• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cold steel rubber handle replacement with wood , bone, micarta etc

my 30 yr old cold steel tanto rubber grip is rotting off ; does anyone know a blade smith that can replace in with a better material ?

Yours lasted that long? I had one of their rubber-handle knives. Crapton B or whatever. It was loose within a few years of just handling.

Yours lasted that long? I had one of their rubber-handle knives. Crapton B or whatever. It was loose within a few years of just handling.

Exactly. Rubber handled knives never last long term.
I have a kitchen knife that has a lifetime warranty with a rubber handle. When the handle starts coming apart I email the a few pictures and they send me a new knife.

Bob

Which is better - Flex Seal,
or that stuff you buy in the hardware store
for dipping the handles of pliers, etc?

I've never handled Flex Seal, but it does so much ( [rolleyes] )
that I have to wonder if it's a better handle dip
than the decades old stuff that's hawked purely as a handle dip and nothing else.

than the decades old stuff that's hawked purely as a handle dip and nothing else.

‘not this stuff, right?

00C991A3-B3D8-4E9E-B9D0-D677ACE7C10A.jpeg

You’re talking about plastidip

It was first that small can, but has gotten really popular since it started to come in spray cans

Putting a wood handle on it might sound easy and may very well be. It depends if your tang has at least one hole that can be used for a pin. If it doesn’t, then good luck with that. I can almost guarantee you that putting a new handle out of some decent (aka stabilized) wood on there will set you back what a new cold steel tanto cost If the blade smith is worth his salt.
get a Busse, Fallkniven, or similar high end knife. You’ll pass that on to your grandkids.

I literally, just used this yesterday and today:
Seems good. More of a flat rubber finish.
I dipped some old tools 4x each. You can recoat in 30 mins.
Read Amazon reviews--- do NOT buy on Amazon. Seems like bouncing around during shipping causes air bubbles. This stuff is thick.
I got mine at HD. I let it sit for a week.
I de-rusted my tools and cleaned with acetone, then denatured alcohol.
I stirred it slowly for about 3 minutes.
You dip it slow. 5 sec per inch. and remove at the same rate.
hang it, let it dry. I did this 4x over about 3-4 hours.

once you open the can, it starts to cure. you can feel it getting thicker.
Can is tall, but you will eventually run the level down and not be able to get a full dip.
can top is very narrow. I just barely fit a set of dikes in it.
I'll take a picture if I can.

Durability, we'll see.

Putting a wood handle on it might sound easy and may very well be. It depends if your tang has at least one hole that can be used for a pin. If it doesn’t, then good luck with that. I can almost guarantee you that putting a new handle out of some decent (aka stabilized) wood on there will set you back what a new cold steel tanto cost If the blade smith is worth his salt.
get a Busse, Fallkniven, or similar high end knife. You’ll pass that on to your grandkids.

This.

You can also call CS and see what they can do. They may be able to put a new rubber handle on it as well.

I’m guessing that the knife has some sentimental value to you and if it does I understand that you want what you want.

Bob

Last edited:
similar but different

...I think what people may be implying is that we want to see pics...

I'd echo the advice to call their customer service and see what's up. Other than that, @frenchman is 100% correct up above: if there are no holes in the tang, you're going to have a very expensive time rehandling this. I'm sure there are companies like Behring in Montana that would be happy to do it for you, but you'd be paying many, many times the cost of the knife to get that done.

Don’t they have a lifetime warranty?

Bob
Yes they do.
I have a kitchen knife that has a lifetime warranty with a rubber handle. When the handle starts coming apart I email the a few pictures and they send me a new knife.

Bob
Good idea. I have a set of their steak knives and kitchen carving set and a few steak knives are now missing chunks of rubber. I've dreaded packing them securely and shipping them back so they just sit. Time to take pictures and contact them.

Bob
These are what we use for kitchen duty. Bought 4 of each during a CS closeout sale about 10 years ago. These 3 get daily use. The other 5 are kept in reserve. Many trips through the dishwasher, but still look and perform great.

Attachments

• 20210202_062206.jpg
    20210202_062206.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 8
OP: If you can come up with a nice piece of hickory blank, bore a hole to accept the tang (assuming it's rat-tail), Fill hole with epoxy and insert tang. Jig up nice and straight. Let cure. Shape handle to suit your hand.

My Cold Steel SRK's handle loosened after a couple years. Been meaning to fix it but, I just buy other knives.
:)

Back
Top Bottom