• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Questions

I would like to get involved in CMP shoots. Is there a site which has a complete scedule for NE area CMP shoots? I was on the CMP site and did not see any specific scedules.

I shoot a an AR-15/M4 16 in barrel, flat top, back up iron sights. I use an aimpoint red dot, or a variable power trijicon scope. It is a preban lower with a colapsable stock.
can i compete?

My ultimate goal would be to get an M1Garand and compete with that.
Thanks

Where are you located?

Many clubs have them, some will be listed in the Calendar section of GOAL's The Outdoor Message, but I've never seen a comprehensive online list.

Braintree R&P holds them on the 3rd Saturday each month from March thru November. www.brp.org

I would like to get involved in CMP shoots. Is there a site which has a complete scedule for NE area CMP shoots? I was on the CMP site and did not see any specific scedules.

My suggestion to you is to find a CMP clinic to attend so that you can learn the ropes and see what equipment you'll need. According to the CMP's online schedule "thing" there's one at Cape Ann this Sunday: http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchInfo.cgi?matchID=6824

I shoot a an AR-15/M4 16 in barrel, flat top, back up iron sights. I use an aimpoint red dot, or a variable power trijicon scope. It is a preban lower with a colapsable stock.
can i compete?

Not with that configuration. To be considered a "service rifle" it has to look (externally) like a standard issue M16A1 or A2. No optics, no adjustable stocks, no railed forearms, etc. Most clinics will provide you with a rifle to use. (Not sure about Cape Ann - call first.)

My ultimate goal would be to get an M1Garand and compete with that.

Good luck with that. A good match grade Garand will run many thousands of dollars and still not be as competitive as a $1200 dollar AR. Add in the cost of ammo, maintenance, etc and you'll be spending a fortune to not win. There are a few guys who still shoot Garands or 14's but it's pretty rare to see them. As far as I know all of the top service rifle competitors shoot ARs (and have for a long time.)

Great info. thanks,
easy enough.
I will convert my lower back to its origional H bar config then.
i am at Harvard GC . Will check with them as to CMP shoots..

if ya wanna give it a try, most of us run 2+ guns (at least 1 backup). you bring ammo, ill let ya borrow a rifle (black hills 77s will clean the whole course if you do your part).

all ya gotta do it show up.

the few monthly clinic type CMP shoots in my area will let you use what ever military style rifle you own. It will at least get you into the format of how things are run.
ex Hanson rod and gun club in hanson mass has 2 cmp clinic style shoots every month 1st sat 9am(45 min early to set up) 3rd sundays 1pm get there a bit early also
These are verry in formal and ment for the new comers but a good place to practice or try out the format.
as for competition you will have to read the rules on equipment. I can tell you from useing my 16" flat top with back up irons....theres alot of kentucky windage going on for both windage and elevation. you can also go to ther cmp forums for more details.

It's not a CMP shoot per se, but southborough Rod & Gun Club www.srgclub.com has both Garand and Military rifle shoots that are open to non-members, and Garands are avaialble for use.

CHeck out the Club's website, and go to "events" - sorry I don't have more detaield info, but I'm a Trapezoid, not a rifle shooter.

good shooting.

bpm990d good question, just lets say I bought my flat top upper with out doing any research on the sights that came with it. There is no elevation adjustment other than the front sight. The rear sight peep is huge and only has the one peep. I set this particular upper to hit point of aim point of impact @ 50 yards. My other upper has the A2 style detachable sight and works 100% better. things to think about. I got a great deal on another flat top as the seller purchased it before he knew the rules for service rifle.

Good luck with that. A good match grade Garand will run many thousands of dollars and still not be as competitive as a $1200 dollar AR. Add in the cost of ammo, maintenance, etc and you'll be spending a fortune to not win. There are a few guys who still shoot Garands or 14's but it's pretty rare to see them. As far as I know all of the top service rifle competitors shoot ARs (and have for a long time.)

Cause remember - the most important thing is WINNING. That silly nonsense about owning a piece of history and appreciating old-world manufacturing genius is just alot of hooha....[rolleyes]

Get a CMP Garand while you can, and worry about the M-16 later. It will be around when you're ready.

By the way, Nashua Fish and Game is a great place to shoot. It's a little late in the season, but they do have a CMP match coming up on October 9th. They welcome anyone, and will help you out and make you feel at home no matter what gun you bring.

http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/nfga_2011_schedule.pdf

Good Luck!

its not so much about winning as having the ability to be competitive. a rack grade (even service or special grade) garand will very likely not reliably hit paper @ full distance. its 3x the money to feed (ammo), and kicks the crap out of you in rapid fire (especially sitting). if someone new wants to try out CMP/NRA highpower, starting them on the most physically abusive service rifle probably isnt going to get them thrilled about the sport.

you want to shoot a garand across the course....more power to ya. my buddy is building a navy (.308) garand for XTC, but he wants it just to do it, not because its a superior rifle.

bottom line: if you wanna shoot....just show up. bring some money for the match fee, and ~100rounds of black hills 77s. you'll be well equipped to shoot the match, and if you do your part, shoot very well. if you wanna shoot a CMP garand, well, you'll hit the paper most likely...but repeatable accuracy? not sure.

Cause remember - the most important thing is WINNING. That silly nonsense about owning a piece of history and appreciating old-world manufacturing genius is just alot of hooha....[rolleyes]

Get a CMP Garand while you can, and worry about the M-16 later. It will be around when you're ready.

By the way, Nashua Fish and Game is a great place to shoot. It's a little late in the season, but they do have a CMP match coming up on October 9th. They welcome anyone, and will help you out and make you feel at home no matter what gun you bring.

http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/nfga_2011_schedule.pdf

Good Luck!

I love my Garand ('42 Springfield) and absolutely do appreciate the history, but CMP service rifle is dominated by ARs for a multitude of reasons. Different tools for different jobs.

I love my Garand ('42 Springfield) and absolutely do appreciate the history, but CMP service rifle is dominated by ARs for a multitude of reasons. Different tools for different jobs.

I understand what you're saying, but I still switch off between my AR-15 and M1A each year shooting highpower, even though I KNOW my scores will drop on the M1A years. I'd rather be proficient with both rifles than slightly better with just one. In between, I shoot as many CMP or military matches as I can with either my Garand, or other milsurp rifles. To me, it's not the score that counts, but the process....

I also shoot a 30-year-old Smith Model 41 in my club's Bullseye matches, surrounded by Pardini's. As usual, it's the nut behind the bolt that counts - not the gun. That old-timer got me to the State Championships four years in a row.

Anyway, this is just a typical "which one do I get" thread, where the answer is invariably "BOTH".

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_3&products_id=18 this is the rear sight I have on my current flat top. Not a fan of the detachable handle.
I dont know if it could be used in service rifle comp or not. My next build will be a standard A2 upper. in case I ever want to try service rifle matches

As far as I know the carry handle type is the only detachable rear sight allowed.

If you're thinking about building an upper, you might want to consider just buying one from John Hollinger. He's an active (winning) HP shooter and he really knows how to set up an upper. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17520&cat=259&page=1

What is a good spotting scope power for the " NRA Approved 80 Round Match 9:00 am Start Time"
All I have is a 36 power and have access to a 64 power. will the 64 work?

Thanks, Mike

i used a 25x all the way back

much past 200 yards, you've got basically no chance of seeing .22 holes, so why struggle with miniscule eye relief when that 3" spotter is easy to pick out.

if ya got a scope, bring it. if it wont work, borrow one on the line (there'll be 20+ scopes I'd bet)

I'm looking forward to sunday. I even get to sleep in a bit!

Back
Top Bottom