• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Club Recommendations Central Ma

Hi All... Have done some research and wanted to hear opinions from guys in some of the clubs in my area. I'm interested in :

Ideally 24hr indoor range
Easy going environment
Ability to shoot pistol / rifle / shotgun

Really only the easy going friendly environment is critical. We have 2 young kids and I want them to have the opportunity to grow up shooting in a place they can look forward to going..... until their teen years at least :)

I don't mind a drive of about an hour for the right spot. So far on my list to further investigate / reach out to members

Hopkinton sportsman
Southborough rod and gun
Worcester pistol and rifle
Hamilton rod and gun

Appreciate input from any current members of these clubs as well as any others I may have neglected. As you may have noticed, I'm in Douglas.

Thanks.

Auburn Sportsman's Club is not too far. Singletary is closer, but Auburn is fairly kid friendly. No 24 hour though.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club is about an hour from Douglas, if you want to drive the hour, Harvard has everything you're looking for. 24/7 indoor range, 7/10/25/50/100/200/300 yard ranges, shotgun range with clay throwers, I've been a member for a few months and have enjoyed the environment a lot, I haven't had any problems on the range and everyone has been nice and willing to engage in conversation.

worcester pistol and rifle club is a great place to shoot we are doing over our indoor range, next orentation will be at the end of aug web site is wprclub.com

After recent interactions with staff @ Singletary, personally I would steer clear and I live 1 mile away.....Hamilton is Sturbridge is a great place
Auburn Sportsman's Club is not too far. Singletary is closer, but Auburn is fairly kid friendly. No 24 hour though.

SRG (Southborough Rod and Gun) is open for trap / skeet shooting every Thursday night 6 - 9 and Sundays 1 - 4.
More than happy to give you a tour of the facilities.

That would be awesome and much appreciated Rem.... I'd be happy to follow your schedule if you just want to shoot me a PM of when you'll be there.

Thanks again.

Wallum Lake Rod & Gun club in Burrilville RI. is not far from you & also worth checking out.

Wallum lake is definately close.

Would I have to get a non res permit for RI in order to bring firearms into the state... I would think so.

Wallum lake is definately close.

Would I have to get a non res permit for RI in order to bring firearms into the state... I would think so.
I am not a lawyer so I can't give you a definitive answer. If you are a member and going there to shoot I believe you would be fine as long as you transport them locked till you get to the club and lock them back up when headed home without stopping anywhere else in RI.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club is about an hour from Douglas, if you want to drive the hour, Harvard has everything you're looking for. 24/7 indoor range, 7/10/25/50/100/200/300 yard ranges, shotgun range with clay throwers, I've been a member for a few months and have enjoyed the environment a lot, I haven't had any problems on the range and everyone has been nice and willing to engage in conversation.

i live in Marlboro and agree with all except, i'm 30 minutes from Harvard

in the good weather.

Question I posted over in the RI law forum maybe someone who sees here can school me.

Wallum lake rod and gun is 8 mins from my house but the club is in RI. With a MA LTC can I bring firearms into RI to shoot at the club ?

The club also looks to have all the things I'm looking for so any help would be appreciated.

Well, I had been pretty jacked to join Wallum.... Until I found out that if your a MA resident you must fill out a Personal Criminal Recored Request Form. No problem right....wrong, it's $25 check filled out to the Commonwealth of MA, has to be signed by a notary and sent to Chelsea with a self addressed stamped envelope.

Now maybe I'm stubborn, but I am NOT paying the state of MA 25 dollars for the chance to join a club. I will drive a little further for a club with the same amenities.

So, Thanks to some of you that have made suggestions for other clubs, I hope it's OK if I PM some of you for more details.

Just wanted to add, I am a LTC A holder.

/Rant

Last edited:
Was just checking out Auburn Sportman's Club. Extremely family oriented. Even though no 24, sounds like it might be the club for us, but we need to be sponsored. Anyone willing to oblige??

WPRC?? what does this stand for?

Was just checking out Auburn Sportman's Club. Extremely family oriented. Even though no 24, sounds like it might be the club for us, but we need to be sponsored. Anyone willing to oblige??

Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club
They only have new member club meetings like 2-3 maybe 4 times a year. I gave up on waiting for the next one and now I am a member of North Leominster Rod and Gun. <--Thats a great club! Steel targets for pistol shooting, 50, 100, 200 yard rifle range. Oh and trap/skeet shooting as well. I don't have a shotgun(yet [wink]) but that looks like fun.

If you are interested in a tour of Hamilton in Sturbridge, send me a PM. Also you mentioned a number of disciplines, if there is one that you interested in more than others, I can put you in contact with that chairman. Good luck in your search.

After a heart to heart in the zbomb residence between the mrs and I.... it looks like I will be in attendance at the next meeting for Hopkinton ( Monday I believe ), application and check in hand.

I would consider WPRC. They are building a brand new indoor range. 7 automatic pistol lanes, indoor club house, 2nd floor meeting room, etc etc. The indoor range is the only reason I joined the club. It is 24/7/365.

It is going to have key card access once it is finished. Same as a new electronic gate out front, so you don't have to get out of your car. Me likey.

As others said, they only have like 2-3 orientations a year, which is their BIGGEST downfall. You have to go too, because they read you all their rules, so you can't sue them pretty much. Other then that, it's a great club. I am going to highly enjoy that indoor range.

They have always had an indoor range, but from what I hear it was ancient at best. This thing should be sweet when it's finished.

Last edited:
It was considered.

I would like to be in a club sooner rather than later and know about the sparse orientations. I looked to try to find out when the soonest one was and their website seems to be down at the moment.

There next one is this month. Maybe a week or 2. Maybe less.

The indoor range is suppose to be finished by years end. If you want to at least check it out, let me know. I live 3 minutes away.

There are a couple members here that might know the date even though the website is down. (Friday & TWtommers)
Both are members there, and know more then I about the club.

I'm at Auburn, and normally I'd say yes, but I will be away for this month's meeting. I suppose you could still use my name. PM me if you are still interested.

There are starting to be quite a few NES folks at ASC, some from this very thread. I'd be happy to take you over there maybe as soon as this Sunday. Again, PM me.

OH YEAH:

family day tomorrow at Auburn Sportsman's Club

Saturday, August 11
12:00pm
Family Day
When Sat, August 11, 12pm – 8pm
Where Auburn Sportsmans Club 50 Elm St. Auburn, Ma. 01501 (map)
Description ASC FAMILY DAY CHICKEN BBQ - Saturday, August 11th 12 noon – 8pm This event is for members and their family and friends so come on down and enjoy! Ticket includes ½ chicken, baked potato, corn & salad served 1pm to 4pm. $9/plate until Sunday 8/5 – then $10 per ticket (if available). Hamburgers, hot dogs & chips will also be for sale. Tickets will be on sale at the bar July 7th. Tony Yodice & his band „On The Rocks‟ will be playing – so put on your dancin‟ shoes! We will have a 50/50 Raffle, Hole-in-One, Ladderball, Bean Bag Toss, Face Painting and the famous HAMILTON RAPIDS waterslide!! If anyone has any suggestions or would like to help out, please let me know! HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE SUMMER !!!

MAKE SURE TO TELL THEM YOU SAW THIS ON NES!!!!

Last edited:
I'm living in Marlborough currently, but moving to Worcester in August. A couple guys I work with belong to a club here (Marlborough Fish & Game), but I was wondering if there was anything closer to Worcester.
Thanks for your help!

There is the Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club in Boylston. However they are at their membership cap and I was told that they probably wouldn't be taking new members until March next year. You can put in an application now and hopefully they will have enough members not renew their membership so you could get in. My app is sitting somewhere in a pile right now. There is also the Auburn Sportsman Club and I believe you can still get in there now. Take a look at the Gun Ranges & Clubs thread. There should be a thread for both clubs.

Back
Top Bottom