• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP talks pricing regarding 1911s

Almost every rifle that I have purchased from the CMP over the years (at least 25-30) has been graded on the conservative side. For example, I'm always pleased to pay for a Field Grade and receive what I consider a Service Grade example. If the grading system is as consistent as it has been historically for me, I will probably be in for a couple of Service Grade 1911's (a WWI 1911 & a WWII 1911A1) I have a WWI Colt and two WW2 Remington Rands that would love the company.

I'm also 100% certain any sewing machine or some what rare models will be cherry picked and put to private collections or onto the cmp auction
Absolutely this. My step-dad was buddies with a guy who worked at the Anniston arsenal and his collection of US military surplus rifles was stunning. They get picked over pretty hard.

$1000 for a standard issue 1911? C'mon, seriously? There's so many other guns you can own for that price. And a lot of them cheaper to feed.

$500 or less would have been something nice to see, you know maybe act like we want people buying them and getting new people into shooting. Hell, what did the gov pay for each one? Was it even $500?

I don't understand why anyone would drop $1k+ on a used, common pistol platform.

Thosw guns are gonna get that cake for the same reason that mosins arent $89 anymore and SKS cost like 300+ or whatever it is now... because theres apparently a herd of nippleheads willing to overpay for them.

-Mike

I may be out at this price as well, but I think it is pretty safe to say that the CMP will still be able to sell everything they take in - 10,000 pistols could move pretty fast.

- - - Updated - - -

It goes to support the CMP mission of encouraging marksmanship in the civilian population. CMP matches etc.

It seems it doesn't go to encouraging ownership, but it sure does get used to further gouge citizens unnecessarily FOR GUNS THEY ALREADY PAID FOR ONCE THROUGH TAXES.

Seriously. I don't understand why people would support this kind of fleecing.

Thosw guns are gonna get that cake for the same reason that mosins arent $89 anymore and SKS cost like 300+ or whatever it is now... because theres apparently a herd of nippleheads willing to overpay for them.

-Mike

I was late to the milsurp mosin/sks party by a few years. Unfortunately not much I can do about that, I've had no choice but to spend a little more...but have really been enjoying collecting anyway. So all you dudes that paid $99 for gen-u-ine roosky SKS's can all BLO me. [smile]

-Mike

does this mean skinflint is dead[smile]

It seems it doesn't go to encouraging ownership, but it sure does get used to further gouge citizens unnecessarily FOR GUNS THEY ALREADY PAID FOR ONCE THROUGH TAXES.

you just blew my damn mind...i never even thought about it that way. wow, did I get screwed (screwed myself)!

for the most part i think if not for the dcm/cmp all those surplus military arms would go to captain crunch. most of us would not own a garand at all.

figure if they have aprox 100,000 1911s left how many where scrapped? or sold to over seas mercenaries.

heres a little bit of what cmp currently has on auction http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/

Last edited:
Sounds like they've gotten greedy and forgotten what they were originally chartered to do.

This wouldn't have been a problem if they were still government subsidized.

Well they will inspect and not sell those with cracked frames. Pitted barrels are a distinct possibility however.

For that piece of history in NRA VG condition, $1K would be reasonable, but for the bottom of the barrel 1911 there is no way that it is worth that much in today's world.

I paid $563 OTD for a relatively slightly abused Colt Series 70 back a few years ago, only the 2nd gun purchased at a gun show in >30 years. The hammer was badly pitted and there were some pitting on one side of the slide plus the gun was beyond dirty. Greg Derr replaced the hammer with the age-appropriate one and fixed it up for another $125 and I have a good shooting piece. Just to put some perspective on lessor grade 1911s.

Len,

You would be surprised how many 1911s were in service with cracked frames. Ordnance had a way of determining whether or not the crack was critical to the functioning and safety of the pistol. It will be interesting to see if say a pistol with small cracks around say the magazine well might not be deemed serviceable.

CMP sells "parade rifles" that are no longer shooters, it might be interesting to see if they might do the same for a 1911. Would a non shootable Singer have value? Most likely.

Personally I'd much rather see these firearms given free to vets that were once issued them or their families, than sold.

You were the last one I would expect to see advocating a government handout.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like they've gotten greedy and forgotten what they were originally chartered to do.

This wouldn't have been a problem if they were still government subsidized.

They are still running their matches/facilitating the shooting sports. As this turnover of pistols illustrates, they ARE still government subsidized - indirectly.

Edit to add: The purpose of the CMP was not to sell cheap guns to the public. The reason they sold cheap guns to the public was to fund their actual mission. Don't get the two confused. When they were the ODCMP, they sold cheap guns as part of their marksmanship mission, but not the entirety.

You were the last one I would expect to see advocating a government handout.

It's not a handout when we've already used those items for their intended service life and are now disposing of them due to a change in technology. It makes more sense to give them to the soldiers that used them as is. It also is a lot more meaningful for those who served to have something they earned.

CMP leadership cares about one thing: protecting their bloated paychecks. Everything else is just window dressing.

You were the last one I would expect to see advocating a government handout. - - - Updated - - - They are still running their matches/facilitating the shooting sports. As this turnover of pistols illustrates, they ARE still government subsidized - indirectly. Edit to add: The purpose of the CMP was not to sell cheap guns to the public. The reason they sold cheap guns to the public was to fund their actual mission. Don't get the two confused. When they were the ODCMP, they sold cheap guns as part of their marksmanship mission, but not the entirety.

The American people have already paid for those guns. Why not give them to the people who actually used them? Veterans are taxpayers too. Those guns have been paid for in both money and blood, some of them have seen combat and some have been used by people KIA.

Combat vets should be the first and maybe only priority, and if not for free, then a small handling fee. Guns given out under those circumstances are not handouts. They have been bought and paid for many times over.

MSRP: $978.00
108482_01_md.jpg
Nice gun with 2 problems.... 1. The finish scratches if you breathe on it (at least the original ones did) and 2. The retail price is more like $825 now and I paid $1050 in 2012 when you couldn't find any .... but having said that it is a nice comfortable accurate shooter.

Wonder if cmp will follow suite and price with shipping included.
Will they follow suite with other vendors and not sell to CR holders.

They already stated they would not ship to C&R, only dealers.

- - - Updated - - -

MSRP: $978.00
108482_01_md.jpg

I could also buy a NM M1A if I wanted something that looked like a Garand but was new and more accurate.

That's not why you buy milsurps though, its for their history and provenance.

They already stated they would not ship to C&R, only dealers.

- - - Updated - - -

I could also buy a NM M1A if I wanted something that looked like a Garand but was new and more accurate.

That's not why you buy milsurps though, its for their history and provenance.

Ahh missed that....

I rather a few M1s vs some of the not so nice Springfield Inc rifles I have seen over the years. Even the NM models.

The cmp has become a huge cash cow....they spent a good penny on the shooting park and selling pistols they get for free. ( I know they pay for shipping and such but the product is free) will help pay for that and the board members.
If they are simply going to remove from crate grade them and sell them that's fine I might pay. But if they are going to assemble them like they been doing with the M1s I rather not.

I'm also 100% certain any sewing machine or some what rare models will be cherry picked and put to private collections or onto the cmp auction

They have been "assembling" M1's?! I done with the mil surp collecting thing, I have my 1917 project to honor one of my grandfathers and I have my other grandfathers bring back Arisaka.... The only thing I could ever thing of replacing is my M1 Garand.

If that's the case, I can't see wasting money on a CMP "build"

They have been "assembling" M1's?! I done with the mil surp collecting thing, I have my 1917 project to honor one of my grandfathers and I have my other grandfathers bring back Arisaka.... The only thing I could ever thing of replacing is my M1 Garand.

If that's the case, I can't see wasting money on a CMP "build"

CMP for some time has been doing what the original arsenals have been doing. Not every rifle comes right from the crate then shipped to you.
They have a shit ton of parts also.

They also have their "CMP SPECiAL " which is a cmp refinished rifle with new barrel and stock.
They have or had 10s of thousands receivers, barreled actions and so forth. All being processed as the arsenals would have done.

The least manipulated and,high valued guns have been going CMPs own auction.
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog.asp?catid=362&n=M1-Garand

Last edited:
CMP for some time has been doing what the original arsenals have been doing. Not every rifle comes right from the crate then shipped to you. They have a shit ton of parts also. They also have their "CMP SPECiAL " which is a cmp refinished rifle with new barrel and stock. They have or had 10s of thousands receivers, barreled actions and so forth. All being processed as the arsenals would have done. The least manipulated and,high valued guns have been going CMPs own auction. http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog.asp?catid=362&n=M1-Garand

This...back in the golden age of milsurps prior to 1968 thousands of guns were sold as "Arsenal refinished" many guns after WW2 were rebuilt as a matter of policy. Captured weapons were refurbished by some victorious powers and placed in strategic reserve. Others were sold as surplus and reworked by the companies that sold them.

I remember getting a reworked HR M16A1 from Viet Nam era back in 1982. Nothing new here, it's SOP. CMP could make their own M1's for years if they wanted too, given the amount of parts on hand.

I know a lot of you guys wanna hold history in your hands and fantasize that your M1 was at Normandy or Iwo Jima, but more than likely it was issued to a cook at Ft Dix, NJ. In the end it was just a tool that spent most of its life locked up in some arms room.

If I wanted an M1 I'd really prefer one made new from parts, just like I'd like one of the new Colt 1903 Pocket Autos. YMMV. I love old guns and the history of firearms, but I'd rather have one I could shoot without feeling guilty about it. Like I said, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom