CMP HRA M1 Garand

I just received an HRA Service Grade M1 Garand from the CMP. This is from the most recent batch they just made available. Absolutely beautiful. Everything is "correct" except the Barrel, which is SA 1/55. Muzzle Wear = 1.25, Throat Erosion = 2.0. I can't wait to shoot it!

016.jpg

Dam they are giving shoot and see's with the Garands now? How awesome you will be sure to be happy with it.

depending on serial number, SA sent a bunch of both SA and IHC parts to HRA to aid them in finishing out their contract, including barrels.

**Edit: Nice looking rifle!

Last edited:
Dirtypacman:2220267 said:
Dam they are giving shoot and see's with the Garands now? How awesome you will be sure to be happy with it.

And they ship in a plastic and foam case instead of a cardboard box!

Really nice looking rifle!! Are the stock and handguards USGI walnut (they look like it)? It looks too dark to be the newer CMP furniture. Regardless, you have yourself a keeper.

Yes, the wood is all USGI late production. The cartouche and P mark are clear and seem to be correct. Doesn't look like it was ever sanded/refinished. Lots of "character dents" and dings.

The serial number is 563XXXX, which makes it likely this baby was produced in 1955. So this baby might actually be correct?

5,488,247 to 5,793,847 Harrington & Richardson 1954 - 1956

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/31905#.Tywj-fJGSj0

thats def late enough to have one. only way to tell is its original to receiver, is pull back the oprod, next to drawing and date, youll see a "P" stamp. if theres a punch mark inside the loop of the "P" its original to gun. would look similiar to this IHC barrel punchmark on my original HRA

hralmr31.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good; same service grade specs as my 12/54 barrel on my Springfield 12/42 receiver.

Going to shoot it again tomorrow and iron out the elevation problems.

MS

thats def late enough to have one. only way to tell is its original to receiver, is pull back the oprod, next to drawing and date, youll see a "P" stamp. if theres a punch mark inside the loop of the "P" its original to gun. would look similiar to this IHC barrel punchmark on my original HRA

Thanks. I'll check when I get home.

Don't mean to hijack, but what's the better choice/value: Service Grade, Service Grade Special, Special or Correct Grade? just so much of a $ difference between the spectrums. I understand if you're looking for all the same serial, etc the correct is going to be more 'pure', but I'm just looking for something in good condition that will be accurate, fun to shoot and last. So after typing, probably asking am I better going with Service Grade, or spend a little more for the Service Special or Special?

Thanks!

*edit* Never mind, using google seach, I found this thread after specifying grades: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/147974-CMP-Field-Grade

(always forget that I can customize my search string and specify within the forum through google)

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack, but what's the better choice/value: Service Grade, Service Grade Special, Special or Correct Grade? just so much of a $ difference between the spectrums. I understand if you're looking for all the same serial, etc the correct is going to be more 'pure', but I'm just looking for something in good condition that will be accurate, fun to shoot and last. So after typing, probably asking am I better going with Service Grade, or spend a little more for the Service Special or Special?

In my opinion the best bang for the buck, pun intended, is CMP Service Grade. All the CMP Service Grade Garands I've seen in recent years have been really nice, good shooters. I've seen Field Grade Garands before that were in pretty bad shape - pretty much unusable wood, worn out barrels. If you want something to "collect" spend the money for a Correct Grade - pretty much guaranteed to go up in value once the CMP runs out.

I just got my father's HRA M-1 that he has had in a case in a closet for the last 50 years. Taking it apart I found it has an SA barrel. According to the serial number this rifle was produced in 1956 and the barrel is marked 12 53. It does have the punch mark and I know the barrel was never replaced as my dad got it back in the late 50's. So it sounds like your barrel is an original.

I just got my father's HRA M-1 that he has had in a case in a closet for the last 50 years. Taking it apart I found it has an SA barrel. According to the serial number this rifle was produced in 1956 and the barrel is marked 12 53. It does have the punch mark and I know the barrel was never replaced as my dad got it back in the late 50's. So it sounds like your barrel is an original.
Can you post some pics jackdaw ? I love to see what it looks like and how it compares to whats comeing out right now through cmp.

Back
Top Bottom