CMP Garands

That’s what I thought from reading here, but have debated my friend who said it was a federal law thing.
The CMP has a special charter allowing them to send them directly to you house. Some states have chosen to ignore C&R licenses and/or passed bills not allowing any firearms to be send to LAWFUL gun owners thereby violating the 2nd amendment they swore to uphold.

That’s what I thought from reading here, but have debated my friend who said it was a federal law thing.

It is a federal law thing, Congress had to pass special legislation specifically exempting CMP from the federal laws requiring them to ship rifles to an FFL so they could ship to you directly.

So I am weak and ordered two special rack grades. One for me and one for a buddy of mine who kept drooling on my stash of Garands. Sent in the paperwork via FedEx last night. Now the wait begins. $650 for virtually new Garand is tough to beat. You can shoot the snot out of it with no worries. I won't sell it but I am reasonably sure I could double my money in short order on a special rack grade.

So I am weak and ordered two special rack grades. One for me and one for a buddy of mine who kept drooling on my stash of Garands. Sent in the paperwork via FedEx last night. Now the wait begins. $650 for virtually new Garand is tough to beat. You can shoot the snot out of it with no worries. I won't sell it but I am reasonably sure I could double my money in short order on a special rack grade.
I have thought about ordering s few to stick in closet for spare parts!

Not a bad idea for a parts gun but LOL I'd probably just shoot it as a gun gun.

So tempting to order a SG with a 'sticky' for a HRA or just splurge for an IHC and shoot it to drive the collectors crazy. I used to operate my grandparents International Harvester trucks, tractors, and combine when working on their farm.

Sent mine in Monday. Let’s see whose comes in first.

Not a bad idea for a parts gun but LOL I'd probably just shoot it as a gun gun.

So tempting to order a SG with a 'sticky' for a HRA or just splurge for an IHC and shoot it to drive the collectors crazy. I used to operate my grandparents International Harvester trucks, tractors, and combine when working on their farm.

I love my IHC.

I'm interested in grabbing one of these as a first long gun. I'd definitely be looking to it as a shooter first priority, collectibility would be secondary (although if it was a WWII weapon that would be cool as hell). From what's still in stock I'm not sure if I'd be best to go for the Special Rack Grade at $650, the Service Grade at $750, or the Field Grade at $850. The descriptions of the grades they give are not super helpful to a rifle noob like me. :) Any advice?

I'm interested in grabbing one of these as a first long gun. I'd definitely be looking to it as a shooter first priority, collectibility would be secondary (although if it was a WWII weapon that would be cool as hell). From what's still in stock I'm not sure if I'd be best to go for the Special Rack Grade at $650, the Service Grade at $750, or the Field Grade at $850. The descriptions of the grades they give are not super helpful to a rifle noob like me. :) Any advice?

You may want to read this thread, it has some info on purchasing Garands. I own both a service grade and a rack special.
I have a service grade and a special rack. I shoot the service grade a lot more.

The special rack is really a competition gun, for me.
The service grade feels like a real milsurp (since it is).
The special rack is still nice, but doesn't have that same "it factor." It's refinished, new barrel (mine is 2015 dated) and the stock is new production. My service grade has a 1944 barrel and the original USGI wood...there's no comparison for me.

Still, if shooting a match tomorrow, the rack special would be my choice; tighter lockup, new barrel.

If you want more of a shooter, get the special rack grade, it has a brand new barrel and stock installed. Service grade would have a good barrel still but should be USGI as opposed to commercial and may have USGI wood or could have new stock. It would be slightly more collectable.

Get a rack grade special, shoot it with no worries, if 06 gets to be more of a burden to aquire than 308 you can have a 308 barrel installed easily.
If you get the M1 bug bite for something mors "collectable" you can move on from there and still have a shooter in the closet.

When your interested in collecting

Last edited:
Rather than start another thread I'm gonna bump this one. Finally received from CMP the IHC M1 Garand that I ordered last April. Paperwork was received in Anniston the same day CMP announced they were sold out of IHC's. Ended up being a nice rifle-

kekaXgch.jpg

Fs33O5om.jpg
lQrrrbsl.jpg
8SnMKghl.jpg
nZ5LpEDl.jpg

iuKQOg6l.jpg

Stock is obviously newer than the handguards. Appears to be beech? Some sort of unmarked replacement stock, but it locks up super tight to the receiver and the grip profile is narrower, which I like. That said, it is an older stock- decades old I'd guess. IHC bolt is a nice 'get' as is the LMR barrel that gauges 1+ ME, 1+ TE. Should be a great shooter.

Is this your first Tractor gun? If so, welcome to the club...

Is this your first Tractor gun? If so, welcome to the club...
Yep, first. I've operated their tractors, combines, trucks, and other farm equipment. 'Bout time I operated one of their M1's. I know the Winchesters are AOK where it matters and that IHC had some trouble getting started, but I really like the quality of machining on the receiver and bolt. The Winchesters could be a little rough. The IHC is more like the HRA, which I think is the nicest of the Garands.

IHC bolt is a nice 'get' as is the LMR barrel that gauges 1+ ME, 1+ TE. Should be a great shooter.
I respect that you are going to field that rifle. I take mine out a couple of times a year and ping a few clips through it.

Mine is an IHC/IHC Postage Stamp with all IHC parts. I agree with the HRA builds too. I've always been a post-war fan...

Enjoy and congrats!
~Enbloc

I respect that you are going to field that rifle. I take mine out a couple of times a year and ping a few clips through it.

Mine is an IHC/IHC Postage Stamp with all IHC parts. I agree with the HRA builds too. I've always been a post-war fan...

Enjoy and congrats!
~Enbloc
I plan to cobble together at least one correct rifle. My SA's are match rifles. One is for as-issued and the other is a National Match clone. I picked up an HRA from a friend and except for the walnut CMP stock, it's all HRA in great condition. With the right wood it might have made 'collector grade'. The IHC has a SA op rod and trigger group. I think by the time this one was made, IHC was no longer using SA parts. The trigger group for sure is a later swap-in as it is the early trigger group with the machined trigger guard. For 'shooters', I highly prefer these.

IHC was no longer using SA parts.
Many IHC guys will not agree with this, but I've always loved the idea of an all IHC-built rifle. For me an IHC made by SA but stamped with "IHC" still makes it a SA rifle.

Not a bad thing, in fact it's wonderful, but an all IHC is my mindset...

Many IHC guys will not agree with this, but I've always loved the idea of an all IHC-built rifle. For me an IHC made by SA but stamped with "IHC" still makes it a SA rifle.

Not a bad thing, in fact it's wonderful, but an all IHC is my mindset...
I'll need to check with an expert to see if SA op rod was possible. Probably not. At least this is an IHC made IHC.

Rather than start another thread I'm gonna bump this one. Finally received from CMP the IHC M1 Garand that I ordered last April. Paperwork was received in Anniston the same day CMP announced they were sold out of IHC's. Ended up being a nice rifle-

kekaXgch.jpg

Fs33O5om.jpg
lQrrrbsl.jpg
8SnMKghl.jpg
nZ5LpEDl.jpg

iuKQOg6l.jpg

Stock is obviously newer than the handguards. Appears to be beech? Some sort of unmarked replacement stock, but it locks up super tight to the receiver and the grip profile is narrower, which I like. That said, it is an older stock- decades old I'd guess. IHC bolt is a nice 'get' as is the LMR barrel that gauges 1+ ME, 1+ TE. Should be a great shooter.

Tried the tractor gun at 100 yards in both the stock as shipped and in a fancy DuPage stock I was using for the HRA. Actually shoots better in the as shipped stock. Here's a warm up with HXP 77, a kinda shitty batch for me-

cudSbtyl.jpg

First shot left, next shots too far right, last three the group at center. Looks promising. Maybe it likes HXP?

Next was some leftover match rounds from last OCSA-

XeOV52Ll.jpg

1st shot to the right, came in a couple clicks for the rest. Probably could have been better- was after 4pm and light was terrible that day. Too dark at my shooting position under the pavilion to see the sled to get it out of the receiver when done. Anyway, really decent results for a CMP Garand that was only cleaned and lubed. There's something interfering with the op rod and it fails tilt test. I'll take care of that and do some other CMP legal tweaks. Gas cylinder lock doesn't time well, so I'll try a couple different ones to see if I can get that tightened up. Overall very happy with this rifle. Looking forward to bringing it to OCSA next spring as an 'fresh out of the box' CMP rifle. Shhh... Nobody tell that it will have have had a little TLC.

Back
Top Bottom