• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CME

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
According to Space WX, we have a moderate CME heading our way in the next 24-36 hours...not strong enough to cause power grid interruptions but will probably cause some propagation headaches and some aurora further south than normal.

LOL....I'm hoping it will open up 6 meters a bit. I'll leave my TS-590SG on 50.125 over night...hopefully I'll hear something.
Good idea. What about meteor scatter? If you have digital setup, run MSK144 on 50.260. I did that a few times during the Perseids and picked up a few transmissions. I didn't respond obviously because I was asleep, but it was cool. Some were way too strong, so those were probably not bouncing off ionized meteor trails, but some were pretty weak.

Good idea. What about meteor scatter? If you have digital setup, run MSK144 on 50.260. I did that a few times during the Perseids and picked up a few transmissions. I didn't respond obviously because I was asleep, but it was cool. Some were way too strong, so those were probably not bouncing off ionized meteor trails, but some were pretty weak.
I didn't think about MS...I don't really have an antenna for that any more but I used to do it sometimes when I had a six element long boom beam back in the 90s. I just have a OCFD in the air right now that tunes on six. Not having beams sucks. I have a five element six meter beam in the barn but it's still in the box. No tower so far to put it on. The OCFD might hear some of the stronger sigs. I'll let you know if I see/hear anything

50.313 / FT8 is where all of the action is at, from what I understand.
Monitoring that, with the appropriate equipment, will indicate an opening.

UJay

I picked up a few on my hex beam that was pointed directly into the back of the house.

I have no idea if a CME is in any way the same as meteor ionization, but I've seen enough crazy shit work in this damn hobby to say it's worth a try.

50.313 / FT8 is where all of the action is at, from what I understand.
Monitoring that, with the appropriate equipment, will indicate an opening.

UJay
I heard it pronounced "FT-Hate" today. [rofl]

I'm one of those cranky ass bastards with an unreasonable hatred for it. But I at least get that people like it and it's such a small piece of each band that I pay it no mind.

Yeah man.... I hear you..... love it or hate it.... it is taking over - especially on VHF+ / 6m.

If you monitor it and don't transmit.... no one will know. lol

UJay

FT8 is fine....I personally don't use it though I have tried it a few times. I can see why some people with limited space use it but it's boring for me. As long as they stay off calling frequencies, it's OK. I asked a POTA station on 50.125 a few weeks ago to move though. I told him it is a calling frequency and he should move up or down the frequency a few Khz to free it up. He was cool about it. Maybe he didn't even know. I even spotted him on his new freq. I don't think a lot of these guys understand "gentleman's agreements" with regard to calling freqs, etc.

the digital 'pioneering' modes, like JT65, was horribly painful... it is precisely like this;
1701310015072.png

So, comparatively, FT8 and now FT4 is quite a bit better. If you want to secure an award like WAS or DXCC quickly, FT modes will accelerate things. There is a weekly 30 min operating event Thursdays with FT4 (7.5 second TX/RX intervals) that I did do once, but there is skill required to get in the correct and productive groove.

As far as hatred for a mode.. I can relate since I have similar feelings towards SSB, but try and get on regardless for some of the contests and make a few QSOs- If finding the mic is very low effort at the time..... I guess I try and enjoy all aspects of the hobby at the end of it all.

But- Back to the OP

This past weekend was some of the best conditions I have experienced on the high bands (10m 15m) in years during the CQWW CW contest - while there was a threat of solar garbage, the condx from W1 to Asia was incredible. I scored quite a few ATNO band countries. Operating this contest rejuvenated me a bit.... I kindof fizzled out a few years ago for a number of reasons, but last weekend was awesome. I was working on repairing my top band antenna today for this weekend's ARRL 160m.

good stuff...

UJay

FT8 is fine....I personally don't use it though I have tried it a few times. I can see why some people with limited space use it but it's boring for me. As long as they stay off calling frequencies, it's OK. I asked a POTA station on 50.125 a few weeks ago to move though. I told him it is a calling frequency and he should move up or down the frequency a few Khz to free it up. He was cool about it. Maybe he didn't even know. I even spotted him on his new freq. I don't think a lot of these guys understand "gentleman's agreements" with regard to calling freqs, etc.
I don't think I've ever seen FT8 anywhere but in their little window. I talk shit but I don't actually have a problem with it; it's just not for me.

Be careful moving down from 50.125; that's the DX window and I found out the hard way people don't want you using those frequencies the wrong way either.

Back to the subject of CMEs, I did some searching and didn't find anything that indicates a CME improves radio at all. Oh well. No reason not to monitor for scatter, though.

Back
Top Bottom