C'mon Out and Help Fight Closure of Granby 1000 yd Range - Appeal Hearing Oct 23rd

Mountain

NES Member
(Edited title in an attempt to draw more interest)

Hi NESers-

Please support New England's only 1,000 yard range by coming to the appeal hearing on October 23rd, 6:30PM. Notice from the Granby Bow & Gun Club Board of Directors below:

Hello Members:

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!! Our appeal hearing date is Monday October 23rd with the Granby Zoning Board of Appeals regarding the cease & desist orders issued against our Club. The meeting starts at 6:30pm at the Granby Senior Center located at 10 West State Street, South Hadley (actually Granby- some GPS's may show S Hadley), MA 01075. PLEASE COME!! We need EVERY club member and non-club member to include competitive shooters, sportsman, hunters, and 2A supporter to attend this meeting. Bring your family, bring friends, we need to have a HUGE show of support!! This is an all hands on deck type of event. PLEASE come and support our club!!!

Thank you in advance. Hope to see you all there!!!

Thank you,
GBGC BOD

Last edited:
I had posted this in the other Granby thread but this brings it right up to the forefront. Thank you. I just went up there today to find where the senior center is and plan to be there Monday night. I could provide a ride for 1 to 3 people from my area that would like to go if someone needs a ride. I'm in the Webster, Ma. area.

Bump for an important cause. To re-quote the Granby board of directors:

We need EVERY club member and non-club member to include competitive shooters, sportsman, hunters, and 2A supporter to attend this meeting. Bring your family, bring friends, we need to have a HUGE show of support!!

I had posted this in the other Granby thread but this brings it right up to the forefront. Thank you. I just went up there today to find where the senior center is and plan to be there Monday night. I could provide a ride for 1 to 3 people from my area that would like to go if someone needs a ride. I'm in the Webster, Ma. area.

Just a reminder about this and if somebody lives around my area I'd be happy to give a ride to those that need it up to 3 people. The more people we have there the bigger and better the statement will be.

Dear Members and Friends:

Reminder: Our Appeal Hearing with the Granby ZBA is Monday 10/23/17. Please email [email protected] if you plan on attending. We need to get a rough headcount as to who is attending. PLEASE COME if you can.

Please arrive early and please dress appropriately. Casual is fine, but no camo, blaze orange or 2A logo type t-shirts. We want to be professional, so no signs, arguments or comments to those who are against us. Lets be quiet professionals and let our attorneys do the talking for us!

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!! Our appeal hearing date is Monday October 23rd with the Granby Zoning Board of Appeals regarding the cease & desist orders issued against our Club. The meeting starts at 6:30pm at the Granby Senior Center located at 10 West State Street, Granby MA (some GPS may show it in South Hadley). PLEASE COME!! We need EVERY club member and non-club member to include competitive shooters, sportsman, hunters, and 2A supporter to attend this meeting. Bring your family, bring friends, we need to have a HUGE show of support!! This is an all hands on deck type of event. PLEASE come and support our club!!!

Thank you in advance. Hope to see you all there!!!

Thank you,
GBGC BOD

First of all, thank you to all who have made donations, participated in one of the Granby threads, and openly or at least quietly made plans to attend the Granby ZBA hearing.

However...

Relative to the bandwidth devoted to other issues of 'importance', I'm frankly surprised that the forum participants have not had more interest in this issue. I have changed the title to hopefully gather additional interest. NES should be more than a place to vent outrage over who uses what bathroom or debate the merits of plastic AR accessories. At the very least, we should break away from the keyboards and step out to support fellow New England firearms and 2A enthusiasts when they are under attack.

If Granby falls, do you think your range is safe? Where will the anti's show up next?

Do something.

Go to the hearing on Monday evening.

Check the above info or links regarding details, proper attire, etc.

I will be there, but unfair to browbeat people on here. They know the issue, but not everyone can drive out to that podunk town of Granby on that date and time. There are other also important things going on in the world in our lives too. Thanks.

I do believe that the range's heavy use of facebook was used against them. when I joined 2 summers ago I brought this up as a concern in the sense that broadcasting what's going on at a private range might not be wise. Having now read some of these "allegations" from neighbors I'm convinced they have legitimized their BS issues with information they gleaned from facebook.

as an example, I do a lot of shooting on a 300 yard range. from the perspective of the neighbors sound coming from a 100, 200, 300 or even 1000 yard range is no different (assuming the same chamberings are being fired). there's simply no way that the distance of a range has any substantial impact on the sounds experienced by neighbors. Yet these neighbors make it sound like dinosaurs roam the 1025 yard range. absurd. they would NEVER have known these things had it not all be broadcasted for these little arm flappers to exploit.

Last edited:
I will be there, but unfair to browbeat people on here. They know the issue, but not everyone can drive out to that podunk town of Granby on that date and time. There are other also important things going on in the world in our lives too. Thanks.

I agree a little unfair, though I am venting a bit because there's so much Facebook-like sh!tposting on the forum that substantial issues get quickly buried in the dark corners of the forum. Whether folks can go or not, at least some awareness is good or even better yet someone could make a donation for their legal defense fund. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but somehow I was expecting a gun forum to focus on guns...

Long distance ranges are rare in the East, and besides mil this is the only one in New England that goes beyond 600 yards. At least for me, there's a pretty significant difference between shooting at 600 and shooting at 1000.

It would really suck for the region to lose such a resource due to a very small but very vocal 'anti' neighbors. From what I hear, it's really just a small group of people, maybe even one nasty person stirring all of this up. Apparently there are some followers, plus the town assumes gunz = bad, thus close the range while things are being sorted out.

Just a reminder that this is tonight at the Granby senior center at 6:30pm. If you can be there please be there. Thank you!

It's about 2 mi from my house. I am going to try to make up for my inability to get to Boston for rallys by going to those local to me.

Ima heading now there, from Stockbridge, and there is nothing anyone can do to stop me.

See youz there.

Well, everyone went out there for nothing. The ZBA stated that they had received a letter (from the Club's lawyer) and that they had to postpone the meeting until they could read the letter and analyze that.

The crowd was polite, but not happy.

I am sure that we will know when they try again.

Parking is extremely limited so I am offering my place (2 miles from the Granby Senior Center) as a meeting location for anyone who would like to carpool. I can fit 4 others in my truck or if someone has a minivan they want to use we can fit more.

Well, everyone went out there for nothing. The ZBA stated that they had received a letter (from the Club's lawyer) and that they had to postpone the meeting until they could read the letter and analyze that.

The crowd was polite, but not happy.

I am sure that we will know when they try again.

Parking is extremely limited so I am offering my place (2 miles from the Granby Senior Center) as a meeting location for anyone who would like to carpool. I can fit 4 others in my truck or if someone has a minivan they want to use we can fit more.

Thanks for the update and the parking spaces offer. Good man!

Wow! Kudos to everyone who made the trek! It is beyond lousy to alert everyone that they aren't having a meeting, at said meeting.

I will continue to follow this thread, I couldn't make this meeting but now given the unprofessional nature of the ZBA, I will make it a point of attending the next meeting.

I don't know if this a delay or diversion technique to boot, but this is dirty pool in my book. If everyone shows up, well then let's go!

Id like to know if the letter was received in advance or at the beginning of the meeting. Very pleased with the turnout and thanks to Granby cop that helped with traffic and crossing 202. I would like to know who the gent wandering the parking lot with the flip phone was. Especially when he walked within a couple feet of my bumper and snapped a pic. Seemed sketchy but I have been called paranoid before.

Id like to know if the letter was received in advance or at the beginning of the meeting. Very pleased with the turnout and thanks to Granby cop that helped with traffic and crossing 202. I would like to know who the gent wandering the parking lot with the flip phone was. Especially when he walked within a couple feet of my bumper and snapped a pic. Seemed sketchy but I have been called paranoid before.

I bet they saw the crowd and decided a delay was in order. Couldn't make it tonight as I had to work, but will be watching for the rescheduled date to make that one.

Back
Top Bottom