• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP rifle info

imgone

NES Member
This was posted on the CMP forums by another member. Just thought I would share the info.

I'm attending the Advanced Maintenance Class at the CMP Custom Shop. Part of the agenda included a tour of the warehouse and where the armorers do their work. No pictures were allowed for security reasons. What an amazing tour. The Philippine rifles are all in the warehouse but the crates have not been opened. The shipping containers went from floor to ceiling and took up a large part of the warehouse.

The armorers are working full tilt on the Turkish returns that are now being shipped. Most of the ones I looked at, even the service grades, have a lot more finish wear than what we are used to on earlier releases. Also, most of the rifles were stocked with a very strange looking wood. I'm not sure what it was. Maybe some type of beech? They were a very unattractive yellowish color wood similar to what you'd see on an SKS or Mosin Nagant. Most of those stocks are not being used. They were being thrown into a big box. The other thing I saw was that some rack Grades were being stocked with a new wood with very little figure to it. I'm probably not getting this right but I think they said it was hackberry??

The sheer number of rifles and parts on site is truly amazing. I saw large boxes of M1D leather check pads, m84 scopes, flash hiders, etc. It looks like the Turks had quite a few M1Ds many were in beautiful condition.

I also saw quite a few M1 carbines including a large box of M1A1's. The CMP also has vast quantities of parts of every description including boxes and boxes bare receivers. One receiver that came off a Turkish return was a four digit serial number that was 1XXX (i can't remember the exact digits). Pretty amazing.

Some day the CMP will run out of rifles but that day is years away. At the current rate of sale (about 15,000 per year per Mr. Johnson) they probably have at least six years of stock.

If you ever get the chance to attend the class down here I highly recommend it. The guys at the Custom Shop are really great. Its been excellent so far.

All I saw was "quite a few M1 Carbines"...
Watch the cmp auctions for the Carbines and cool stuff.
The wood is probably beech and will show up maybe on dupage ? I know there was issues with the ugly beech stocks years ago and people complained.

I was hoping to keep more of my money I make with the new tax plan but its hardly enough to afford another rifle

M1 Carbine is pretty far down my mental "list" but it's on there. I kind of prioritize based on perceived scarcity. For example, I haven't gotten a 1911 yet in large part because I have a feeling that they'll always be around, so I look for things that might increase more in price and become less available.

Not sure why the would have M1A1 battle tanks or how they got them into a box, but if they did I'm certain its a large box!

I'm guessing he meant the paratrooper version of the carbine then. Those will definitely go to the auction.

Maybe some M14 parts kits again?
I personally would not mind a few rack grade serviceable receivers on the cheap.. like the C grade ones they had but don’t refinish them this time

Nice report regarding the warehouse! I had a conversation with Mark a couple years ago and if the Turk and Philippine rifles had not come back, they would have been running out of M1's sometime this year.

Never been a carbine fan but maybe my wife would like one. Garand would be too big for her to handle and I don't think she would enjoy it like she enjoys her AR-15 carbine.

Think this is where the IHC service grades they have listed came from? Wonder if it's worth it to pick the limit of 1 up for $1060

Think this is where the IHC service grades they have listed came from? Wonder if it's worth it to pick the limit of 1 up for $1060
Its only worth it if you must have a IHC heal tag. Your not going to find a better deal on IHC tagged receiver.

Back
Top Bottom