• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Question

I've got a quick question about buying from the CMP. I'm sending in my form this week for my first Garand and my question is about shipping. I'm not an FFL and I don't have a C&R so can they actually ship to me or is it like ordering anything else: shipped to my FFL? Kind of a dumb question, but I couldn't find an answer.

I've got a quick question about buying from the CMP. I'm sending in my form this week for my first Garand and my question is about shipping. I'm not an FFL and I don't have a C&R so can they actually ship to me or is it like ordering anything else: shipped to my FFL? Kind of a dumb question, but I couldn't find an answer.

Nope, right to your door. n Remember, if you are in MA to "report it". Just leave the seller blank.

Remember they will ship FedEx and it will need an adult signature. CMP will send a tracking number when it ships, and its usually overnight or 2nd day. You can also follow your order online on the CMP website.

Remember they will ship FedEx and it will need an adult signature. CMP will send a tracking number when it ships, and its usually overnight or 2nd day. You can also follow your order online on the CMP website.

This.

if you can't be home to sign for the package, you can request that they be held at the depot and you can pick them up. This is what I did. I believe you can also have them hold the package and deliver it on a certain day.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking about going with a service grade instead of the special grade to save a few bucks. Everything I've read says they're good to go.

Any chance you can have it shipped to your work, I'm lucky enough to have this option and it helps greatly. For me getting to the fedex hub from my work or house is a PITA

Any chance you can have it shipped to your work, I'm lucky enough to have this option and it helps greatly. For me getting to the fedex hub from my work or house is a PITA

My recollection is that they have to ship to the address in the form you originally submitted.

Nope no option there. If I'm not here I'll just see if my wife can arrange to work from home that day. It shouldn't be much of a problem. It's great that they can ship right your house.

This.

if you can't be home to sign for the package, you can request that they be held at the depot and you can pick them up. This is what I did. I believe you can also have them hold the package and deliver it on a certain day.

This is what I did. I requested it be delivered to my closest FedEx store.

Holding and changing the delivery day now costs $5; FYI. I guess this is no longer a courtesy - I had to change my shipment date for the case of HXP I recently ordered.

T

Holding and changing the delivery day now costs $5; FYI. I guess this is no longer a courtesy - I had to change my shipment date for the case of HXP I recently ordered.

T

Interesting. This must be a very recent change in their policy as I made them hold mine at the FedEx store back in September with no additional fees.

Remember, those are two different divisions of fedex. The HXP ammo comes via fedex home and the rifle via fedex air so the $5 hold/change thing may just apply to the consumer focused home service.

I have done both the home and also held at fed ex depot. I often wondered about my wife with no LTC/FID signing for and taking possession of a gun. I assume that's not cool with Martha but never gave it a lot of thought.

Remember, those are two different divisions of fedex. The HXP ammo comes via fedex home and the rifle via fedex air so the $5 hold/change thing may just apply to the consumer focused home service.

I held both my ammo and rifle at the FedEx in Peabody with no additonal fees. Must be new I guess.

The box isn't marked that it's a firearm so unless the FedEx driver is familiar with the return address they don't know either. Anyone can sign for it as long as it's an adult.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking about going with a service grade instead of the special grade to save a few bucks. Everything I've read says they're good to go.

I have two service grades, both can get around 1 MOA, maybe a bit more.

To me, the history in the old barrels is better than anew criterion barrel that's really only necessary if you're planning on competing with the rifle.

I have two service grades, both can get around 1 MOA, maybe a bit more.

To me, the history in the old barrels is better than anew criterion barrel that's really only necessary if you're planning on competing with the rifle.

There is no guaranty a new barrel will shoot any better than a SG. It should ?
Officerobie59 if your getting any less than 2moa and closer to 1moa with your service grades you are doing exceptionally well especially if shooting HXP.

Don't fret about accuracy it's a fine firearm and fun to shoot. CMP shoot @ my club has been busy as of late with a good amount of young teenagers. Last out a young lady did very well with a club gun.
Full of smiles with every thump.

Even field grades tend to be ok shooters. Remember the Garand had no set in stone accuracy standard when new. A M1 that went through arsenal overhaul was good to go if it could hold 5 shot group1.77" aiming at a dot in the middle of a 5"tx3"w( roughly) placed a 1000" inches.
So far I only have had one SG m1 not shoot well. I needed to recrown it.

OP good thing about any cmp M1 is there is plenty of support. They will help with any problem.
Also if you find the m1 is not really your thing you can unload it quickly and most likely make a buck or two.

There is no guaranty a new barrel will shoot any better than a SG. It should ?
Officerobie59 if your getting any less than 2moa and closer to 1moa with your service grades you are doing exceptionally well especially if shooting HXP.

Don't fret about accuracy it's a fine firearm and fun to shoot. CMP shoot @ my club has been busy as of late with a good amount of young teenagers. Last out a young lady did very well with a club gun.
Full of smiles with every thump.

Even field grades tend to be ok shooters. Remember the Garand had no set in stone accuracy standard when new. A M1 that went through arsenal overhaul was good to go if it could hold 5 shot group1.77" aiming at a dot in the middle of a 5"tx3"w( roughly) placed a 1000" inches.
So far I only have had one SG m1 not shoot well. I needed to recrown it.

OP good thing about any cmp M1 is there is plenty of support. They will help with any problem.
Also if you find the m1 is not really your thing you can unload it quickly and most likely make a buck or two.

Yeah, granted, from 50 yards with proper support and taking my time, my two SG's have gotten between 1 and 2 MOA. Both my SG's have had really good numbers. I think my HRA was ME 0+/TE 1, and my WRA is ME 1/TE 1. Even my SA FG is TE 1+/ME 2.

Maybe I got lucky, but my HRA shoots the best of all. It likely has the original barrel, and the bore is gorgeous.

I have 4 M1s. I've only shot one of them, the second I cleaned, the last 2 are still covered in cosmo. And I've got a order in for another one!

Garanditis at its finest. Not to mention I really don't have time to shoot them all, or space to display/keep them. So I'd rather they stay covered in cosmo so I don't have to worry about them rusting.

WRT to shipping. Make sure you always want to ship to your work address..

6. Repeat Customers: If you have completed CMP
Purchaser Certificate on and Agreement to buy a
rifle from the CMP, signed before a Notary Public,
you may for a period of three (3) years thereafter
submit an application on to purchase additional rifles,
parts or ammunition on without having the Purchaser
Certificate on and Agreement notarized – provided that
the “sold to” and ‘ship to’ addresses remain exactly
the same.
All orders - TO INCLUDE REPEAT ORDERS – must
include SIGNED pages 1a, 2a (with or without notary)
and 3a. The checklist on page 4a is provided for
customer convenience. Rifles may only be purchased
by mail or in person. We cannot accept faxed, emailed
or phone orders for rifles or receivers.
After three years, or at anytime an address changes
from the last notarized order, a new Purchaser
Certificate on and Agreement must be notarized.
Please note that once an order is submitted, we will
only ship rifles to the ‘ship to’ address on the order
form. Customers may not change the ‘ship to’ address
without submitƫing a new notarized order form.

Yeah, granted, from 50 yards with proper support and taking my time, my two SG's have gotten between 1 and 2 MOA. Both my SG's have had really good numbers. I think my HRA was ME 0+/TE 1, and my WRA is ME 1/TE 1. Even my SA FG is TE 1+/ME 2.

Maybe I got lucky, but my HRA shoots the best of all. It likely has the original barrel, and the bore is gorgeous.
my 1st HRA out shoots my SA's also. My 2nd HRA with the "lmr" barrel was the 1st camp garand that I was unhappy with the accuracy. Took a recrown and some gi stock swapping for tightest fit.

Ok, so I've got my paperwork together to send in. Should I make any special requests? Of course I'm thinking 1940's s/n, but I also read somewhere that I should request a walnut stock. Worth the trouble or just let it ride? Any thoughts on this?

Just note it......you get what you get.
I requested a 1942 SA as that was the year my great uncle and grandfather went over.
I got it. By chance or stickie? cant get whay you dont ask for.

Last edited:
Just ask. My last one I wanted to make sure I got a Springfield. I didn't put it on the order form, but once I got the confirmation email I emailed them back and they said they'd see what they could do. Sure enough, a Springfield arrived via FedEx.

Just note it......you get what you get.
I requested a 1942 SA as that was the year my great uncle and grandfather went over.
I got it. By chance or stickie? cant get whay you dont ask for.

When I submitted my order for a field grade Springfield, I "stickie" requested a WWII era serial, GI wood, and a milled trigger guard. The folks at the CMP sent me a rifle that was 3 for 3. Notably, they took the info from the stickie note and added it into the order notes, which I was able to view on the estore.

Back
Top Bottom