• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cold weather FAIL

So I decided to brave the cold and get a little practice in. Drew my revolver, pulled the trigger as I came on target, and . . . NOTHING

A fold of fabric from my glove had gotten inside the trigger guard, behind the trigger.

Lesson learned - this is another way practice can save your life

Nice reminder to watch for clothes interfering with firearms, especially when geared up for this bitter weather.

Also, be aware of what your lube will do in this weather. My general purpose go-to has been RemOil, but it turns to jelly in this stuff. Marvel Mystery Oil or FP-10 work fine in below zero temps.

Cold temperatures are why I like to lube my carry guns with grease, it takes some Arctic circle level temps to change the consistency.

While not so much self-defense gun related. I've found the cold kills my Ruger Mk4. CCI standard and Mini-mags don't function as the wax does not mix with the cold, Federal Auto-match and other less-waxy cartridges work a little better, but still have big problems feeding.

Any natural lube in these temperatures turns to a wax or syrup. Materials in magazines and parts contracting from the cold may cause unusual mechanical failures or misfeeding.

Mobil 1 grease service limit is minus 40, so all my M1's and M14 should be OK. Planning a test tomorrow AM- should be minus 10 to minus 8 at my range.

Nice reminder to watch for clothes interfering with firearms, especially when geared up for this bitter weather.

Also, be aware of what your lube will do in this weather. My general purpose go-to has been RemOil, but it turns to jelly in this stuff. Marvel Mystery Oil or FP-10 work fine in below zero temps.

If your EDC is snuggled up to your hip, it should be nice and toasty for the first mag and feed as fine as on a range day in July. It's the followup ones where you might be dealing with cold sink.

First you have to get there. Even with the anti-gel stuff, the diesel didn't like -12 temp this morning. That's why I'm home writing this.

Pocket carry a striker fire revolver. Ruger LCR 38 special.
Reliable and nothing to catch clothing.

The good news is that the bad guy trying to shoot you probably pays even less attention to his gat

The one thing that never happened before will happen when you need your handgun.

That is why I carry the older model PPS. Almost nothing on the sides to get caught on clothing, no safety and the mag release is on the trigger guard, making it very hard to drop your mag by accident when drawing....and it is a proven gun.

I'm not happy the new PPS doesn't have the same mag release. I guess too many guys complaining it wasn't good for their manicure.

First you have to get there. Even with the anti-gel stuff, the diesel didn't like -12 temp this morning. That's why I'm home writing this.
Cold is tough
My great uncle said they would remove the grease from their garands when in northern Italy when they knew they would be at higher elevations for a long time. The grease was used like chap stick. He also said the tracked vehicles would be stripped of grease to help prevent problems and it made a good fire enhancer.
Know your lube and its limits. Often from all I have been told is when if comes to fire arm lube most use to much.

i still can't fathom why op (44marty) went to the range yesterday. obviously younger than i am. i haven't been more than 4 feet away from the wood stove for more than 5 minutes when i'm home in the last 2 weeks

watch out for getting your wool glove stuck in the shell latches on your 870 ;)

i still can't fathom why op (44marty) went to the range yesterday. obviously younger than i am. i haven't been more than 4 feet away from the wood stove for more than 5 minutes when i'm home in the last 2 weeks

Same here. OMG, I'm that old man that hangs by the wood stove and complains about the cold all the time.
YIKES!!! I'm turning into my father!

watch out for getting your wool glove stuck in the shell latches on your 870 ;)

That's still not as bad as getting your beard stuck in the action while doing some fast pass shooting at flying ducks!
I saw my cousin do that, he still has a bald spot on his chin from it.

Plutzing.gif

"Hey Dave, it looks like your shotgun needs a haircut"

or getting worse than M1 thumb from an 1100 'cuz the extractor spears through by the end of your thumb (whilst adult-loading for a Boy Scout) :eek:

Back
Top Bottom