• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Club recommendation in North Attleboro area. Help needed

slap shot

NES Member
My choices seem to be.

1. American Firearm school - very pricey and indoor only.
2. Angle tree stone - looks decent, heard good and bad about the "atmosphere"
3. Mansfield fish and game - looks good, need a sponsor and i don't know anyone
4. Independent sportsmen's club - looks good and i do have a sponsor, slightly further away

i'd like a place that i can shoot pistols, rifles, take my son, who is 16. not that interested in being involved and no aspirations to "run things". enough of those people around.

Appreciate feedback on any of these or an offer of sponsorship to Mansfield.

Thanks

My choices seem to be.

3. Mansfield fish and game - looks good, need a sponsor and i don't know anyone

i'd like a place that i can shoot pistols, rifles, take my son, who is 16. not that interested in being involved and no aspirations to "run things". enough of those people around.

Appreciate feedback on any of these or an offer of sponsorship to Mansfield.

Thanks

WRONG! There are plenty of us from MF&G on this forum.

In fact I'm headed over there within the hour to pre-stage targets/stands for my NRA PPOH class I'm running this weekend. Talk about short notice, but if you want a tour, that I can do but I can't hang out there very long as I have a lot of other work to do for my upcoming class and have a memorial service to attend later this afternoon.

Shooting there during the week seems "iffy" these days as contractors are working in the building and may shut all the ranges down for their safety/comfort. I'm not sure the status of that until I show up each time, so I generally don't bother going there during the week until the building is complete. I had this experience a couple of weeks ago when I met up with another NES'r interested in the club and had planned on doing some shooting only to find "ranges closed signs" everywhere.

If today doesn't work, Email me (preferred vs. PM) and we'll try to arrange another time for a tour.

Also being from North, I'd be interested in this thread too... I take my BFSC next Saturday. Then will attempt to get the LTC. I see there's also Wrentham Sportsman up at Rte 1 & 495 but I can't find much info on it.

WRONG! There are plenty of us from MF&G on this forum.

In fact I'm headed over there within the hour to pre-stage targets/stands for my NRA PPOH class I'm running this weekend. Talk about short notice, but if you want a tour, that I can do but I can't hang out there very long as I have a lot of other work to do for my upcoming class and have a memorial service to attend later this afternoon.

Shooting there during the week seems "iffy" these days as contractors are working in the building and may shut all the ranges down for their safety/comfort. I'm not sure the status of that until I show up each time, so I generally don't bother going there during the week until the building is complete. I had this experience a couple of weeks ago when I met up with another NES'r interested in the club and had planned on doing some shooting only to find "ranges closed signs" everywhere.

If today doesn't work, Email me (preferred vs. PM) and we'll try to arrange another time for a tour.

Great, i'd love to take you up on that. Email sent.

don't forget about Taunton...it's a little bit longer of a drive, but some of the best facilities I've seen...there is some bias from me, as I am a member.

Don't bother with AFS, place can be outright dangerous at times with people who know nothing renting guns...I also know that atleast one person killed themselves there...not worth the risk IMHO.

I belong to both Mansfield and Wrentham. If you need info on either club, shoot me a PM. Although it looks like Len already has you covered for Mansfield.

I belong to both Mansfield and Wrentham. If you need info on either club, shoot me a PM. Although it looks like Len already has you covered for Mansfield.

Yeah, I got a personal tour.

Looks like a nice spot and if Len is a representative, nice people.

I will be checking out Taunton as well as my nephew wants to shoot with me and he's comign up from Swansea, so it's a little more in between. I'll probably try both. :)

Don't bother with AFS, place can be outright dangerous at times with people who know nothing renting guns...I also know that atleast one person killed themselves there...not worth the risk IMHO.

I'm in AFS at least once a week and while there are certainly new shooters there on a regular basis, I've never seen anything truly "dangerous" occur. The range officers do a good job of policing safety without being dicks about it.

Yes, there was a suicide there. They've changed the rules (no solo rentals - gotta have two people to rent a gun) to try to prevent that, but in truth, what's the fact that some poor nut chose AFS to off himself say about the club, other than that they rent guns? If it had happened at, say, Harvard Sportsmens', would people be slagging Harvard as "dangerous" because of it?

I take my wife and kid to AFS on a regular basis. I sure wouldn't do that (or go there myself, for that matter) if I thought the place was dangerous. It's anything but.

IMHO/YMMV.

I was a member at AFS the first two years they were open. Most of the employees all seemed to have an attitude, but the facilities were top notch so I stayed. Then they screwed me on the purchase of a G-17. They promised me that the deal would include two pre-ban Glock mags. They supposedly had some coming in the next week. That became the next week, then the next week, then the next week and so on. Well next week never came. Finally he gave me two brand new post ban pro mags (illegal) and tries to tell me that they were pre-ban. I never went back even though I still had a couple of months left on my membership.

Regardless of where i join, i can always go down the street to AFS if i feel the need, For $20, i can have a little fun. And yeah, i heard about it when that guy offed himself. Can't really hold that against the club. Been there a couple of times and damn, this ammo shortage has made it much easier to have the place to yourself. :)

That was very sad incident to hear about at AFS. I was there taking that "Learn to Shoot" class a few weeks before that incident happened. I feel weird admitting that I thought about how easy it could be to pay the $40 for the class to commit suicide. The class I took was about 20-25 minutes of classroom time, then off to their 4 lane pistol range with 3 other people and the instructor. The instructor could not stop someone from doing this. He's trying to help 3 other noobs with any issues. I'm sure I went through at least 1-2 full magazines without even seeing the instructor.

I was a member at AFS the first two years they were open. Most of the employees all seemed to have an attitude.

Before my time, so I don't know, but my guess is those folks are long gone. The current management and staff are terrific.

Don't mean to be such an AFS fanboi. In fact, it goes against self-interest, as it can get crowded enough there. But I do think the fact that the folks there are very good deserves to be known.

Trying to figure out the cost of Wrentham Sportsmans Association. Application online says $200 initiiation, and $100 annual dues. Anyone know if there's a spouse fee, and same for children? No info on their website. THanks

Trying to figure out the cost of Wrentham Sportsmans Association. Application online says $200 initiiation, and $100 annual dues. Anyone know if there's a spouse fee, and same for children? No info on their website. THanks

I joined WSA about 15 years ago so I do not know exactly what the current fees are. But if you contact chuck (contact info here, right side of page) http://www.wsaclub.com/Contacts.html He would be able to answer any and all questions regarding membership.

If you would like a tour of the facilities, I can help you out. I am also a member of Mansfield if you would like to check that out as well.

I joined WSA about 15 years ago so I do not know exactly what the current fees are. But if you contact chuck (contact info here, right side of page) http://www.wsaclub.com/Contacts.html He would be able to answer any and all questions regarding membership.

If you would like a tour of the facilities, I can help you out. I am also a member of Mansfield if you would like to check that out as well.

Thanks.. I got the info from Chuck... It appears there's a $200 initiation fee and $100 annual dues, plus work requirements. There's also a requirement of 2 yrs of hunting or fishing licenses. Kids 13-18 are $5/yr, and there's only individual memberships. No spousal or family memberships. I'd assume that means my wife would always have to be with me when using the facilities. $600 up front is pretty steep compared to other clubs. We know a couple of members there already, so sponsorship wouldn't be a problem. We also know a member at Mansfield as well.

Unless I completely have the area confused, Taunton Rifle and Pistol is near north attleboro. I like the place.

"near" is a relative term. [smile] AFS is 1.5 miles from my house. Angle Tree is 2, WSA is 6, and MF&G is about 10. Taunton would be about 19 miles. Not that it's all that far, but we'd like to look at the clubs closer to home first. We had a 4 month membership to MFS (29 miles away) and used it 4 times in 4 months.

Mansfield is extending the gun show special of last month to the April 2&3 gun show in Foxboro as well Cost will be $100.00 for the rest of the year (normally it would be $100 initiation and $4x for the remainder of the year), $20 spouse and $10 junior. For those joining at the gun show, the show is your sponsor.

If you want a tour of the club, just let me know.

"near" is a relative term. [smile] AFS is 1.5 miles from my house. Angle Tree is 2, WSA is 6, and MF&G is about 10. Taunton would be about 19 miles. Not that it's all that far, but we'd like to look at the clubs closer to home first.

I'm in Attleboro. I drive by all those ranges and go to Hopkinton Sportsmans where I have been a member for 2 years. "Near" is very relative, I don't mind 30 miles to Hopkinton, for me they have much more to offer than any closer club.

FWIW, I was previously a member at Mansfield for 3 years, their recent improvements look great, but It will always be a small club. It will never have a 200 yard range, or trap/skeet fields or 6 pistol bays.

Relative the time/distance you are willing to travel, choosing a club over any other because it is the one closest to you is dumb.

Independent is closed than WSA.

Independent is 7 miles from my house.. also on the pricey side at $100 each initiation for me and spouse, plus $155/yr dues each.

I'm in Attleboro. I drive by all those ranges and go to Hopkinton Sportsmans where I have been a member for 2 years. "Near" is very relative, I don't mind 30 miles to Hopkinton, for me they have much more to offer than any closer club.

FWIW, I was previously a member at Mansfield for 3 years, their recent improvements look great, but It will always be a small club. It will never have a 200 yard range, or trap/skeet fields or 6 pistol bays.

Relative the time/distance you are willing to travel, choosing a club over any other because it is the one closest to you is dumb.

whatever works for you.

Independent is 7 miles from my house.. also on the pricey side at $100 each initiation for me and spouse, plus $155/yr dues each.

Plus a work detail. I belonged there and left to join MFG. Never looked back.

Last edited:
Unless I completely have the area confused, Taunton Rifle and Pistol is near north attleboro. I like the place.

I actually ended up joining Taunton soon after the original post. Funny I took my gun safety class there in like 1990, never joined back then but I'm happy there now. Members and facilities are A+.

Also joined Angle Tree Stone out of convenience. Nice to have a club 5 minutes from your house, even if the fudd is super strong lol.

No spousal or family memberships. I'd assume that means my wife would always have to be with me when using the facilities.

Yes and no. Any member can sign your wife in, it does not have to be you. That may be a bit of a burden when you first join, but once you make a few friends there it should be very easy to get her signed in.

Now that my license is in I'm hunting around for a club. Angle Tree is about three minutes away from home, so it's hard to beat that. I hear a lot of good things on here about Mansfield F&G as well, though, or Taunton.

The 5-round mag limit at Angle Tree is a bit weird, and the Fudd factor is strong from what I hear. I don't want to go somewhere where some old-time is going to hang over my shoulder and tell me I can't put more than three rounds a minute down range. But maybe it's not that bad. I guess they do some family-oriented "club"-type stuff, too. Might help get the wife involved, too. I do like that the indoor range is open 24/7.

But Mansfield gets great comments here, and is only about 20 minutes away.

Mansfield is also offering the same flat $100.00 membership deal at the upcoming April 2&3 Foxboro gun show. Normal cost would be $100 initiation/building fund fee + $100 (pro-rated dues which would be ~$42 in April). Membership year is thru the end of August each year. We'll have a table at the gun show. Look for the yellow "gun show loophole" hanging from a frame structure ~4-5' above the table.

Back
Top Bottom