Closings, Cancellations, State of Emergency, announcements due to Coronavirus?

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "junior year" was a summer English class at Post College. I came back in the fall as Class of 87 instead of 88. New student ID number and everything. In homeroom sitting next to the older brothers of two guys I sat next to the previous spring.

That said, I know a lot of my friends in Class of 88 chose not to partake of the senior year stuff when it was their turn to do so. Not exactly sure why.
I was 77 instead of 78, lol, feeling a little old right now 😐

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bet our hospitals up here will be dealing with plenty of patients from the tristate area if they aren’t already.
We'd have already seen more of a spike than we have if it was happening on a large scale, but yeah, there is sure to be an up tick in NY patients in nearby states.

Anybody in the hotel industry have an idea on whether we have more New Yorkers than usual?

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh, I was talking about high school seniors repeating their last year of high school and not going to college. I think that's what @Dennis in MA was discussing, too.

The COLLEGE freshmen won't repeat. They've got distance learning.
Thanks.

Now I get it. No college freshman class because the kids are repeating senior year.

Sucks to be practically every business right now.

I slay me LOL (Sorry, @Jason Flare )

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Well it IS fishing season, so they must qualify as an indispensable business

WA State just banned recreational fishing. Too many affluent people fly fishing off their house boats in the sound? [puke]

All recreational fishing and shell fishing in Washington closed Wednesday at midnight.
-
WDFW enforcement officers will be patrolling, spokeswoman Staci Lehman said. If they find people fishing, they will notify them of the closure.

“We will be asking people to comply voluntarily,” she said. “But if they don’t, citations can be issued.”

Citations would either be for fishing during a closed fishery or exceeding the legal limit. Fines could vary.

ccm75

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ya, I have 2 HS seniors. They are bummed but taking it in stride.
Being cut off from friends is hard but they've been doing big Facetime deals and Netflix parties ("NP").
Yesterday they actually dragged their bikes out of the shed and went for a ride.....!

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WA State just banned recreational fishing. Too many affluent people fly fishing off their house boats in the sound? [puke]

All recreational fishing and shell fishing in Washington closed Wednesday at midnight.
-
WDFW enforcement officers will be patrolling, spokeswoman Staci Lehman said. If they find people fishing, they will notify them of the closure.

“We will be asking people to comply voluntarily,” she said. “But if they don’t, citations can be issued.”

Citations would either be for fishing during a closed fishery or exceeding the legal limit. Fines could vary.
Again with the shit that's counterproductive. As much as I have a gut feeling that this thing doesn't like light, I also have a feeling people would do better to be out in the fresh air and sunshine - albeit away from other people - rather than stuck inside.

Kevin_NH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
New Hampshire update:"...the State of New Hampshire will be issuing a Stay-at-Home order and directing all non-essential businesses that have not already voluntarily closed to end in-person and public-interacting operations by 11:59 PM Friday, March 27, 2020. This is not a shelter in place. No one will be prevented from leaving their home & the state is not closing its borders. Of course, we won't prevent you from leaving your home to go for a walk, or when heading to the store for groceries, or going to an essential job."

Last edited:

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Again with the shit that's counterproductive. As much as I have a gut feeling that this thing doesn't like light, I also have a feeling people would do better to be out in the fresh air and sunshine - albeit away from other people - rather than stuck inside.
This is utter BS! Oh wait...the libs don't want us to be self sufficient. Molon Labe my fishing pole! (Is that grammatically correct?)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-

Yeah, wont be following that order at all.

n1oty

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Rt 28 on Cape has a highway sign saying if you're coming from Metro NY to self-quarantine for 2 weeks.
My NY customers with summer homes on the Cape have been calling in much earlier than prior years for me to fire up their hot tubs. I normally do not get these calls until early May.

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Thanks.

Now I get it. No college freshman class because the kids are repeating senior year.

Sucks to be practically every business right now.
On the flip side, F over bloated colleges and their financial woes. I'd feel worse for them if they didn't steal all of the financial aid over the last 35 years or so.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The whole state of MA is being closed more and more: New Coronavirus Steps: Travelers To Massachusetts Told To Self-Quarantine For 14 Days
“Starting today, all travelers arriving to the Commonwealth are instructed to self-quarantine for 14 days,” Baker said at a news conference. “We’re taking extraordinary steps here to keep our residents safe.”

Travelers entering the state through Logan Airport, South Station and Worcester Airport will get information flyers informing them of the new advisory. Drivers will see the flyers at rest stops and on roadway signs.
I think I even agree with this, although may be too little, too late.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Rumford Maine Fire (EMS) wants to suspend non emergency calls. The BOS approved the measure and they have sent the request to the state for final approval.
I guess I just sort of assumed ALL calls for fire and rescue were emergency calls?

Or does this just apply to "my cat is stuck in a tree" sort of calls?

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
That's disappointing. No reflection on the people that go on the calls but you shouldn't be SENT on a call that isn't an emergency. That's got nothing to do with the current situation.
There are a lot of people out there that really don’t know much about anything then there’s the issue that some really don’t have anyone to help. It’s all part of public service. You should see the look on some people’s faces when you arrive to pump 3-4 feet of water out of their basement. On one call I wanted to put the 6” suction line and strainer thru the cellar window. The Deputy Chief wouldn’t let me.
During the current events I agree that limited exposure is a good thing.

Top Bottom