CMP M1 Garand ?

NFD9

NES Member
I recently bought a "service grade" M1 Garand from CMP.
Not knowing a thing about CMP or these rifles I decided to strip it, clean it and assemble it.
Not knowing what I'm looking for, can someone tell me if these are shipped in shooting quality?
This is a quote from there web page but, I don't feel like risking my life on an unknown.
Each M1 Garand rifle sold by CMP is an authentic U.S. Government rifle that has been inspected, headspaced, repaired if necessary and test fired for function.
What do you think?
TIA
Gary

All the complete rifles the CMP sells are headspaced, even the rack grades. Unless noted otherwise in the description, they're usually ready to go mechanically. Now, a lot of the lower grades will require heavy cosmo removal, so don't just take it out of the box, load it, and start shooting.

Thanks for the info.
I have another question on CMP.
Is the Greek ammo their selling any good?
Thanks again for the replies. [grin]

Thanks for the info.
I have another question on CMP.
Is the Greek ammo their selling any good?
Thanks again for the replies. [grin]

yes it is

When I got my Garand it was ready to shoot right out of the package.. I could not have been happier. Best $400 bucks I have ever spent on a rifle.

(sorry about the duplicate post)

100% happy with my Service Grade SA Garand as well as the CMP Greek ammo. Buy with confidence.
IMG_0419.jpg

Well, here she is after about 24hrs of elbow grease. Now all that's left is to take her to the range. Fist one, so any advice would be appreciated. Ser.# on receiver dates to around 1955-56. Can't wait to shoot it. [smile]

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

that stock is as good as they come. Congrats!

Insert clip, press down hard until you hear a click and remove thumb quickly!

Seriously, many bolts do not automatically slide forward and take thumbs with them. They must have a little forward push on the bolt to nudge it forward. Don't be alarmed if yours is this way.

Now stock up on the Greek 30-06 ammo being sold by the CMP. I comes in boxes of 20 or span cans in bandoleers already clipped up. Good way to build up a supply of emblocs.

Now stock up on the Greek 30-06 ammo being sold by the CMP. I comes in boxes of 20 or span cans in bandoleers already clipped up. Good way to build up a supply of emblocs.
I'm gonna have to do just that. The order goes in tonight! [smile]

My CMP service grade SA is just about perfect color matching, shown here with my Winchester carbine (not CMP).

2m1s.jpg
Dennis,
Those look sweet. Where can I get a sling like the one on the garand? Is it GI?

Well, here she is after about 24hrs of elbow grease. Now all that's left is to take her to the range. Fist one, so any advice would be appreciated. Ser.# on receiver dates to around 1955-56. Can't wait to shoot it. [smile]

Nice score!

My service grade Garand doesn't look nearly that good.

Back
Top Bottom