Coast Guard, Air Force or Nav

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
My daughter is considering the military. She's very intelligent and could get a commission easily.
Since she was a kid she always said she wants to be a Marine like daddy is. She says it would be awesome to have her boot camp pictures next to mine.
I do the best I can to discourage her of that. I was an 18 year old infantry Marine at one time and I sure as hell don't want her meeting the guy I use to be!
That said, any thoughts on Coast Guard? Navy? Air Force?

Air Force. Get her into Cyber. It'll set her up for later. Impress upon her the importance to utilize every opportunity for schooling - tuition assistance, etc. When it comes the GI bill, make sure she understands that she won't regret putting that $100 a month away for the first year, and help her understand that the Post 9/11 GI bill is the one she should take.....

Will she be coming out of HS, or college? Has she taken the ASVAB?

It'll all depend upon what her goals and interests are. Also, do you think she'll be a lifer or short timer. If a lifer do what she would love to do. Short timer have her get in for the training to be something that will be effective in the civilian world. I'm partial to the Navy as my career was there, but overall there are plenty of opportunities in every branch as long as she scores well in her ASVABs and shows interest in being an officer. Though in many in stances that will require college or the academy.

USMC. It’s the only branch that doesn’t have safe spaces and stress cards yet to my knowledge.

She wants to follow in your footsteps and that’s friggen AWESOME!!!

Let her choose what’s right for her. You said she’s got a good head on her shoulders…she’ll prove you right AND she’ll be a bad ass.

Bro, the Coast Guard most definitely does not have safe spaces and stress cards. Really good food, and great back and knee pain, though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW9wRoIYZ1Y

Coasties are not a cushy service branch unless you are some sort of dockyard maintainer or paper pusher. They might not see too much enemy fire these days, but the ocean is certainly a deadly foe.

whatever branch offers her the best path in terms of developing marketable, in-demand skills for life after the military. Uses the military like a tool, a concrete mixer to be exact, to lay a nice solid foundation for later in life.

That's advice from someone who wasn't smart enough to make that decision when he was younger.

whatever branch offers her the best path in terms of developing marketable, in-demand skills for life after the military. Uses the military like a tool, a concrete mixer to be exact, to lay a nice solid foundation for later in life.

That's advice from someone who wasn't smart enough to make that decision when he was younger.
Have we met? I did the same thing

My daughter is considering the military. She's very intelligent and could get a commission easily.
Since she was a kid she always said she wants to be a Marine like daddy is. She says it would be awesome to have her boot camp pictures next to mine.
I do the best I can to discourage her of that. I was an 18 year old infantry Marine at one time and I sure as hell don't want her meeting the guy I use to be!
I'm biased towards the Marine Corps of course :) , but during my time in, we frequented a lot of Air Force bases since I was in the Air Wing. The bases in the Air Force were always top notch and they treated their folks (and us) pretty well. I think it's great that she's considering the Marine Corps like her old man. The Marine Corps is not the easiest route, but it's a still a great path (I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat). Air Force is a good option though. My conversations with my AF buddies and staying on their bases gave me a favorable impression of the AF (I'll deny it to the end though :) ).

(Since this is the longer thread of the dupe I'll repeat myself.)

Try and be a little more supportive of your children's dreams.

There's dirtbag men in every service and in every industry.

Your thinking is flawed my fellow devil dog. I could give you sexual war stories with women from the Navy and Air Force that could make a billy goat puke😂😂. Marines for the win!!👍🏻🫡

She should do what’s right for her and get out of it what she wants — whether that be marketable skills, an experience to look back on, or anything in between. Women face hurdles in all the services. And in all the services it is always improving.

You are familiar with the Marine Corps and what it is, and why people join it. If that’s what she wants, that’s the only place she’ll get it. Other branches are definitely more “family friendly” with more flexible career opportunities. Not everyone puts that first. I didn’t at 18, and I’m glad I didn’t. I know plenty of female Marines who would do it again in a second. And this is from a decade ago.

I thought you said she wanted to join the military? [smile]

How about Space Force? I bet that’s gonna be the shit as it progresses. I’d sign up for that today if they’d take my old ass.
Hey, Coast Guard is no cakewalk - I had to stay in Best Western tier hotels on a few TDY trips! Even in barracks once or twice.

Omg that’s awful. The horra! lmao

This was my hotel room key.
View attachment 674345
Yeah, experiences definitely vary by branch and by job! I really miss it sometimes, but then I watch videos like the one posted above and remember why everything hurts. (Then I still miss it, but it reinforces the decision to retire a couple years ago)

I would recommend the Navy. It has endless opportunities for high paying careers after your time is up. I served in the Army and Navy. The Navy was much better for technical training and career opportunities after service.

just curious, which branch did you enjoy more and why?

I thought you said she wanted to join the military? [smile]

How about Space Force? I bet that’s gonna be the shit as it progresses. I’d sign up for that today if they’d take my old ass.

You know, you might be able to pull it off. You're prior service, that's an obvious huge plus. You may be older, but you are still versed in military culture and have a discliplined mind. As a Space Cadet, it's not like you're going to be walking 26 miles in the snow with a loaded pack or trying to carve out a fighting position in rocky terrain. You'll be at a desk, staring at a monitor and keyboard. Like we're all doing right now.

Claim you're hispanic and threaten them with age discrimination. You can thank me later.

You know, you might be able to pull it off. You're prior service, that's an obvious huge plus. You may be older, but you are still versed in military culture and have a discliplined mind. As a Space Cadet, it's not like you're going to be walking 26 miles in the snow with a loaded pack or trying to carve out a fighting position in rocky terrain. You'll be at a desk, staring at a monitor and keyboard. Like we're all doing right now.

Claim you're hispanic and threaten them with age discrimination. You can thank me later.
Couldn’t do it. Anytime I sit at a desk I fall asleep like magic. lol I need to keep moving.

If she wants to become a Marine to follow your footsteps, I wouldn’t push back. She’s an adult and is making a life decision for herself. Offer information about the USMC and military life in general. Let her make her choice.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW9wRoIYZ1Y

Coasties are not a cushy service branch unless you are some sort of dockyard maintainer or paper pusher. They might not see too much enemy fire these days, but the ocean is certainly a deadly foe.

That was one of my boats - I was stationed at Gloucester from 93-97, and we had one of the pre-production 47' boats. A lot of our input from testing the 47205 was implemented in the production boats. The 47259 was there when I got back to Gloucester in 2000 to 2004. We beat the ever loving bag out of that boat until I retired in 2011 (I stayed in the reserves at Gloucester from 2004-2011.

But like @AntiHippie said - it beats the ever living bag out of the crew' bodies as well.....

Advice my Dad once gave me was the Navy or Air Force because you'd always have a bed and three meals.
Some people are looking to get more than that out of their military experience.

Some people want to have their physical, mental, and emotional limits tested.

We should all be supportive of their desire to do that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom