from Civil Legal Structure or a Martial Legal Structure?

Cops are Civilians in the United States.
They have LEOSA nationwide carry and powers of arrest. Do you

Back
Top Bottom