• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cmp field grade specials in 308 back in stock

Thanks for the feedback. The M1 is just such an iconic rifle and I know I will get one some day. It's just a matter of whether I want to pay $650 today or $1200+ in the future. If it were as simple as just buying what I want, I would go out and order the M1 AND get a CZ 455 today, however it is never so simple when you're married. It is more an issue of "you're bringing ANOTHER gun into the house!?" versus budget.

Sounds like I should grab an M1 now while they are available rather than regret it later. I can always practice with 7.62x39 at around 20ish cents per round until I get a .22 rifle.

I will +1 on Service Grade. It's $100 well spent. My service grade is in great shape and has USGI wood. My Field Special is not a true field grade since they repark it, but you can see the receiver sans finish is not on the same level.

Thanks for the feedback. The M1 is just such an iconic rifle and I know I will get one some day. It's just a matter of whether I want to pay $650 today or $1200+ in the future. If it were as simple as just buying what I want, I would go out and order the M1 AND get a CZ 455 today, however it is never so simple when you're married. It is more an issue of "you're bringing ANOTHER gun into the house!?" versus budget.

Sounds like I should grab an M1 now while they are available rather than regret it later. I can always practice with 7.62x39 at around 20ish cents per round until I get a .22 rifle.
Yeah the prices on M1's aren't going to get any lower so I think grabbing one now wouldn't be a bad idea.

I just printed out the order form. This process reminds me of when I was a kid and my grandmother would order by mail from the Sear's catalogue and wait 6-8 weeks for delivery.

To me if you plan on shooting it get a service grade or one of the specials.
Don’t know if they have any 308 cmp specials in stock.if they do I would lean towards that for shooting more often.
As for practicing marksmanship I think a 10/22 is a waste of time and money. Find a nice older full size target rifle in 22lr with target sights.

To me if you plan on shooting it get a service grade or one of the specials.
Don’t know if they have any 308 cmp specials in stock.if they do I would lean towards that for shooting more often.
As for practicing marksmanship I think a 10/22 is a waste of time and money. Find a nice older full size target rifle in 22lr with target sights.

I have a special grade .308 Garand from CMP I got in a trade with a member here. He had bought it from CMP and never fired it. I have put a few hundred rounds through it so far and it's an awesome rifle.

I have a special grade .308 Garand from CMP I got in a trade with a member here. He had bought it from CMP and never fired it. I have put a few hundred rounds through it so far and it's an awesome rifle.
The CMP special in 208 is a great deal. You will spend more building or rebarreling one. Unless your old enough to be pack ratting garands and parts away when they where cheap.
I passed on some garand parts kits in sealed bags for $200 back in 2004ish. They looked a bit rough through the plastic so I was hesitating a cmp service grad was $495.
Only down side is you can’t shoot in the JCG as issued match with the 308

Only down side is you can’t shoot in the JCG as issued match with the 308

Meh. I won't be attending matches like that anyhow. Pretty much all the competitions I do are pistol stuff. I'll randomly shoot in military rifle competitions but none of them would require the Garand to be in 30-06 only.
Hell even my pistol competition days are probably gonna be few and far between for a long time with a toddler at home and another baby on the way this Spring! :D

Meh. I won't be attending matches like that anyhow. Pretty much all the competitions I do are pistol stuff. I'll randomly shoot in military rifle competitions but none of them would require the Garand to be in 30-06 only.
Hell even my pistol competition days are probably gonna be few and far between for a long time with a toddler at home and another baby on the way this Spring! :D
Took me close to 5 years to get back into shooting after kids...now the cost of them is cutting into my gunfuntime.
308 is the one to have if your just going to shoot. Or just do fun cmp events

Took me close to 5 years to get back into shooting after kids...now the cost of them is cutting into my gunfuntime.
308 is the one to have if your just going to shoot. Or just do fun cmp events

I reload for several pistol rounds so at least the cost factory isn't too prohibiting there, but even reloading .308 seems like it can get expensive. I don't even remember the last time I bought factory .308. I'm all set up to reload that caliber but just haven't dove into it yet. I understand reloading bottleneck cartridges is a bit more involved than just straight walled brass rounds. I'm getting very low on .308 too. Last few times I shot the Garand I had to strip out a bunch of rounds from my stack of loaded FAL mags! ;)

It’s more involved, for sure...but I actually think it’s more enjoyable and a little less nerve wracking. At least with the calibers i’m reloading (.308 included), there’s not even enough room in each case for a double charge, so that’s pretty much something I don’t even worry about until loading straight wall calibers again.

I reload for several pistol rounds so at least the cost factory isn't too prohibiting there, but even reloading .308 seems like it can get expensive. I don't even remember the last time I bought factory .308. I'm all set up to reload that caliber but just haven't dove into it yet. I understand reloading bottleneck cartridges is a bit more involved than just straight walled brass rounds. I'm getting very low on .308 too. Last few times I shot the Garand I had to strip out a bunch of rounds from my stack of loaded FAL mags! ;)

To further stir the pot, if you do get into reloading- the most expensive part will be the projectiles. Same projectile for either caliber and only a little more powder for the '06. Reloading cost is moot between the two, so that's really not a deciding factor.

To further stir the pot, if you do get into reloading- the most expensive part will be the projectiles. Same projectile for either caliber and only a little more powder for the '06. Reloading cost is moot between the two, so that's really not a deciding factor.

Still, I'm glad I got a Garand in .308, and not 30-06. I don't own any rifle in -06 but I do have the FAL so the plan is to find a decent load that I can shoot through both that and the Garand. At this point in my collecting/shooting I really don't want to take on any more new-to-me calibers.

Still, I'm glad I got a Garand in .308, and not 30-06. I don't own any rifle in -06 but I do have the FAL so the plan is to find a decent load that I can shoot through both that and the Garand. At this point in my collecting/shooting I really don't want to take on any more new-to-me calibers.

I said the same thing 3 calibers ago...now they’re finding ME!

The .308 Garands are a great idea if you want a shooter. Those of us that ‘shoot for score’ at CMP Garand matches (whether or not we’re even competitive) need the 30-06 to be in it to win it. Plus, there’s something about a 30 caliber GI can full of 30-06 ammunition that’s just plain sexy to me :D

Back
Top Bottom