1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

  2. Dismiss Notice

CMP Process

Discussion in 'Mil Surp Collectors' started by Nickle, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nickle


    May 5, 2005
    Likes Received:
    Vermont, a Free State
    Mods, please Sticky this.



    By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also U.S. citizens, over 18 years of age and who are legally eligible to purchase a firearm.

    U.S. Citizenship:
    You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

    You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.

    Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization
    You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

    Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing [email protected]. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

    Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.

    Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.

    Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity
    You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

    Current or past military service.
    Current or past law enforcement service
    Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    Concealed Carry License.
    Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.

    FFL or C&R license.
    Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
    No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
    NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

    Be Legally Eligible to Purchase a Firearm
    The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.

  2. Len-2A Training

    Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

    Feb 26, 2005
    Likes Received:
    Escaping to NH
    Locked and stickied. Please carry on any discussions in a different thread, so this will be pristine info for interested parties without plowing thru lots of back and forth discussion. Thanks.
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page