• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clubs with plate racks, or metal targets, or other shooting

Our club is a pretty traditional club, with trap, rifle, and pistol ranges. The rifle and pistol use wooden frames to hold paper targets, and that is all that is allowed for the most part. Exceptions to that are some metal targets on the pistol range, and "gong" type targets out at 120 yards on the rifle range. Targets on the ground, or any non-paper targets are not allowed ("plinking"). We have some water in one part of our property, so we need to be respectful of that. Our neighbors are great, and many/most are members. We are looking to add a plate rack to make things more fun and easy for people shooting .22LR pistol only. Our range chairman has a plan (from a builder) to put up a little shed type structure and a giant concrete wall to separate this from the existing pistol range.

So, some of my questions are:

1) Are there some other clubs in Central Mass we can come visit?
2) Are you able to show us around, and give us a tour as to how you came to have your particular arrangement?
3) I've seen what was at North Leominster, but would like to maybe visit again to show some people. Can anyone help there?
4) Should we limit it to .22LR only? If yes, why? If no, why?
5) How do you come up with what you finally get? Our "design" came from a builder, who has no real experience or specialty in gun ranges. Then again, I know a lot of clubs do this, and use members to do the work, so need to know thoughts here also.

Thanks.

If you try and limit it to .22 only and only buy a plate rack capable of taking rimfire. Then it will be junk in a month. Guarantee that people will hit it with every pistol round they have.
This.

Buy a plate rack strong enough for typical pistol calibers or don’t bother.

Last edited:
both Singletary and Leicester have plate shoots through out the year, stationary and have to be replaced manually. both have them just set up for the league events only and they have RF only and CF only targets. my experience with people leads me to believe this insures that they are not destroyed with armor piercing rounds, etc, by the local yahoo's. I think Auburn would do well with some structured plate shoots.

You could check out Wallum Lake R&G clubs steel setup. It's not that long a ride from Auburn.

Our club is a pretty traditional club, with trap, rifle, and pistol ranges. The rifle and pistol use wooden frames to hold paper targets, and that is all that is allowed for the most part. Exceptions to that are some metal targets on the pistol range, and "gong" type targets out at 120 yards on the rifle range. Targets on the ground, or any non-paper targets are not allowed ("plinking"). We have some water in one part of our property, so we need to be respectful of that. Our neighbors are great, and many/most are members. We are looking to add a plate rack to make things more fun and easy for people shooting .22LR pistol only. Our range chairman has a plan (from a builder) to put up a little shed type structure and a giant concrete wall to separate this from the existing pistol range.

2) Are you able to show us around, and give us a tour as to how you came to have your particular arrangement?
3) I've seen what was at North Leominster, but would like to maybe visit again to show some people. Can anyone help there?
5) How do you come up with what you finally get? Our "design" came from a builder, who has no real experience or specialty in gun ranges. Then again, I know a lot of clubs do this, and use members to do the work, so need to know thoughts here also.

Thanks.

Waste of money, doesn't matter what you put up, people will destroy it when nobody's around. Most ranges that I've been to only put the club owned steel out for matches or organized shoots.

Might want to check out Harvard or Hopkington.

From experience, I can tell you this-

Put them at a berm. Nothings worse than getting splatter (or worse)from some dink shooting his .308 at 25 yds.

Buy the heaviest plates you can.- Yes, ideally its for .22. Also ideally, people aren't retarded, so never assume just because its only rated for .22, thats all that will ever be shot at it. Everythings a target, and steel will draw a crowd. If the range is empty, nothings stopping Johnny Dipshit from peppering your rimefire array with his AR10.

Anchor them in concrete.- Whats worse than spending a few grand on a plate setup? Spending a few grand on a plate setup and someone walking off with it, or moving it. Sono tubes, 2x4x.180 structural A36 steel as a reciever, some bag mix, blah blah blah. Make sure the 2x4 steel is protected. Wood 2x4's are less expensive to replace.
If you have to use target stands, bury em.

Tell members to bring spray paint with them if the're going to shoot steel.

Get plates with a hook-style on the back of the plate. Those punched plates with carriage bolts hold them in place? Carriage bolts make great pinpoint targets.

Prepare for meetings full of FUDD whinebags complaining that "those guys shooting steel are interefering with my trap shooting" Because shooting steel 2 ranges over at 200 yds is waaaaay louder than Elmer's over under 12 gauge, or so you'll hear.

Penetrator ammo- Not good for a.r. plates.

Good luck

Why not visit other clubs when they are open to the public?
Townsend Rod and Gun Club has Trap every Sunday at 9AM and Black Powder every third Sunday.
Shirley Rod and Gun Club - will have Turkey Shoot the Sunday before Thanksgiving
Leominster Sportsmens Association ranges are open to the public every Sunday after 9AM
All the above have some steel targets.
North Leominster trap and skeet ranges are open to the public Sat & Sun 9AM to 1 PM (but their site says daylight savings time only
Some clubs do not permit shooting plates with .22. The concern seems to be that they lack the power to know down the plates and the risk of ricoche back to the shooter is too high.

Thanks.

Rather than the club purchasing the plates and being responsible for them, have you considered requiring members to bring their own plates for inspection, and then those that are approved can shoot on the newly formed area only? You can still limit it to .22LR if you want, but it takes the burden of plate maintenance off you, but it does add the burden of approving everyone's plates.

Southboro had/has a plate rack for the pistol bays. About 6 months ago, it was down to 2 plates... and then about 3 months ago, I could only find 1 and couldn't get it to set. and the last time I was there 0 plates

Last edited:
Cpfg has organized plate shoots all the time. We have 2 well made centerfire racks from Rich's targets which are outstanding. We also have 5 8 plate racks for rimfire. Centerfire shoots are held once a month and rimfire once a month. Practice sessions are every other wed afternoon April to September. That's for club owner racks. Members are allowed to bring their own steel. Range rules state must be commercially made....or....have the ability to swing freely....no hard mounted steel. Steel must be placed at the berm so that misses impact the backstop not the ground. We've had great success with these rules.

I also agree with the others .... If you leave club owned steel out in the range it will get f***ed up in no time.

Cpfg has organized plate shoots all the time. We have 2 well made centerfire racks from Rich's targets which are outstanding. We also have 5 8 plate racks for rimfire. Centerfire shoots are held once a month and rimfire once a month. Practice sessions are every other wed afternoon April to September. That's for club owner racks. Members are allowed to bring their own steel. Range rules state must be commercially made....or....have the ability to swing freely....no hard mounted steel. Steel must be placed at the berm so that misses impact the backstop not the ground. We've had great success with these rules.

I also agree with the others .... If you leave club owned steel out in the range it will get f***ed up in no time.
I've shot there a few times (my brother is a member), good club, good crew.

both Singletary and Leicester have plate shoots through out the year, stationary and have to be replaced manually. both have them just set up for the league events only and they have RF only and CF only targets. my experience with people leads me to believe this insures that they are not destroyed with armor piercing rounds, etc, by the local yahoo's. I think Auburn would do well with some structured plate shoots.

Are you a member there? Would like to come see what's there, but want someone to speak to our club representatives (can speak better on this than me).

You could check out Wallum Lake R&G clubs steel setup. It's not that long a ride from Auburn.

OK. Are you a member? (same as above answer to Anchor)

ve 2 well made centerfire racks from Rich's targets which are outstanding. We also have 5 8 plate racks for rimfire. Centerfire shoots are held once a month and rimfire once a month. Practice sessions are every other wed afternoon April to September. That's for club owner racks. Members are allowed to bring their own steel. Range rules state must be commercially made....or....have the ability to swing freely....no hard mounted steel. Steel must be placed at the berm so that misses impact the backstop not the ground. We've had great success with these rules.

Where is "CPFG"? (same answer as to Anchor, above)

Yes I'm a member there. Jim (Kimber45) on here is the one that put in the effort and got the steel going at Wallum many years ago. He would be the best person to answer your questions about the steel there but I could take you to see what they have set up at sometime. They do the Walls of Steel there plus other shoots too.

Are you a member there? Would like to come see what's there, but want someone to speak to our club representatives (can speak better on this than me).

Country pond fish and game Newton nh. I'm on the board of directors. You could come to see our plate set ups whenever we have plate shoots. They are open to the public.

Website of events below .....anything in green is a public event.....all of the plate shoots are.

singletary yes, and they will start up in January, i'll reach out when they do, and send you an invite.

leicester no, and they wont start till springish

As a welder by trade and who still welds, I made several gongs out of 3" thick plate and gave them to my club, they never installed them and after a few years just gave them back to me, they are fearful of shooting steel I guess and its now banned to shoot at. They where welded to thick pipe and just needed to be cemented in place.

So one of these days I would like to bring them over to Singletary and see if they want them, maybe use them as a down payment on a membership LOL.

singletary yes, and they will start up in January, i'll reach out when they do, and send you an invite.

leicester no, and they wont start till springish
What is it they are starting?

As a welder by trade and who still welds, I made several gongs out of 3" thick plate and gave them to my club, they never installed them and after a few years just gave them back to me, they are fearful of shooting steel I guess and its now banned to shoot at. They where welded to thick pipe and just needed to be cemented in place.

So one of these days I would like to bring them over to Singletary and see if they want them, maybe use them as a down payment on a membership
Are these suitable for rifle? If you are interested in donating them, maybe Auburn would be interested. Got a photo?

Harvard has lots of steel plates and plate racks. Keep in mind that no matter what you do, you can only make it a hole resistant. You can never make it a hole proof.

Harvard has lots of steel plates and plate racks. Keep in mind that no matter what you do, you can only make it a hole resistant. You can never make it a hole proof.

You a member? Can you do a tour?

Thanks.

My club is all steel, full pistol range, and 300 yard, I thought it was the norm.

Same. We have only the one steel gong at 120 yards, and some sort of plate inside a tire for pistol.

Yes I am a member. We have steel plates at the 100, 200, 300, and submachinegun ranges. We have plate racks at the back 40, 25 yard and action pits. I can show you around any Saturday or Sunday morning but I don't know where the club gets it's steel targets. One of the board members can probably tell you that.

Yes I am a member. We have steel plates at the 100, 200, 300, and submachinegun ranges. We have plate racks at the back 40, 25 yard and action pits. I can show you around any Saturday or Sunday morning but I don't know where the club gets it's steel targets. One of the board members can probably tell you that.

You a member? Can you do a tour?

Thanks.

Same. We have only the one steel gong at 120 yards, and some sort of plate inside a tire for pistol.
Reach out to Dan Hurley. According to this link he is still the president there.

He can tell you all the good and bad HSC has had over the years. Just before I left they were getting ready to install cameras on the property to try to keep some of the dumb assery to a limit and find those who do damage to the property because they decided to use their AR on the pistol racks, etc...

Look into Hardwick Rod & Gun Club. Loads of steel plate at various distances. Duelling trees and plate racks permanently set up on the pistol range and has been for years. To my knowledge there hasn't been any unwarranted damages, just heavy use. The rifle range steel has some pockmarks from M855, but are largely in great shape.

They don't have much of a website to my knowledge, but are easily contacted via facebook.

If you try and limit it to .22 only and only buy a plate rack capable of taking rimfire. Then it will be junk in a month. Guarantee that people will hit it with every pistol round they have.

A buddy of mine and I went to hte range the day after Thanksgiving one year about 15 years ago. Someone left the fridge door. He shot it to hell. The "offenders" were using it as their backstop (????) and showed up after going to WM for more slug loads. They were sighting in for Deer Season which started the following Monday.

So don't use refrigerator doors either. They'll get shot up. LOL

Ames used to have a LOT of steel. (About 10 years ago, I guess.) But you need to shoot from an enclosed shed, elevated, through gun-slit windows. It sort of defeats the purpose of shooting steel.

Back
Top Bottom