• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMMG .22LR upper - Cleaning question, fine grit.

CWulf

NES Member
Guys, I was at the range yesterday and started out with my CMMG .22lr upper on a Windham lower. It was shooting fine, only one FTF in about 150 rounds. At noon I shifted over to the 5.56 upper (yes it was at BRP, no big bangs until after 12 on Sunday) and shot a couple of hundred more rounds. My question is, when I was cleaning both uppers last night I noticed that the inside of the CMMG upper had a lot of fine grit that was either power residue or casing shavings… is this normal? The lower had a lot of this grit in the trigger area as well. I never saw this in many trips to the range just shooting 5.56 through the Windham. I was using .22LR High Velocity Aquila.

Last edited:
I have not fired a .22 upper on my AR, but .22 does tend to be pretty dirty. Especially Aguila in my experience. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a .22 upper get visibly dirtier than a 5.56 upper.

Sounds like what the inside of my 10/22 looks like after a few hundred rounds.
It loves Aquila, but it's pretty dirty.

Back
Top Bottom