• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Club for a beginner Bow Hunter

Hello all. I recently bought a bow for hunting and have never hunted deer or turkey before. Quite frankly, I wouldn't know what to do with one if I brought one down. I am looking to join a club with bowhunters who are willing to share some knowledge and get a new bowhunter ready to go into the field. I don't even own a rifle so a great rifle range isn't really a concern. I do hunt waterfowl and like to shoot skeet but skeet is mostly open to the public at ranges and I never found that my 50 cent savings on a round even came close to covering my dues anywhere.

Thanks for the info I and I look forward to meeting you guys.

John

ps. I live in Grafton.

Keep an eys on this.

Find a class in your area. You will meet other new hunters, and the instructors will have suggestions on who to contact in your area.

Hunting with a bow takes a lot of practice and patience. Know your gear and don't try to take a shot outside of your comfort zone. Some guys are deadly inside of 25 yds and others are great to 30 yds. Because of my old style gear and being a finger shooter, I stay in the 25 yd range. I've gotten lots of small game, but get bad target panic on deer so I haven't gotten one with my bow (I haven't tried in well over a decade).

I shoot in my back yard or head down to a local field and shoot now and then with my daughter. We use low power recurves so that way we won't panic and of the locals. It looks a lot harder than it is shooting bare bow when you are use to a flatter shooting compound with sights on it.

3D course is nothing like in real life when you have brush, branches and leaves in your way. You need to pay close attention to your scent & wind direction.

The only club I know of that has lots of archery shoots is Riverside in Hudson. I'm not even sure of where to buy gear any more. I make my own arrows and order components when I need them (which hasn't been for many a moon). I know Natick Outdoor carries some stuff and they can order whatever I need, but there are times I just want to go into a place and see what is new. The only big store I have been to would be Kittery Trading Post, but they don't stock lots of stuff like they use to a decade ago.

If you want some help with your shooting, I gave give you some tips. More you use your gear the better. Don't have some one tell you that your gear stinks and you need to buy a new bow in order to shoot better. If you understand the fundamentals you can shoot anything IMHO.

I am definatly going to some 3D shoots. Not sure if I can do a whole league schedule. I have been looking at Marlborough Fish and Game ans Century Sportsman Club as possibilities to join. I want to find a place to shoot on my own time where there is an active hunting population.

Do you guys have any info on Century or Marlborough?

Back
Top Bottom