Coast Guard Leaving local shooting range for Devens

Slightly OT, but I went looking for info on the Devens range mentioned in the article. Found this site that had some info. It mentions the "Fort Devens Rifle and Pistol Club" as the only civilian organization that use the range. Does anyone have info on this group? There is very little on the web about them.

I used to be a member of the Fort Devens club. Unfortunately, shortly after I joined a new commander was appointed at Fort Devens and it appeared that one of his main goals was to basically eliminate civilian access to the ranges. He made it basically impossible to use them.

I haven't been a member of the club in a number of years. It would not surprise me if it no longer exists.

I love this quote:

The patrolmen's union has complained that Leanos and Beaudette seem obsessed by the need for firearms' training. It has been more than three years since a firearm has been discharged in the line of duty in this community,

The firemen's union has complained that Leanos and Beaudette seem obsessed by the need for Hose training. It has been more than three years since a hose has been discharged in the line of duty in this community,

My brain hurts...[crying]

I had the good fortune to attend a briefing by the current commander of United States Army Garrison, Fort Devens, Mass (yep the name's back) LTC Nott back in March and he told us (a group of retired military officers) about all the changes that are happening there.

Many people are not aware that the Army never totally pulled out of Fort Devens. The Army kept the former 10th Special Forces Group area and stationed about a battalion's worth of active troops there to support the Guard, Reserve and ROTC activities in the region. The Marines and Navy also moved in and they have support elements of active duty personnel to support reserve activities for their services as well. Even though the post housing is gone and much of the former Intelligence School area is gone and is now privatized, the Army kept the South Post Training Area for the Guard and Reserves to use. LTC Nott was quite proud of the fact that plenty of money has been pumped into the South Post Training Area to significantly upgrade the ranges, and they now have some nice facilities with more improvements and upgrades in the planning stages.

The name change back from the Reserve Forces Training Area to US Army Garrison, Fort Devens has been fairly recent. The civilianized part of the post is still referred to as Devens. Because of our current wars in the Middle East, Ft Devens has assumed a greater significance than was previously thought by the idiots who ran the BRAC Commission. The only other Army installations in the Northeast are West Point, Ft Drum and Natick Army Labs. There needed to be something in the middle of New England. At any given time now, there are 2,000 to 3,000 troops on Ft Devens training and preparing to go to war.

Mark L.

I love this quote:" The patrolmen's union has complained that Leanos and Beaudette seem obsessed by the need for firearms' training. It has been more than three years since a firearm has been discharged in the line of duty in this community,"

I too have heard a lot of strange things, but NEVER a police (or any other) union argue to get LESS training for its members...

Good to see some moron Mayor who has probably never fired a gun in his life is deciding on how much firearms training is needed by armed men. When someone does fire their weapon, first part of the lawsuit usually lists "failure to train" as part of the negligence.

I agree on the union NOT saying that, chances are one person who is stating something that is NOT the oficial line of the union.

will stop using a firing range in West Gloucester in favor of new facility at Fort Devens

Because hauling the whole force (in whatever size groups) 60+ miles each way, multiple times a year, with gasoline at $4/gal just makes good sense.

Doesn't travel time gets charged to the city -- more expensive the some cases of ammo.

Good to see some moron Mayor who has probably never fired a gun in his life

I'm quite sure the mayor here is a woman, and her mis-steps have been legendary. She is new and was a screw-up even before the "pregnacy pact" fiasco.

Wait'll there's one questionable shoot, and the city's lawyer's fees defending "lack of adequate training" will swamp the budget.

The whole situation does seem stupid. The only thing i can agree with is that if i heard full auto fire late an night while i'm trying to sleep, i might be a bit annoyed. Just have them practice during the day. No need to make them move.

Back
Top Bottom