• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cold frames

Mostly for kales, chads, Pok choy, and other greens. Once the frost comes most of the root crops get pulled and put in root cellar boxes for the winter.

Mostly for kales, chads, Pok choy, and other greens. Once the frost comes most of the root crops get pulled and put in root cellar boxes for the winter.

Thanks! Do your boxes not protect against the frost well? Any experience with using compost in the boxes to offset the cold? Would love to see your root cellar setup as well. That is a new one on me.

I use old styrofoam coolers filled with slightly damp leave for root cellar boxes. I store them in my front hall over the winter. I can usually store carrots long enough to get thru till the ground thaws enough to dig parsnips.
I've done 'hot' frames in the past with horse crap. Not worth the effort.
If you haven't checked it out yet get the book 'putting food by'. It's full of all kinds of tips on preserving the harvest.

I use old styrofoam coolers filled with slightly damp leave for root cellar boxes. I store them in my front hall over the winter. I can usually store carrots long enough to get thru till the ground thaws enough to dig parsnips.
I've done 'hot' frames in the past with horse crap. Not worth the effort.
If you haven't checked it out yet get the book 'putting food by'. It's full of all kinds of tips on preserving the harvest.
Thank you brother, I will check out that book!

- - - Updated - - -

This guy is in Vermont, he has some awesome ideas;

Combustion-Free Hot Water at the Whole Systems Research Farm VT
Awesome! Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom