• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP WRA and IHC now available in .308

I’m wondering how bad these receivers where to refinish and build out. Surprised they did not just sell the receivers on cmp auctoin...I’m sure some will turn up though

I’m wondering how bad these receivers where to refinish and build out. Surprised they did not just sell the receivers on cmp auctoin...I’m sure some will turn up though

Mine doesn't show any sign of pitting or any other damage. It's early 1950's receiver, 4 million block AFAIR.

Mine doesn't show any sign of pitting or any other damage. It's early 1950's receiver, 4 million block AFAIR.

When did you buy? I have a CMP Special in .30-06 that I bought a few years ago. WWII SA receiver in perfect condition. I have a .308 I built myself on a CMP SA receiver, and that one was perfect too. I had a local hotshot armorer build a Krieger barreled match rifle for me on a SA Field Grade I acquired in May. That receiver has some small pits if you look closely. Probably a Turk return and most definitely should have been a Rack Grade for a laundry list of issues.

I'm willing to bet that there are a bunch of WRA and IHC receivers that are on rough condition Philippine and Turkish returns. Turning them into '.308 Specials' is probably the most lucrative way for the CMP to dispose of them. I'm not criticizing- this is how CMP funds itself and more power to them.

When did you buy?

Back in the Spring I traded one of my Colt 1911's for the .308 special grade. The previous owner had bought it new from CMP in 2014 I think? He had never fired it. It's a Springfield 4 million block, 1953 I believe. I've put a few hundred rounds through it so far. I didn't really want to part with that Colt but it was the only way I'd be able to get my hands on that Garand. ;) (baby at home now. money's tight)

Back in the Spring I traded one of my Colt 1911's for the .308 special grade. The previous owner had bought it new from CMP in 2014 I think? He had never fired it. It's a Springfield 4 million block, 1953 I believe. I've put a few hundred rounds through it so far. I didn't really want to part with that Colt but it was the only way I'd be able to get my hands on that Garand. ;) (baby at home now. money's tight)

Gotcha. I’m sure the selection of receivers was nicer back then.

Gotcha. I’m sure the selection of receivers was nicer back then.

I wasn't super picky about how the receiver looked as long as it was solid. I wanted a Garand I could shoot the hell out of and not worry about degrading a collectible, and that's what I got! Problem is the rifle is so damn pretty and minty new, that I'm very careful with it not to ding up the stock or scratch up the finish. ;)

When did you buy? I have a CMP Special in .30-06 that I bought a few years ago. WWII SA receiver in perfect condition. I have a .308 I built myself on a CMP SA receiver, and that one was perfect too. I had a local hotshot armorer build a Krieger barreled match rifle for me on a SA Field Grade I acquired in May. That receiver has some small pits if you look closely. Probably a Turk return and most definitely should have been a Rack Grade for a laundry list of issues.

I'm willing to bet that there are a bunch of WRA and IHC receivers that are on rough condition Philippine and Turkish returns. Turning them into '.308 Specials' is probably the most lucrative way for the CMP to dispose of them. I'm not criticizing- this is how CMP funds itself and more power to them.
I’m going to guess they will get less complaints and returns building out the refinished receivers but heck they could probably sell the Wins on cmp auction and get $700 plus?
I really don’t care about the heal tag and honestly rather by one of the field grade special 308s they where putting out for $850

I’m going to guess they will get less complaints and returns building out the refinished receivers but heck they could probably sell the Wins on cmp auction and get $700 plus?
I really don’t care about the heal tag and honestly rather by one of the field grade special 308s they where putting out for $850

$1250 seems like a lot for one with a pitted receiver. For that money I would expect them to be much better then average.

Totally agree with both of you. I think most folks who want a .308 Garand want it simply to shoot. It's no longer much of a collectible so who cares what is stamped on the heel.

$1250 seems like a lot for one with a pitted receiver. For that money I would expect them to be much better then average.
This for the most part is a none issue. They are refinished recievers and CMP has learned theres a lot of "it aint perfect" customers out there.
So they make it known there maybe pitting on these receivers. Sadly the price is based on the heal stamp

Now just for example cmp IHC field grades are $980
VS
The Cmp (IHC)RM1308SPCLIHC or (WIN) RM1308SPCLWRA

CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand IHC receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.
A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.

Now if you want a mint referb?Rebuilt M1 Garand As issued legal Fulton Armory M1 Competition Rifle *

I don't know why people would go crazy for these when the only part on them that's Win or IHC is the heel stamp. And a re-park'd one at that. No real collectible value left in that rifle with new wood, new barrel, new parkerizing, and a jumble of GI and commercial parts. The picture is TOTALLY misleading since it won't look anything like that.

I don't know why people would go crazy for these when the only part on them that's Win or IHC is the heel stamp. And a re-park'd one at that. No real collectible value left in that rifle with new wood, new barrel, new parkerizing, and a jumble of GI and commercial parts. The picture is TOTALLY misleading since it won't look anything like that.

There are other reasons to get (another) M1. Like a re-built historical firearms that shoots well.

I think more people buy these to shoot (with better accurwcy potential) and not worry about breaking or degrading value in a more desirable one??
You can pick up something like this as close to a new M1 as you can get....or buy 4 or more rebuilds?
Civilian Marksmanship Program - Promoting firearms safety training!

I think you guys are missing my point. I'm saying why would you pay about $400 more for the IHC or WIN stamp on the heel with the rest of the gun being the same as one of the Springfield or HRA FG 308 specials.

I think you guys are missing my point. I'm saying why would you pay about $400 more for the IHC or WIN stamp on the heel with the rest of the gun being the same as one of the Springfield or HRA FG 308 specials.
dah , WIN babyo_O CMP knows many will.

And you are missing our point. Human beings are funny. What is more important to one person may not be as important to another. If someone is willing to pay more for a Win than a Springfield or an HRA, then it is obviously more important to THEM.

Back
Top Bottom