Cody Wilson Finally Beats the State Department

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article is a gold mine. I snagged a copy of the Liberator files years ago, and could probably print one out on my Photon. A SLS printer could do far more...

Wow! Yuge!! Big win!

Inventor Wins Free Speech Battle with DOJ to Distribute 3D-Printed Gun Designs | Breitbart

SAF founder and executive vice president Alan Gottlieb said, “Not only is this a First Amendment victory for free speech, it also is a devastating blow to the gun prohibition lobby. For years, anti-gunners have contended that modern semi-automatic sport-utility rifles are so-called ‘weapons of war,’ and with this settlement, the government has acknowledged they are nothing of the sort.”

Just got an email from the s.a.f. with this little nugget..

"Significantly, the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military."

Paging mizz healey, are you ready to do some losing?

So the Feds as part of this settlement basically acknowledged that Assault Weapons are a political fabrication?

Second Amendment Foundation

"Significantly, the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military."

Reactions: CAR
Bump. This guy got the Federal Government to define Assault Weapons in a rational way. Can the new SCOTUS use this when one of the State Bans gets there?

So the Feds as part of this settlement basically acknowledged that Assault Weapons are a political fabrication?

Second Amendment Foundation

Reactions: 92G
Bump. This guy got the Federal Government to define Assault Weapons in a rational way EXPLICLITLY EXCLUDING AR-15 and "similar firearms". Can the new SCOTUS use this when one of the State Bans gets there?

The DOJ is part of the Executive branch of government. Will these DOJ statements sway the courts?

Is this settlement awesome? Absolutely. It means that gun control is in fact dying as now the plans to build any small arm will not only be freely available on the Internet, they will soon become ubiquitous.

That said, we need to be realistic here. There is no precedent set here. This was not a SCOTUS decision. It was a settlement. Nothing more. Will the government look stupid in the future if they decide to change policy, yes, but they still have the power to change policy.

Further, the DOJ is NOT in any way "Pro-gun." Trump has NOT drained the swamp contrary to republicans beliefs. In fact the DOJ is solidly antigun.

From Alan Gura:

"This administration maintained the Obama DOJ's cert petition in Binderup (denied 7-2), and has consistently opposed all other as-applied Second Amendment challenges, including Kanter (they won, Kanter appealed), Hatfield (they lost and just appealed), Medina (they won and Medina, repped by me on appeal, appealed, argument 9/11), and Reyes(being litigated now...)," Gura says in an email today. "They have also continued defending the appeal in Mance[regarding gun purchases across state lines]—they had over a year to change their mind, see the light, and admit that the district court was right, but they stuck to their appeal which unfortunately they won, and are defending against the currently-pending en banc petition. There are other cases they defend, some of course less meritorious, but any notion that Trump is pro-gun and having DOJ roll over would be fantasy."

The more likely factor behind the settlement, Gura believes, is that the government "realized that not a single 5th Circuit judge offered that they were likely to succeed on the merits. To the contrary, the centerpiece of their victory was that they could somehow avoid the merits. When they could avoid the merits no longer, suddenly the national security threat faded away."

The Goverment Will Allow Cody Wilson's Defense Distributed to Distribute Gun-Making Software

The government isn't "allowing" anything......the natural and free exercise of a constitutionally protected right has just been wrested from their illegally prohibiting hands, back to the control of the individual(all of us)......as it should be.

Why? What has he actually done?

Pretty much nothing, except perhaps appoint some agency heads that don't want to have a 1A/2A case go to court and potentially make their boss look bad. A full blown court loss would have also made "the government look bad" and perhaps create precedent they didn't want to deal with later... so this was likely a tactical withdrawal as much as a political one.

I would say that this settlement is a downstream consequence of a Trump presidency, but I would bet that he probably didn't even have much of a clue that it was going on.

If this was shitlery clinton the odds of her admin doubling down on the stupid would have increased by a factor of 10.

-Mike

That's not really legally binding in any circumstance. Neither is healy's bullshit, as well. [rofl] The only acknowledgement is in the context of the role and intent of the ITAR regulations. The intent of things like ITAR
was supposed to be to prevent COMPLICATED things like missile guidance systems, and other esoteric, advanced military/aviation/space technology from ending up in the hands of non-friendly nations. Small arms do not
and should not really even be under the purview of ITAR. The gov always just "went there" because it gave them more power.

-Mike

Had to laugh at this...

"Of course, that mission seemed more relevant when Wilson first began dreaming it up, before a political party with no will to rein in
America’s gun death epidemic held control of Congress, the White House, and likely soon the Supreme Court".

Reactions: TLB
With his new legal victory and the Pandora's box of DIY weapons it opens, Wilson says he's finally fulfilling that mission. “All this Parkland stuff, the students, all these dreams of ‘common sense gun reforms'? No. The internet will serve guns, the gun is downloadable.” Wilson says now. “No amount of petitions or die-ins or anything else can change that."

The guy’s a patriot. [thumbsup]

Is this settlement awesome? Absolutely. It means that gun control is in fact dying as now the plans to build any small arm will not only be freely available on the Internet, they will soon become ubiquitous.

That said, we need to be realistic here. There is no precedent set here. This was not a SCOTUS decision. It was a settlement. Nothing more. Will the government look stupid in the future if they decide to change policy, yes, but they still have the power to change policy.

Further, the DOJ is NOT in any way "Pro-gun." Trump has NOT drained the swamp contrary to republicans beliefs. In fact the DOJ is solidly antigun.

From Alan Gura:

"This administration maintained the Obama DOJ's cert petition in Binderup (denied 7-2), and has consistently opposed all other as-applied Second Amendment challenges, including Kanter (they won, Kanter appealed), Hatfield (they lost and just appealed), Medina (they won and Medina, repped by me on appeal, appealed, argument 9/11), and Reyes(being litigated now...)," Gura says in an email today. "They have also continued defending the appeal in Mance[regarding gun purchases across state lines]—they had over a year to change their mind, see the light, and admit that the district court was right, but they stuck to their appeal which unfortunately they won, and are defending against the currently-pending en banc petition. There are other cases they defend, some of course less meritorious, but any notion that Trump is pro-gun and having DOJ roll over would be fantasy."

The more likely factor behind the settlement, Gura believes, is that the government "realized that not a single 5th Circuit judge offered that they were likely to succeed on the merits. To the contrary, the centerpiece of their victory was that they could somehow avoid the merits. When they could avoid the merits no longer, suddenly the national security threat faded away."

The Goverment Will Allow Cody Wilson's Defense Distributed to Distribute Gun-Making Software
Settlements can serve as precedents.

Could this be challenged again? Maybe. But good luck putting that genie back in the bottle.

As far as SCOTUS, Trump is doing better than HRC would have done there also.

The DC swamp is so monstrous, I don't think it really can be drained. The vast majority of governments workers (DC leaches) are about self enrichment and preservation. These types certainly hate Trump, which I like.

Get Ready!

It won't be more than two weeks, before the FBI Stages a Mass "Shooting" ( Where nobody actually Dies ), using more than "Conveniently"...A "Ghost Gun" and 'Crisis Actors', to Try and "Put the genie back in the bottle". Possibly even this Friday the 13th.

Fraud Trump and the entire republican party, will be leading the charge with their democrat Comrades in Trying to Ban Ghost Guns after that.

Just once, in all of these what I believe to be Staged shootings, could we see actual Proof through: Clear, Time Stamped, HD videos of the Alleged "Shooting" from start to finish.

Last edited:
That's not really legally binding in any circumstance. Neither is healy's bullshit, as well. [rofl] The only acknowledgement is in the context of the role and intent of the ITAR regulations. The intent of things like ITAR
was supposed to be to prevent COMPLICATED things like missile guidance systems, and other esoteric, advanced military/aviation/space technology from ending up in the hands of non-friendly nations. Small arms do not
and should not really even be under the purview of ITAR.
The gov always just "went there" because it gave them more power.

-Mike
Bingo. The government abused ITAR (existing) statute to get the end result that it wanted. Ban the sharing of information that allows people to gain access to firearms.

This a a huge win for the fight against tyranny, IMHO. It's a backup against overbearing gun control efforts in the event that drastic measures are needed to preserve freedom and justice.

Wired did an article that DD is now painstakingly creating files for common firearms, trying to ensure that they are as accurate as humanly possible. Apparently they're using manual calipers rather than a laser scanner to measure everything.

Holy shit. I want to see the actual text of that. I don't see it here: You are being redirected...

The article is a gold mine. I snagged a copy of the Liberator files years ago, and could probably print one out on my Photon. A SLS printer could do far more...
I made some of the parts on a Stratasys machine with ABS. It was the same machine he used for the test fired parts.

What they don’t really show you is that the case expands against the plastic. It has to be pounded out with a dowel.

Kind of a yawn, though, a hardware store has a lot more options if you are into making improvised devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom