• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP road trip

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm thinking about, just thinking at this point, taking a trip to the CMP store to pick up a couple Garands, and I was wondering if I should go to their north store or their south store. Is there any difference in their selection, quantity or quality? I like the idea of picking my rifle, and not just getting some random rifle sent to me.

What does the NES collective think?

If you've actually been, please say so, I'd love to get some first hand information.

I visit family in Sandusky, OH, a few times a year, which is about 20 minutes from the North Store. It's worth visiting as it's at Camp Perry, but jpdopes is correct, the South Store has a larger selection. Different guys will post inventory reports on the CMP forums, usually weekly, so you can get an idea of what is in stock both places before you go:
North Store: CMP North Store - CMP Forums
South Store: CMP South Store - CMP Forums

South x100.

The north store rarely gets shipments, and when they do they get picked over pretty quickly by the locals.

The south store is near where the rifles are stored and processed and is constantly being restocked. Also, the Talladega Marksmanship Park (TMP) is about 20 minutes away and have their own selection of CMP Rifles for sale.

If you fly, you can have your purchases shipped home (must show ticket). If you drive you must take them with you. Also, 1903’s have been available recently. Consider picking one of those up as they aren’t likely to be available for long. 1903A3’s, 1917’s, and even a few Krags have been sold recently at the stores, but those are really hit or miss.

Make sure you have your paperwork in order before you go. Last time I went to the south store they told me an instore pickup is charged Alabama state tax, shipped items are tax free and they were nice enough to delay shipping for a week until I got home.

Make sure you have your paperwork in order before you go. Last time I went to the south store they told me an instore pickup is charged Alabama state tax, shipped items are tax free and they were nice enough to delay shipping for a week until I got home.

And it’s like a 10% state tax too.

Store inventory is constantly changing.

You should closely monitor the threads on the CMP website. You should also be aware of when they will be closed--especially around the holidays.

They have visitor reports for each of the stores updated frequently.

forums.thecmp.org/

EDIT: The racks were full at the North Store as of DEC 7th per this thread:

The south store has always had a better inventory. They store them all there and ship them to the North Store. I'm not saying they handpick for the south store, just that it's easier to keep stocked because they have them already there.

+1 on south stores Anniston and Talladega range/store less than 20 minutes away. Type in Talladega in the search function and check out the thread I started on the CMP range down there (I’ve been lucky enough to go twice so far).

Whats another 10% , heck thats like checking the hand pick option from the C&R vendors....but YOU get to do the picking. Bring more money or not.
Only know one guy to make the trip.
Lucky day for him they happen to bring out a few nice 22s , 1903s and some very nice darn near un issued HRA and IHC
Came home with a nice old mil trainer mossberg 22, 1903a3 , IHC , HRA garands and a one of the cmp special M1d they put out back then.

Unless they have changed their policy, you get to pick your rifle, you pay for it, hand it to the armorer who tags it and they will ship it to you free. You save Ala. sales tax.

Do they take credit cards?
I was thinking a couple Garands, but it would be nice to get a 1903 as well.

What's a good stopover point, I'm thinking Lexington VA, I've never been down this way so if anyone is familiar with it please speak up. I don't want to end up in the wrong neighborhood.

I can take 2 full days going down so some points of interest might be nice. Overnight in Lexington, and overnight near the CMP, fresh and rested for Saturday at the shop, hopefully range as well, then I have to be back by Sunday night and back to work Monday morning.

I have to make sure I have all the purchase requirements met. From what I'm reading, my birth certificate, NH P&R (and my Utah LTC), along with my GOAL membership , is all I need. Anyone done this that can confirm?

Unless they have changed their policy, you get to pick your rifle, you pay for it, hand it to the armorer who tags it and they will ship it to you free. You save Ala. sales tax.

not entirely true...you pick your rifle...you pay sales tax...and they ship it home for you if you can present them with a plane itinerary showing that you flew down. i drove down one of the times and they made me take the rifle with me.

i can't comment on the 'stopping point', but get as far as you can the first day and plan to be up as early as possible and IN Anniston 1/2hr before the store opens if you want first dibs (there are 'regulars' there daily to get their jollies, but most times don't even buy rifles). DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE 1HR TIME DIFFERENCE!!! I'VE MADE THE MISTAKE TWICE!!!

get to the store...take your time looking through the racks...take advice from the guys that are giving it (they'll find 'their' rifles and direct you to the next best ones). you can disassemble rifles in front of the armorers and check all the components...DO YOUR HOMEWORK AHEAD OF TIME and know what you're looking for! You'll see the 'regulars' carrying little blue books with serial number range 'cheat sheets'...ask to look at one if an opportunity provides itself and you find yourself 'talking shop' with any of them.

once you get your rifle(s)...get your ass over to the marksmanship park. you should get a few free hours to the park with the purchase of a rifle (my first time buying i got a full day, but second rifle a year later and they only gave me two hours). DON'T shoot your ungreased rifle! Bring something down to shoot (unless you buy a 1903...then i guess that's ok).

They make you watch a video your first time down (10 minutes) and zero your rifle at the 100yd range before taking it out to 200, then 300, then 600 if you wish. If you don't spend at least 4 hours at the range, you're going to wish you did. I spent two days there from open to close and both times was wishing i had more time to shoot...so far i've taken 6 rifles all the way out to the 600 yard range until i was hitting mostly black. My rifle safe now has its own '600yd club' and the rest of the rifles are waiting their turn.

Don't spend all your money at one place...the range store is now STOCKED! The first time i went there, the range didn't have dick for rifles...maybe 20 or so. The last time i went, there must have been 80! I bought one (a six digit field grade) on the day before they closed up for the Christmas holiday...they offered to ship it since i was flying (out of Atlanta), but I definitely still paid sales tax.

The only reason I typed all this is because I know you're actually reading it. If you want to have a conversation about it, PM me for my cell phone number and i'll tell you everything I know (which isn't much, mind you).

-Mike

Last edited:
road-trip-sign.jpg

42! drive safe and enjoy the warmer weather as you get closer!
Going to CMP in Alabama is on my list of things to do.
Along with riding a motorcycle through the Florida keys.
I would love a ride over seven mile bridge!

I hope you find a nice Garand! Ping!!

just FYI

South Store Report 12/19/2019 - CMP Forums

The store will be closed from 12/22-1/8. It will reopen on 1/9....

Yahtch--one day to loiter on target. No worries, though--I only spent 2 or 3 hours in the North Store on my way out west, and I found a diamond in the rough, a correct postwar Garand in shitty Greek wood. Trust your luck, a couple hours in the racks and you'll find a beautiful Garand, even if it is not (yet) exactly the Garand you're looking for.

If nothing gets your pulse pounding, go get some lunch for an hour, and come back and have a look again. Don't be in too much of a hurry, unless you happen upon a total no-brainer "10" and it's love at first sight. Remember the story about the old bull and the young bull.

Service grade is probably your best value for the money overall--you have the best chance of original parts and the lowest overall wear.

Be friendly. Let the guys at the counter know that you've driven in from Boston/NH/wherever and that you're excited to be there, and tell them what exactly what you're looking for. He might just have seen something out back that fits your bill. You DO know what you're looking for, don't you? You've given it some thought? Do you want a WWII Garand? Do you want it to be a WWII serial number, but maybe rebarreled postwar (1950-1969-ish), so it will be a good shooter--or do you not care about muzzle wear, and instead want it to be "correct?", with all original parts, or as close as possible? Apparently the Philippine returns had lots of original WWII parts. How about patina? Do you want a battle-field pickup-looking rifle from the Korean War? Do you want a postwar rifle in mint condition, with very low muzzle wear to make into a match rifle?

OK, now--how about manufacturer? Springfield is a classic, but H&R was made in Worcester in the post-war period (think quality control/no wartime production pressures), and they're considered to be fine rifles made on good tooling. Some H&R rifles came with LMR barrels, and LMR barrels are generally real good shooters. Also, International Harvester didn't make a lot of rifles, so collectors love them. International Harvesters all came with LMR barrels. Mostly they got sent overseas, to fulfill contracts with our Cold War allies--I think I read somewhere that the Shah of Iran got a lot of the International Harvesters. I see they also have rebarrelled Winchesters in stock. Those would be interesting to look at.

Most people looking for a shooting Garand pay WAY too much attention to cosmetics like wood. Wood can be swapped out in ten minutes six months after your original purchase with EXACTLY what you want. Garand wood is like tits. Find a rifle that'll shoot, and then buy it some nice tits if you absolutely need to. For a shooting Garand, the barrel is the heart of the rifle. Walk the racks looking at the crowns. If the crown is good, check the year of manufacture of the barrel--lock back the operating rod; year of manufacture is located at the end of the string of numbers with a month and two-digit year. Bring a pair of cheater glasses and a flashlight if necessary. If the barrel is original to the rifle AND it has a low muzzle wear reading, you're probably looking at a low-mileage Garand. Second thing to look at is the gas cylinder. Does the approximate finish wear on the gas cylinder (and the gas cylinder lock screw and gas cylinder poppet valve), coincide with the approximate finish wear on the rest of the Garand? If so, that rifle might just have all correct parts. If the barrel is new and the gas cylinder is ghosted grey, that gas cylinder has some miles on it, and why is it on that rifle? Lastly--is the bolt original/correct? If all three of those coincide/agree, the rifle hasn't been parted out too far. Does the overall condition of the op rod match the rest of the rifle? Older? Newer? If the op rod is newly parked and tighter than shit in the receiver op rod channel, It has probably been rebuilt, and that just saved you $75. Steel wool it down so it matches the rest of the parts, or trade it off for an op rod that matches perfectly.

If you want a shooter--maybe have a look at the "Rack Grade Specials". They are cosmetically challenged receivers with a new Criterion barrel and mixmaster rack-grade parts for $650. That's actually a pretty good deal. The Criterion barrels shoot good. Check the op rod channel on the receiver for signs of excessive wear--if the op rod channel looks pretty good and the op rod doesn't have a lot of slop in it you might have a real good shooter in your hands.

When you first step through the door you'll probably be overwhelmed. So many choices, so many subtle variations. Get a good night's sleep the night before, so your mind is clear. Eat a good breakfast. Step through the door and know what you want, know exactly why you want it, and don't get distracted. Lastly--don't be frantic, trust your luck, and know that whatever you come home with, somebody would HAPPILY give you your money back for it. You could buy two extra rifles, swap parts and wood around, and sell the extra rifles for what you paid for them to friends and guys at your gun club at cost, and they'd be happy to have them for the price. You pretty much cannot lose.

All the best.

Last edited:
If you have the funds look at getting two. You'll probably never be back and I wouldn't be surprised someday ther is no more Store. Springfield WW2 and H&R Korean. One shooter with nice barrel (Criterion barreled rack grade sounds like a deal).

Good luck!

Complete store report and range report with pics ........for those of us who cant make that trip.

Well the store is 5 min from the hotel and I'll be headed over as soon as I finish breakfast.
To the comments
My plan was 2 or 3, like the poster said, I'm not likely to do this again.
Definitely shooters, I'm not into safe queens
One of my wants is a good condition IH, I had one in the 90s and we'll it's gone, want to replace that.
After that it will depend on what's there.

Well I’m a little over budget but it was totally worth it
Waiting on paperwork and then over to the range
Problem is which to shoot?

I may sell the garland I have at home, I like this one more

Back
Top Bottom