• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I just got an e mail that the CMP is selling M1 Garands with new walnut stocks, new barrels and a new web sling for $650.00. That seems cheap. Am I missing something?

I just got an e mail that the CMP is selling M1 Garands with new walnut stocks, new barrels and a new web sling for $650.00. That seems cheap. Am I missing something?
Rack grade refinished receivers and non-refinished rack grade parts.
So basically, you get a deeply pitted, but refinished receiver, pretty worn parts, but a new barrel and new stock.

A couple years ago a Field Grade Special was $850, so I imagine the rack grades must be really rough.

Rack grade refinished receivers and non-refinished rack grade parts.
So basically, you get a deeply pitted, but refinished receiver, pretty worn parts, but a new barrel and new stock.

A couple years ago a Field Grade Special was $850, so I imagine the rack grades must be really rough.
Didn't cmp get a boat load of rifles back from the Philippines last year.....that were in pretty rough shape with rust?

for $650...how could you go wrong.

the parts they put on them will be in serviceable condition, but probably at the lower end of the tolerance for specs. they're not going to sell a thousand rifles that are dangerous to shoot, i can guarantee that.

if i didn't have 5.5 garands already, I'd buy one just for S&G's!

that's gotta be the best deal running anywhere right now.

If you don’t already have a Garand you might want to consider going the extra $100 to get a Springfield/H&R Service Grade rifle. You give up the new barrel and stock, but the receiver will be in much better shape and you’ll have an “authentic” M1. I just added one of the $750 Service Grade Springfields to my collection and it measured a muzzle reading of 0+ and a throat reading of 2. It looks pretty good for a gun that was most probably used in the Korean War (the receiver was made in October, 1944 so it might not have seen combat in WW II, but likely was used in the later war). Just a couple of phone pics:

M1_2184.jpg M1_2185.jpg

If you don’t already have a Garand you might want to consider going the extra $100 to get a Springfield/H&R Service Grade rifle. You give up the new barrel and stock, but the receiver will be in much better shape and you’ll have an “authentic” M1. I just added one of the $750 Service Grade Springfields to my collection and it measured a muzzle reading of 0+ and a throat reading of 2. It looks pretty good for a gun that was most probably used in the Korean War (the receiver was made in October, 1944 so it might not have seen combat in WW II, but likely was used in the later war). Just a couple of phone pics:

View attachment 301276 View attachment 301277

Handsome rifle and well worth the paltry $100 additional...
You did well.

Has anyone bought the $650 garand yet? I'm pretty interested in getting my hands on one as my next purchase....
Are you looking more for a shooter or more for the history?
If the history, I'd suggest RM1SERVICE for $750.
My service grade is really nice, USGI stock, great patina, just feels right, and looks right. It is on the wall in my workshop. It sees the range a lot more often.
My field grade special with the new wood and barrel doesn't feel the same, but with the tight lockup and new match barrel is tighter and less "broken in." Between the refinishing and the fresh wood though, it's hard to describe, just doesn't feel as "historical."

Given the choice between my service grade and my field grade special, I would choose the service grade every since time, even with the 1949 barrel.

Are you looking more for a shooter or more for the history?
If the history, I'd suggest RM1SERVICE for $750.
My service grade is really nice, USGI stock, great patina, just feels right, and looks right. It is on the wall in my workshop. It sees the range a lot more often.
My field grade special with the new wood and barrel doesn't feel the same, but with the tight lockup and new match barrel is tighter and less "broken in." Between the refinishing and the fresh wood though, it's hard to describe, just doesn't feel as "historical."

Given the choice between my service grade and my field grade special, I would choose the service grade every since time, even with the 1949 barrel.
Not looking for a historic piece. Looking for a solid, inexpensive M1 that I can put my own patina on lol.

It's going to get stripped, and the steel is going to get cerekoted. I'm interested in shooting a CMP Match or two with it.

Not looking for a historic piece. Looking for a solid, inexpensive M1 that I can put my own patina on lol.

It's going to get stripped, and the steel is going to get cerekoted. I'm interested in shooting a CMP Match or two with it.
I'd go for the rack special then. Just be cognizant there will be pitting on the receiver. I will admit a nice shiny chamber on my CMP special is kind of neat in its own way.

You may want a 1907 sling for matches.

Last edited:
I dropped about $1050 a few years back for a CMP .308 Special Grade. No regrets - it's the best rifle purchase I ever made. It looks and feels like a brand new M1.

Thanks, I do wonder a bit about the CMP’s “luck of the draw” since I regularly contribute to them and my “luck” has always been pretty good ;).

"You can't WIN if you don't PLAY..." as the saying goes.

Wat8.jpg

Cerekoted??!!!

I'm going to agree with Pat here and say that if you're going to refinish a Garand, get it parkerized. This is a Garand we're talking about. Cerakote didn't exist back when John Cantius Garand was iceskating around in his basement in Springfield. Please, think of the gat.

3fbee7.jpg

The CMP rack grade specials referenced in this thread are already freshly re-parkerized.

This is good to know, thank you.

I promise not to bastardized the rifle....
as long as you actually shoot it go ahead!

Cant be any thing as bad as this

Oh, the humanityo_O

Back
Top Bottom