CMP selling parts at auction now.

mac1911

NES Member
So it should not be a surprise. CMP has for the most part cherry picking all the good stuff over the years.
Recently I have seen more and more parts go up for sale. Also JFC how many of the "sniper" scopes do they have. I seen about 12 so far and I don't look,often. They sell for 5k plus. For a used milsurp scope.

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/index.asp

Ugh...

The star gauge barrel I get unless THEY pulled it off something, but hammers and bullet guides? C'mon... And what's up with listing a new Harris bipod? What's next for the auction, Frog Lube?

That said, any 'collector' revenue is simply a means to an end- supporting shooting programs. As hokey as the sales are getting, so long as CMP invests in the shooting programs I don't have that much of a problem with it. I think it's great that they are now bringing electronic targets to Vermont, and that had to cost some coin. Their rifles for the SAFS M16 match are no longer aging, converted M16's but are tack driving RRA match rifles. So they are indeed putting money into the program. Now if they could curb the board member salaries that are rumored to be in the stratosphere...

So glad I have already finished my .308 Garand. I suspect more and more Garand parts will start getting (even more so) stupid prices. I had a lot of trouble finding an op rod catch at a decent price & CMP was out. I could have easily spent 2X-3X on my build were it not for careful shopping. I'll be pissed if they start auctioning those, but what can you do.

Now if they could curb the board member salaries that are rumored to be in the stratosphere...
For 2015, according to Guidestar.org

Charles Maddix, Chairman Emeritis $203,111

Judith Legerski CEO $381,044

EC Stone, Vice Chair $183,043

Mark Johnson, COO $125,175​

Nice work if you can get it.

For 2015, according to Guidestar.org

Charles Maddix, Chairman Emeritis $203,111

Judith Legerski CEO $381,044

EC Stone, Vice Chair $183,043

Mark Johnson, COO $125,175​

Nice work if you can get it.

Thanks! Actually, I only question the chairman emeritus $ and perhaps the vice chair $. Your not going to get a decent CEO for much less than that, and $125K is very reasonable if not low for COO of any similar sized organization. So I retract ~50% of my whining, LOL.

The Form 990 says the Emeritis position is a 40 hour/week job.

The real question is "what kind of salaries would these people pull down if they went into the private for profit sector?".

If the president could get $400Kish on the open market, then the market says she is worth it. On the other hand, if this is her golden goose paying far above what she could get elsewhere, it's abuse. It's like asking if the chair of the Pan MA Challenge is $500K+ executive material on the open market or if he is milking a charity.

I don't see the big deal around the parts auctions, nor do I see the big deal around the salaries. I would have actually thought the COO would make more, although $125k goes a long way in Alabama. Mark does travel around to the events and mingles with the staff and competitors. I shook his hand at Butner (and have a picture to prove it :)) when I received a Silver Medal for the Garand match. The CMP isn't here to make our collections better or our Garands more correct, see their mission statement.

Yeah, honestly that's not a lot of money for Mark's job. Not sure what the duties would be- seems to be a lot of money for the typical emeritus position.

Personally, unless rare and/or collectible, the parts auctions seem silly to me. In the short term they may make a few extra bucks, but in the long term they may damage the 'brand'. Seriously, the Harris bipod on auction is ridiculous. If they need to clean up odds and ends they would be better served with a clearance page rather than turn the auction page into a joke. IMHO, of course...

What are you smoking? That job's worth about 70k max. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You holed up in a prepper castle somewhere? [wink] I'm not smoking anything but it's damn tempting to grow my own. [smile]

If his job is anywhere near the responsibilities of a true COO, he's making less than 50% of the bottom 10% of COO's. Put that in your pipe and... never mind, LOL.

what am I doing wrong...... Im making jump change. No wonder I cant afford to live anymore. WTF how much skill and work is involved in these positions and what/who do you need to do to get these jobs.

I understand the CMPs mission statement. Its just the more it cost the less people will enjoy the mission. Im being priced out of this game much more quickly than I though I would.

What sucks is the chumps out there in the private sector like me cant just have a board meeting and have a instant pay raise.... If I cant find a significant pay raise through my current employer or new job Im pretty much as well off joining the FSA. I have to figure out how to get into the cmp family and get on the board.

Last edited:
what/who do you need to do to get these jobs.
You mean "who do you need to know".
What sucks is the chumps out there in the private sector like me cant just have a board meeting and have a instant pay raise.
You could if you were at the right job level. Happens all the time. Just look at the raise the Mylan CEO had the board vote for him as a reward for the improved Epipen pricing.

You mean "who do you need to know".

You could if you were at the right job level. Happens all the time. Just look at the raise the Mylan CEO had the board vote for him as a reward for the improved Epipen pricing.

I did get a substantial offer from a headhunter But when we sat down for final words they tossed in the kicker..... Part time only...
It No longer panned out at that point as travel time and expense would eat up any gain quickly.

You holed up in a prepper castle somewhere? [wink] I'm not smoking anything but it's damn tempting to grow my own. [smile]

If his job is anywhere near the responsibilities of a true COO, he's making less than 50% of the bottom 10% of COO's. Put that in your pipe and... never mind, LOL.

Just look at how the CMP has been operating for the past few years. They can't even figure out their own rulebook....

Edit: Or, apparently, how to run a match. Word is they had to cancel a leg match at Perry after offhand today because they couldn't get their fancy new electronic targets to work. Nobody thought to have paper targets ready as a backup.

Last edited:
Just look at how the CMP has been operating for the past few years. They can't even figure out their own rulebook....

Edit: Or, apparently, how to run a match. Word is they had to cancel a leg match at Perry after offhand today because they couldn't get their fancy new electronic targets to work. Nobody thought to have paper targets ready as a backup.
no they did think of it but cut it from the budget.
The rules have been a CF for me took me a good amount of effort to find that god darn Gov. Profile barrel that would make weight. Then they scrapped it added a little weight to overall weight and changed some other stuff...
The Mondern Military Match rules are AFU? At least when I read them they are?

I still don't get the rule for no front sling hook ? does it really give me advantage...

Hear the changes in vintage sniper sucks also.

Last edited:
no they did think of it but cut it from the budget.
The rules have been a CF for me took me a good amount of effort to find that god darn Gov. Profile barrel that would make weight. Then they scrapped it added a little weight to overall weight and changed some other stuff...
The Mondern Military Match rules are AFU? At least when I read them they are?

I still don't get the rule for no front sling hook ? does it really give me advantage...

Hear the changes in vintage sniper sucks also.

The entire program is a mess. Look at their most recently available form 990 - $6,337,755 in revenue excluding grants and donations (I assume donations are mostly the rifles that we taxpayers "donate",) and $14,804,387 in total expenses ($7,115,738 of which is salaries and employee benefits.) They wouldn't even make payroll if they weren't getting free money.

I'd love to see some more recent numbers. They spent millions on Talladega in the past few years and can't get the targets to work consistently there either. (They didn't even bother to build traditional pits there. Electronic only.)

There is nobody at the CMP worth a six figure salary. Not with how they've been running it.

The entire program is a mess. Look at their most recently available form 990 - $6,337,755 in revenue excluding grants and donations (I assume donations are mostly the rifles that we taxpayers "donate",) and $14,804,387 in total expenses ($7,115,738 of which is salaries and employee benefits.) They wouldn't even make payroll if they weren't getting free money.

I'd love to see some more recent numbers. They spent millions on Talladega in the past few years and can't get the targets to work consistently there either. (They didn't even bother to build traditional pits there. Electronic only.)

There is nobody at the CMP worth a six figure salary. Not with how they've been running it

Now I won't argue with that! My position was a job like that was worth the salary. But- I do agree with you that their performance needs a 'little' ahem, improvement...

Now I won't argue with that! My position was a job like that was worth the salary. But- I do agree with you that their performance needs a 'little' ahem, improvement...

Yes, there are c-level execs who are worth what they make. Just not at the CMP.

There is nobody at the CMP worth a six figure salary. Not with how they've been running it.

Im trying to find the article I read several years ago when the New park was in planning. Cost was the topic. I don't know who made the comment in the article but it was something like this. The CMP is well funded and with a 200,000,000 kitty it should not be a problem.

Im trying to find the article I read several years ago when the New park was in planning. Cost was the topic. I don't know who made the comment in the article but it was something like this. The CMP is well funded and with a 200,000,000 kitty it should not be a problem.

That's (basically) true. They have a huge amount of money invested in publicly traded securities, some cash on hand, and some buildings and other assets. Of course in 2014 they lost almost $8.5 million on investments (granted it was a tough year,) but yes it's true that they could continue to lose millions of dollars a year for many years. That doesn't make them a well managed organization.

That's (basically) true. They have a huge amount of money invested in publicly traded securities, some cash on hand, and some buildings and other assets. Of course in 2014 they lost almost $8.5 million on investments (granted it was a tough year,) but yes it's true that they could continue to lose millions of dollars a year for many years. That doesn't make them a well managed organization.

right but I get the attitude that they think the money is always going to be there so who cares?

Back
Top Bottom