CNIC vs. the SKS

amb

NES Member
So, here's my problem: I'm kinda lazy. I don't mine corrosive ammo per se (for instance it's the only 7.62x54 I've ever shot), but cleaning it out of a gas gun is more work.

On the other hand, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and just got handed a mildly imposing quantity of questionable Norinco ammo (copper-washed steel cases, jacketed bullets with (I strongly suspect) a mild steel core, headstamp "CNIC" and "7.62 x 39", no date, all in a tin on SKS clips). There's not a lot out there I've found about CNIC )other than that it's a Norinco-owned factory and that this ammo has probably been around a while), but I'm assuming anyway that it's almost certainly corrosive.

So what do you think? Any input on CNIC-headstamped ammo or SKS cleaning is more than welcome!

Before somebody says "this thread is useless without pics" (click for the big version):

cnic.jpg

(Of course, the other thing people are going to say is "just get over it and shoot it", but hey, at least you have a picture of shiny vintage ammo to look at if you're into that sort of thing.)

Any Chinese 7.62x39 AFAIK is corrosive and since China never released any definite info on anything they sold, treat it as corrosive even if you read something saying it isn't.

Use M-Pro7 and flush your bore and gas tube, pour a little down the gas block, and wipe down the bolt face and inside of the receiver, then coat everything with Break Free CLP, wipe dry, and you should be ok.

CNIC is China North, which is a Norinco headstamp. I've shot it before and don't believe it was corrosive.

If the corrosive ammo gives you pause and you're anywhere near Western Mass, I'll trade you regular noncorrosive steel case for it. Call me twisted but I really don't mind doing a little extra cleaning after a day at the range.

There seems to be a lot of that copper washed Chinese ammo coming out of the woodwork lately. Or, at least this is the third thread I've seen on various forums!

If it's on stripper clips, then I say treat it as corrosive. And if it is in yellow or green boxes and says "non-corrosive" on it, still treat it as corrosive! Better safe than sorry.

I picked up 500 rounds of true steel core a few months ago for $100 and sold a hundred at a buck a round in Uncle Henry's. So, 400 rounds are free!

from my own experience, treat all but most recent production Russian/china/ foreign as corrosive. I shot about 200 rounds of the 7.62x39 russian "sport loads" for "hunting"
Had a picture of a man with a riffle actually said Hunting load non corrosive. My chinese sks did not look so well a few weeks later.

If you're still unsure about shooting the ammo, you can always buy one of the Chinese bullet clocks and use up 60 rounds. [grin]

100_0990.jpg

I got this clock through Sportsman's Guide (amazingly they shipped it here to Mass[shocked]). I had to have one after seeing the same clock at Zero Hour Arms one day where they had theirs lined with Chinese ammo. At the time I snapped this pic all I had on hand was some Romanian but I've since put ammo just like the stuff in your picture in the holders and it looks much better.

Back
Top Bottom