• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP to Open Round 2 of 1911 Sales January 4

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm sure most have seen the email by now, and have read all the updates.

Has anyone contacted CMP to find out when the embargo to Mass gets lifted? I know people posted that things change in 2021. Does anyone have a timetable for that to sunset? Or are we permanently SOL because of TeH rOsTeR.

The law change in 2021, assuming it doesn't get rescinded, only allows MA FFLs to transfer off-list C&R guns to MA C&R FFLs, NOT the general public.

CMP had to bend over to get approval to sell any 1911s, so they banned all sales to C&R FFLs and require all guns to go to Dealer FFLs only. I don't see them changing that policy and suspect that their overlords (Congress?) wouldn't allow such a change.

You might check in on the CMP forum to see if any info might be there about this potential change in MA law. I haven't looked at that forum in many months.

Len, so if this is teh case.

Could an 03 FFL purchase a 1911, have it shiupped to a "real" FFL and then let the real FFL transfer it to the 03?

Complies with CMP policies and MA law. Yes?
CMP will sell to residents of states and requires the shipping to your resident state FFL dealer. State laws to be followed. Im guessing because of the "roster" cmp is not shipping to MA.

CMP will not sell or ship a 1911 to a CR holder .

now can you travel the US with your C&R license and buy a WWII era 1911 say in texas from a another CR holder or dealer following federal laws and bring it home and do a FA10 registration?

I can see going to the trouble of driving to another state to buy one with a C&R license if it's in decent shape for a reasonable price but I'm guessing it won't be.

Len, so if this is teh case.

Could an 03 FFL purchase a 1911, have it shiupped to a "real" FFL and then let the real FFL transfer it to the 03?

Complies with CMP policies and MA law. Yes?
No, that was a policy decision by CMP and discussed in their forum back when the program started.

CMP will sell to residents of states and requires the shipping to your resident state FFL dealer. State laws to be followed. Im guessing because of the "roster" cmp is not shipping to MA.

now can you travel the US with your C&R license and buy a WWII era 1911 say in texas from a another CR holder or dealer following federal laws and bring it home and do a FA10 registration?
Correction: A C&R FFL can buy a gun from anyone (not only a FFL) in any state if the gun is C&R qualified.

I was at a friend's shop here in NH when a customer came in for a transfer from the CMP. It was a Field grade 1911. It was absolutely mint. Can't imagine what the service grade would look like. He really never thought he'd get one and was pleasantly surprised when his name came up.

Not on the roster?? that's idiotic.. They are the only state to not allow delivery.

Wonder if they would ship to an 02 or 07 FFL in MA. Or no shipping to MA to anyone.

They will only ship to an 01FFL who MUST transfer the 1911 to the owner using a 4473 (in other words like a purchase) so a background check is done. Since they aren't on the roster in MA, a dealer can't transfer it to an LTC holder regardless of whether you have a C&R FFL or not.

I can see going to the trouble of driving to another state to buy one with a C&R license if it's in decent shape for a reasonable price but I'm guessing it won't be.

The Field Grade I saw last week was impressive. Looked mint.

Dude you can't do it! They will only ship to a dealer in your state who must transfer it like a purchase (4473), no C&R allowed. Otherwise half of us would have had one shipped to a dealer over the border in NH and picked it up with our C&Rs.

Wonder if they would ship to an 02 or 07 FFL in MA. Or no shipping to MA to anyone.
They will only ship to an 01FFL who MUST transfer the 1911 to the owner using a 4473 (in other words like a purchase) so a background check is done. Since they aren't on the roster in MA, a dealer can't transfer it to an LTC holder regardless of whether you have a C&R FFL or not.
No, they set a policy of no shipments to MA, period. jpm is also correct about the procedure required.

Dude you can't do it! They will only ship to a dealer in your state who must transfer it like a purchase (4473), no C&R allowed. Otherwise half of us would have had one shipped to a dealer over the border in NH and picked it up with our C&Rs.
I think hes talking about driving around to other states to find a 1911 to buy with your c&r. I keep a copy in my wallet and my truck. has come in handy for a few rifles. There have been a few really nice WWII era 1911s here on nes

I think hes talking about driving around to other states to find a 1911 to buy with your c&r. I keep a copy in my wallet and my truck. has come in handy for a few rifles. There have been a few really nice WWII era 1911s here on nes

Oh I always keep a copy in my glove box just in case. You never know when you'll run across something cool!

Also take a good picture of it and keep it in your phone.

I’ll just leave this here.

9799E2E9-667E-4DB4-B744-F743005311F4.jpeg
This should save those ‘in the know’ from having to answer variations of the same questions over and over again ad nauseam.

No means no...right there in black and white directly from the horses mouth. And trust me, as nice as they are down in Alabamy they WILL show their tempers if asked/provoked, lol.

There’s literally a hand written sign at the south store that states ‘DO NOT ask us about 1911 Sales’

All that being said, I’ve got my order form filled out and ready to go 🤣

Last edited:

I PMed you, but I just thought of this... if you have a C&R, why couldn't you (effectively) just transfer it twice?

Blow smoke up CMPs ass to get them to drop it at the remote 01 or 07 dealer, (NH, wherever). Go to the remote with your C&R, have them
log the gun out to you, done.

I didn't throw my hat in last time since I was expecting them to be ratty/rusty and in rough shape. However, I've been pleasantly surprised by the ones I've seen so far.

I think I might just toss my hat in the ring, maybe worth a shot. After all, I bought a bunch of 45 ACP and a 1911 mag or two, but I still don't own a 1911.

If I only had a "friend" out of state that would submit for me......

(Yes, yes, I know it's illegal as a Straw Purchase) One can dream can't they?

[rofl]

Good luck getting a rando 900 year old 1911 tested and approved.

No no no. I want to tell someone how assinine it is that I can't get the pistol that won two world wars and that my dad carried when he was in the Army. And this is the ONLY state. Hell, someone in CA, NY, IL, and HI, to name a few, can freaking buy one.

No no no. I want to tell someone how assinine it is that I can't get the pistol that won two world wars and that my dad carried when he was in the Army. And this is the ONLY state. Hell, someone in CA, NY, IL, and HI, to name a few, can freaking buy one.

You can buy one no problem, but you should complain to the CMP about being FGTs for not allowing them to go to anyone at all, not even dealers. Doubt it will go anywhere, though. Maybe a possibility of it going somewhere when the C&R changes go into MGL next year? (basically MGL will recognize C&R licenses, finally). At that point you would be able to bludgeon them with law, at least somewhat. (all these guns are C&R guns for f***s sake, lol! )

I PMed you, but I just thought of this... if you have a C&R, why couldn't you (effectively) just transfer it twice?

Blow smoke up CMPs ass to get them to drop it at the remote 01 or 07 dealer, (NH, wherever). Go to the remote with your C&R, have them
log the gun out to you, done.
Won't work. CMP will only sell to a person who submits all the paperwork, undergoes a NICS (done by CMP) and ships to a FFL in the same state as the applicant. Applicant goes to pick it up and undergoes a second NICS check plus any state required paperwork. This is also only if you win in their lottery to get a chance at one.

There was strong congressional opposition to CMP selling handguns, so lots of BS compromises by CMP allowed it to happen. They actually set up a special business to deal only with the 1911s.

Yea, but who manages this. The head of the EOPSS, or another department?
See my comment above.

As for MA, the legistraitors all bow down and kiss the ring of the speaker of the house and senate president. If they do anything these two guys don't like, they can face sanctions such as loss of office space/staff, being dropped from committees (results in reduction of pay), exiled to the dungeon (the dank basement). All of these things happened to legislators that I know over the years.

It's almost certainly similar at the federal level (where CMP gets it's OK to do this).

Back
Top Bottom