• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Club Membership

EMTDAD

NES Member
just poking around the CMP website. My club (Wrentham) isn't a member club, but seeing that BSA Troops can be member orgs. Anyone here a CMP rep for their club that can fill me in on the practical pros/cons of being a CMP club?

If you want to buy a rifle from CMP, you have to belong to a affiliated club. There are other ways, just check on CMP website if you want to purchase something.

The Revolutionary War Veterans Association, a 501c3 which runs Project Appleseed nationwide, is a CMP-affiliated club. Cheap to join at appleseedusa.org.

GOAL is a CMP club, one can join the Garand Collectors Club (also a CMP club) . . . last I looked it was $25/yr and their quarterly magazine is probably worth the fee.

LOL... SMH.

LOL... SMH.

You got the answer you need not the answer you want.

I know nothing about the pros/cons but I do know that I am replying to your thread.

yeah.. my question is more on the line of "should my Scout Troop become a member club?"
Short answer is
It takes a fee and a annual report to be come an affiliated club.
What you have to do as far as continuing safety and marksmenship training and classes on your end Im not sure of.
Your best bet is to call the cmp directly

i might be wrong but Ibelieve all troops are “members” through BSA
Like ROTC and 4H shooting programs.
BSA troops are privi to all affiliated club perks like ammo sales and rifle sales along with discounts.
So lets say you a Troop leader want to purchase 5 rifles through the cmp for marksmenship training or team shoots you would be afforded this through cmp as long as all federal and state law apply .

its been a while but affiliation several years ago was $25 yr , annual safety report, ammo log and records from any marksmenship event or match.

Last edited:
Short answer is
What you have to do as far as continuing safety and marksmenship training and classes on your end Im not sure of.

Short answer is

i might be wrong but Ibelieve all troops are “members” through BSA
Like ROTC and 4H shooting programs.
BSA troops are privi to all affiliated club perks like ammo sales and rifle sales along with discounts.
So lets say you a Troop leader want to purchase 5 rifles through the cmp for marksmenship training or team shoots you would be afforded this through cmp as long as all federal and state law apply .

its been a while but affiliation several years ago was $25 yr , annual safety report, ammo log and records from any marksmenship event or match.

it appears that there's no dues for BSA Troops, an annual report that has to be submitted.. so it appears to be no real cost to the troop to join. I was just wondering if there's something that would benefit us. We're at the point where we'd love to have a bunch of 22 rifles for the Troop to use, but in MA, with the registration, it makes it difficult for an entity to own them.

it appears that there's no dues for BSA Troops, an annual report that has to be submitted.. so it appears to be no real cost to the troop to join. I was just wondering if there's something that would benefit us. We're at the point where we'd love to have a bunch of 22 rifles for the Troop to use, but in MA, with the registration, it makes it difficult for an entity to own them.
Im not sure how that would work for you
Troop leader can take ownership of the rifles? Maybe a Trust for your specific Troop?
I would call CMP and BSA head quarters?
You should get any discounts that cmp offers to BSA . There might be certain channels you need to go through for that though?

Based on my knowledge of how 3 gun clubs have dealt with CMP rifles and purchased .22LR rifles for juniors programs:

- MA does NOT recognize trusts or corporations owning guns. All must be registered in a LTC/FID holder's name who is responsible to the state for said guns.
- In the gun clubs either an officer of the club or an FFL who is on a committee registered the guns in their name. When they passed the torch to the next person, all were re-registered in that person's name.

I suspect that the troop would have to do the same to meet state law.

Back
Top Bottom