• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP 1911s not selling to MA in 2021

That’s the one powder I can’t seem to get enough of. Haven’t looked in months, mind you...but I’m down to my last 20lbs, lol.

The way I’ve been shooting lately (ie. Not at ALL), I’ll be gifting my powder to my non existent children/grand children when I expire.
I picked up a couple lbs at Glen's in N Reading and blended it with whats left of my only jug...
I should hopefully be okay till things get back to some semblance of "normal" :rolleyes:

Still have yet to see my 1911, but it’s sitting at my LGS less than a mile from my house which is currently 1000mi away. I hope I didn’t screw the pooch by getting a field grade, but I really DIDNT want a foreign replacement slide if at all possible.

For once, I actually got my mom interested in hearing about my purchase since I told her that Singer Co made 500 of them (she’s a quilting nut.)

I’ll shit a chicken if I get a singer, but I know that’s an extremely unlikely outcome.

I’ll shit a chicken if I get a singer, but I know that’s an extremely unlikely outcome.
I'd have to imagine those would go to auction (looks like they are pulling all Union Switch & Signal 1911s for auction), but a man can dream!

Yeah...1911’s can be a sickness too, I’ve heard. I’m just not really a pistol guy. I’m going to sell my E-series when I get home to pay for the USGI purchase.

It’s main niche in my collection is to sit directly across from my Nazi Hi-Power as a reminder of who won the war (though possibly by happenstance, depending on your school of thought.)

Yeah...1911’s can be a sickness too, I’ve heard. I’m just not really a pistol guy. I’m going to sell my E-series when I get home to pay for the USGI purchase.

It’s main niche in my collection is to sit directly across from my Nazi Hi-Power as a reminder of who won the war (though possibly by happenstance, depending on your school of thought.)
I shoot pistols a lot less than rifles as well, but trying to balance things out a bit these days.

I’m happy :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

1943 Mfg. M1911a1

Slide is Colt and Frame is Remington Rand...Bakelite grips don’t match each other and I don’t give a f***. Not sure if the barrel is a replacement...all I could find was a ‘P’ on the left side and an ‘F’ stamped on the right side both near the link. Slide to frame fit is about what I would expect...not spectacularly tight, but not a baby rattle either. Trigger is good-ish...I haven’t checked the weight yet though, but definitely has to be 5+ lbs I think. Rebuilt by SA at some point and assuming that’s why the slide/frame finish match so well.

It’s basically exactly what I wanted...might have preferred both frame and slide to be Colt, but has that ‘dragged through Europe’ look to it. It’s definitely going to get shot...probably take it out tomorrow if I don’t go mountain biking and shoot it side by side with my s&w e-series. I figure it’ll help me decide whether to keep the s&w or not (leaning towards not because I’m really not a huge 1911 guy)...but it WAS my first pistol I bought myself when I got my license

Anywhoo...good luck to those of you that have yet to received your pick yet. I’m happy I went with the rack grade...I really don’t think I could have done any better than this for the extra $200 for a service grade.

image.jpg image.jpg

Also looks to be in a duplicate serial range with Remington Rands...seemed to be a common mishap back then even with companies that weren’t very far apart geographically.

2998935D-FB8B-4AD6-9F15-80405BDD7A1E.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying just dumping all the M1s and 1911s today would kill the modern gun industry.

My point is that what the intent of Congress was when they set the rules up for the CMP. Why does the CMP try to restrict resale? Why are there no direct shipments to 03s? Why are a tiny amount of 1911s released when there's literally millions of surplus 1911s in warehouses? Why can't surplus American guns be re-imported easily?

Its because the CMP's job is to maintain an artificially-high price.
2.7 million 1911s during its service life.
How many went to any lend lease or sold to other countries? How many went to Captain Crunch ?
Cmp got the 100,000 or so sitting in one of the military arsenals.
I think the 8-12000 per year shipped is because it was probably easier for the US army to handle
As for the special laws Congress passed for the charter, it was probably this or a NO altogether.
Think of what these would cost if the cmp had to go out and buy them in bulk.

View attachment 496205View attachment 496208View attachment 496209View attachment 496210View attachment 496211View attachment 496212View attachment 496213

1943 Mfg. M1911a1

Slide is Colt and Frame is Remington Rand...Bakelite grips don’t match each other and I don’t give a f***. Not sure if the barrel is a replacement...all I could find was a ‘P’ on the left side and an ‘F’ stamped on the right side both near the link. Slide to frame fit is about what I would expect...not spectacularly tight, but not a baby rattle either. Trigger is good-ish...I haven’t checked the weight yet though, but definitely has to be 5+ lbs I think. Rebuilt by SA at some point and assuming that’s why the slide/frame finish match so well.

It’s basically exactly what I wanted...might have preferred both frame and slide to be Colt, but has that ‘dragged through Europe’ look to it. It’s definitely going to get shot...probably take it out tomorrow if I don’t go mountain biking and shoot it side by side with my s&w e-series. I figure it’ll help me decide whether to keep the s&w or not (leaning towards not because I’m really not a huge 1911 guy)...but it WAS my first pistol I bought myself when I got my license

Anywhoo...good luck to those of you that have yet to received your pick yet. I’m happy I went with the rack grade...I really don’t think I could have done any better than this for the extra $200 for a service grade.

View attachment 496218View attachment 496219

Also looks to be in a duplicate serial range with Remington Rands...seemed to be a common mishap back then even with companies that weren’t very far apart geographically.

View attachment 496232
Nice , almost looks like someone put good old lead bullets through that bore!
My kind of pistol, probably shoots great.

Nice , almost looks like someone put good old lead bullets t
My kind of pistol, probably shoots great.

I was thinking the same thing on both counts. Definitely looks ‘leaded’ which is what I’ll be shooting 95% of the time anyway. Going to clean it up this morning just to see what comes out of it though.

I’m guessing that with the Springfield Armory rebuild, all/most parts are likely within spec and serviceable.

the only thing I really wanted to avoid was a post war replacement slide. Not only did I get a pony on the slide, but the Remington frame actually shared a serial number with a Colt out there. So for relatively cheap money when considering the current firearms market, I got what will probably be a great shooter that fits the bill in my ‘collection’ as well.

I was thinking the same thing on both counts. Definitely looks ‘leaded’ which is what I’ll be shooting 95% of the time anyway. Going to clean it up this morning just to see what comes out of it though.

I’m guessing that with the Springfield Armory rebuild, all/most parts are likely within spec and serviceable.

the only thing I really wanted to avoid was a post war replacement slide. Not only did I get a pony on the slide, but the Remington frame actually shared a serial number with a Colt out there. So for relatively cheap money when considering the current firearms market, I got what will probably be a great shooter that fits the bill in my ‘collection’ as well.
You going to do a little Service Pistol shooting?

You going to do a little Service Pistol shooting?
Like in a match? Probably not, lol. I’m not very good at shooting pistol ‘qualification style’. I do like USPSA though and find that to be useful as a training aid. Might be fun to take this to a match and compete in single stack class with it.

Like in a match? Probably not, lol. I’m not very good at shooting pistol ‘qualification style’. I do like USPSA though and find that to be useful as a training aid. Might be fun to take this to a match and compete in single stack class with it.
Yes like Service Pistol
6” aiming black at 25 and 50 yards

I’ve qualified like that with the Marine Corps with M9’s...kinda seems silly with a pistol. I guess the marksmanship shooting we do with rifles at the games matches is along the same lines though...not super practical.

View: https://youtu.be/_Yw4EwDGwW8

So are you slipping away from Xs vs hits on target?
I think it would be cool to run that old 1911 at perry.
My neighbor had pictures if his dad getting a 1911 at perry out of the back of a Deuce and a 1/2. Participation awards.

View: https://youtu.be/_Yw4EwDGwW8

View attachment 496205View attachment 496208View attachment 496209View attachment 496210View attachment 496211View attachment 496212View attachment 496213

1943 Mfg. M1911a1

View attachment 496218View attachment 496219

View attachment 496232
Very nice. Enjoy!!

I’ve qualified like that with the Marine Corps with M9’s...kinda seems silly with a pistol. I guess the marksmanship shooting we do with rifles at the games matches is along the same lines though...not super practical.
A solid grounding in Basic Marksmanship fundamentals will serve you well in transition to any shooting sport or training.

I didn’t make it to the range today, but I took the parts out of the diesel dunk and cleaned them off. Oiled the entire inside and outside and all the parts, Mobil 1 axle grease on the inner/outer edges of the slide/rails, reassembled and wiped all the excess and it now cycles VERY smooth!

Figured you guys might appreciate a photo op with the two WWII war dogs. Yes, the kraut pistol is nicer in every way, but the 1911 won the war. Either way you slice it, the John Browning design wins hands down [rofl]

image.jpg image.jpg

On CMP forum, service grades are back for now:

1629936492811.png

The annoying thing is this dude has a higher RNG number than me...still no contact yet though (they said this could happen) [angry]

Back
Top Bottom