CMP matches in MA that have club owned M1A/M14s

Dear All,
I have been getting into the CMP matches lately. I usually go to Braintree as it is the closest to me. They have Ar15 and M1 garands for the competition. I recently went to Holbrook's CMP match, and they had one M1 carbine that I was lucky enough to compete with. I like that the CMP matches are open to the public, you don't have to be a member of the club to take part, and you don't need to own a rifle to participate. Its a nice way to try out other clubs without joining. (I do belong to the Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club)
So my question to you all is this: is there a club that holds CMP matches that has club M1A/M14 for use? I would like to try one out and I like the idea of getting coached while I learn these "new to me" rifles.
I tried the club AR15's, as I do not own one of those either. I did just buy a special grade M1 garand from CMP and it is pretty sweet.
Some of these other clubs that have CMP matches have +100 yard ranges. Do they hold the competition at these longer ranges too?
Thanks for any and all imput

im not aware of any clubs with M14's anymore (Last i'd heard of them, the Army/DCM took back the "issued" guns). something about the fact that even though they were welded over (IE, REAL!) m14's, they were still, indeed, machine-guns lol

as for M1A's, no one uses them. they're 3x the price of an AR, 2x the price for ammo, and barely shoot 1/2 as good lol. if you wanted to try out an M1A, I'm sure that could be arranged, but its not really "wise" to shoot one competitively (especially if you want to be successful)

for CMP matches, WSA in bedford ma hosts some 200yd reduced course matches, and Reading has CMP EIC (leg) matches a few times a year. we're ALWAYS looking for new shooters (and if you wanted to shoot a LEG, I bet you'd find someone at the match very willing to set you up with a gun/zeroes to shoot the match).

only caveat is that the DCM no longer exists, so "issued ammo" is a thing of the past. (except for the occasional JCG Garand match)

only caveat is that the DCM no longer exists, so "issued ammo" is a thing of the past. (except for the occasional JCG Garand match)

CMP has even stopped the ammo for JCG matches, I got notification this week that we are not able to get ammo at discounted prices anymore. We can issue but we have to purchase at regular price, and for us that kills the ammo supply.

Dave Capitol City in Maine

Hanson rod and gun has their cmp "shoots/clinic" tomorrow sat 8am.
They have garands and carbines and ammo for both.
Hanson at one time had ARs and M14s at one time but where also returned for what ever reason.
I will be there tomorrow. Getting my last practice in before reading on the 19th.
I don't have a M1A for you to try. I do have a 1903A3 that you could use. I only have used the used the 1903 once since I put a correct stock on it. I also have a rock river arms standard a2 rifle that's my loaner to anyone wanting to shoot cmp...mind you Hanson cmp is not very indepth clinic but more of a informal 60 round event. Basic safety, function and shooting posistions. You also don't need to shoot the posistions. You can shoot from a bench, all prone or what have you. There's plenty of people willing to help out. It can busy ..........

old colony in pembroke has cmp garand matches on june 24th and oct 7. a springfield match on may 20th ,srevice rifle on july 22nd and vintage rifle on sept.9th The club has 4 m1s available . all matches at 200 yards. contact info on old colony sportsmans club website.

Thanks for the help guys. I have been going to Braintree and like it because they have m1 garands, ar15s, and ammo for both. Just show up and pay up. I do like the sound of a longer range than 100yds, and check out what other ranges are like.
I'm just getting into the sport and wanted to try something different without bothering others at the range.
Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
For me other than the Cal difference shooting a m14 with out the happy switch..........well just shoot a garand.....its Hanson is 35 bucks 60 rounds, targets, gun m1 garands and m1 carbines.

Come to maine and you can use mine. I don't anymore.

The Govt. took back all the M14's on loan to clubs for parts to maintain the ones still/back in service.

Thanks Pat!
Are the current service M14 still fully auto? Just curious. The Navy still uses them in "sniper" scenarios and figured the fully auto would not be a benefit in that situation.

CMP match tomorrow at WSA. Squadding starts 0930 ish. 80 rounds. Club M1's and AR's avail with a little advance notice.

Pm me if you'd like more info!

55_grain

Thanks Pat!
Are the current service M14 still fully auto? Just curious. The Navy still uses them in "sniper" scenarios and figured the fully auto would not be a benefit in that situation.

Some still have the giggle switch, but the ones I know of are on ships. I think the Army Squad DM rifles have been locked out.

Some still have the giggle switch, but the ones I know of are on ships. I think the Army Squad DM rifles have been locked out.

I've heard the same, and the wire-stock'd M14 my buddy was carrying in afganistan was most certainly semi-only / welded over. unfortunately, in the eyes of the ATF, once a machine-gun, always a machine-gun.

Back
Top Bottom