Closings, Cancellations, State of Emergency, announcements due to Coronavirus?

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Distance learning is not easy to implement. For it to work you need to have a good tool and a teacher that cares a lot.

I remember when I was in college. I tried to take a couple of online classes and hated them. In one instance, the tool s*cked and the "professor" didnt care. On the other, the professor cared but the tool sucked.

One of them was a statistics class. The program we used was a giant POS. If the answer was 17.3291 ... and I wrote 17.329 but the answer wanted 4 decimals, it market the entire statistics problem as wrong. A professor would call you a moron and take 1/4 to 1/2 point off for not paying attention, but give you credit for knowing how to do it.

This is the only reason I feel somewhat bad for these kids, because I am sure plenty of teachers dont give a f***.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this might be of use if you are a business person, lots of regulatory info state by state

napoleon1815

NES Member
Rating - 98.2%
56   1   0
My youngest is using zoom for class and I guess yesterday the teacher forgot to go on mute and his wife was nagging him about why he leaves his socks lying around, why he’s wearing the same shirt as yesterday and then they fought over their son who was trying to make eggs and made a mess. A few of the kids recorded it and now it’s gone viral within their school group ha.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
My youngest is using zoom for class and I guess yesterday the teacher forgot to go on mute and his wife was nagging him about why he leaves his socks lying around, why he’s wearing the same shirt as yesterday and then they fought over their son who was trying to make eggs and made a mess. A few of the kids recorded it and now it’s gone viral within their school group ha.
As I've said,

Teachers don't know how to do this, generally. It's not going to "fix" anything; it's a novelty.

My guess is that DL contingency planning and training are going to be a big growth industry in public schools for the next couple of years. If you're good with zoom or other platforms, start a company now to provide that training and consulting. You'll make a fortune, and I'm not even kidding.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Always double mute. The computer and the phone/headset. Always.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Guess they're looking at the Seesaw Class application so work can be completed and submitted to the teacher. I'll have to look it over. I'm curious to see how they'll advance children if work wasn't done. I guess just on to the next grade we go?
Well, you're other alternative is for every grade to repeat next year.

And what do you tell the various colleges and universities that are looking for students in September? "Sorry. See you next year."

The system is NOT designed to have a hiccup like this. Everyone will adjust. And shockingly, there will not be a "hole" in our collective educations because of it. I mean, how many things were you re-taught and re-forgot in school??? Damn. I'd need a 3-week Algebra refresher every year in HS. The only subjects that will really suffer is reading and history. And we suck at both of those in schools anyhow. LOL

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Right, but then the colleges lose out on a quarter of their student body next year... and the tuition they bring.

Not gonna happen.

Actually, MORE than a quarter once you factor in the dropout rate.
Why wouldn’t the college freshmen repeating the year be paying for college?

You mean people expect free shit?

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Oh, I was talking about high school seniors repeating their last year of high school and not going to college. I think that's what @Dennis in MA was discussing, too.

The COLLEGE freshmen won't repeat. They've got distance learning.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Did I see something in my town’s superintendent newsletter saying that the state forbids public schools from offering online instruction? Something about not being able to accommodate the needs of all the “special” kids too?

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's a report: Coronavirus News: Massachusetts Schools Closed Until May 4
Some interesting quotes from the report:

Given what's been reported by Picton (no distance learning statewide) and these statements one wonders how or what they're going to say. I'm guessing teachers will now be allowed to send out voluntary homework and conduct optional online lessons but nobody can get graded on anything. I also note that nowhere in the article did I see any promises of actual resources ($$$) to be provided to schools to either help them implement things or provide internet access to the relatively few students who don't have it (and no, free TV propaganda doesn't count).
In all seriousness, it takes money to operate a school system. (It also takes money to hibernate a school system, but less of it).

Take some of the money NOT being spend on HVAC, lights, etc., and buy a bunch of Chromebooks from China (I didn't say it was a PERFECT plan) and get these kids into online classrooms.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Did I see something in my town’s superintendent newsletter saying that the state forbids public schools from offering online instruction? Something about not being able to accommodate the needs of all the “special” kids too?
You probably did. I've been posting about it for a week.

That all changed yesterday, with no notice for the superintendents. They're figuring out how to implement that right now, as I type. Expect to see a new newsletter this week sometime, and if you don't, hound your super until you do.

Parents and teachers are in the same boat right now, waiting for guidance. DESE is not covering itself with glory in all this.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a 12th grader - It sucks. Feel really bad for all of these memories he's not ever going to have. We all remember those last two terms of High School - You work for 12 years to get to feel that and experience that and now ....nothing.....
Chances are they'll tack on a Grade 13 and the Uber Seniors will get their chance next year.

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Oh, I was talking about high school seniors repeating their last year of high school and not going to college. I think that's what @Dennis in MA was discussing, too.

The COLLEGE freshmen won't repeat. They've got distance learning.
Thanks.

Now I get it. No college freshman class because the kids are repeating senior year.

Sucks to be practically every business right now.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
In all seriousness, it takes money to operate a school system. (It also takes money to hibernate a school system, but less of it).

Take some of the money NOT being spend on HVAC, lights, etc., and buy a bunch of Chromebooks from China (I didn't say it was a PERFECT plan) and get these kids into online classrooms.
That sounds good, but most school districts already have 1:1 (or nearly). The ones that don't by now literally can't afford it.

And? This crisis isn't free. My school brought in a professional cleaning crew to disinfect everything, and I'm sure that wasn't cheap.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Chances are they'll tack on a Grade 13 and the Uber Seniors will get their chance next year.
Unlikely.

They're a government operation. They'll take the path of least resistance and waive everything.

Your solution might have been something they'd have considered had all this happened in, say, November. But 5/8 of the year is gone already, more like 5/7 for the senior class. Repeating ALL that makes little sense, either. It's just a yuuuge shit sandwich that won't taste good no matter how it's eaten.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That sounds good, but most school districts already have 1:1 (or nearly). The ones that don't by now literally can't afford it.

And? This crisis isn't free. My school brought in a professional cleaning crew to disinfect everything, and I'm sure that wasn't cheap.
It also didn't help. Leaving the buildings EMPTY for a few weeks would have the same effect on the virus.

Bringing in a squad of "ordinary" cleaners after the building has "aged empty" would have been less expensive and more benefit.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unlikely.

They're a government operation. They'll take the path of least resistance and waive everything.

Your solution might have been something they'd have considered had all this happened in, say, November. But 5/8 of the year is gone already, more like 5/7 for the senior class. Repeating ALL that makes little sense, either. It's just a yuuuge shit sandwich that won't taste good no matter how it's eaten.
I should have added a /sarc tag on the Grade 13 post. The other point about going to online classes for a semester or three was serious and I believe would work.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
It also didn't help. Leaving the buildings EMPTY for a few weeks would have the same effect on the virus.

Bringing in a squad of "ordinary" cleaners after the building has "aged empty" would have been less expensive and more benefit.
No argument here.

I'm the first to admit, the people who run schools are frequently bad in a crisis. In fairness, though, they're often only doing the bidding of idiotic school committees and, in turn, poorly-informed voters. So.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm hearing that hotels up and down 128 are jammed with cars from NY.
The Cape and Islands as well......Folks from NYC fleeing the plague....
I bet our hospitals up here will be dealing with plenty of patients from the tristate area if they aren’t already.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12th grader - It sucks. Feel really bad for all of these memories he's not ever going to have. We all remember those last two terms of High School - You work for 12 years to get to feel that and experience that and now ....nothing.....
I graduated junior year. I never had any senior year memories. IMHO, you don't miss what you never had.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I graduated junior year. I never had any senior year memories. IMHO, you don't miss what you never had.
This is a little different, though. This is already March of senior year. These kids have already paid for their prom gowns and senior trips and all the rest of that nonsense.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "junior year" was a summer English class at Post College. I came back in the fall as Class of 87 instead of 88. New student ID number and everything. In homeroom sitting next to the older brothers of two guys I sat next to the previous spring.

That said, I know a lot of my friends in Class of 88 chose not to partake of the senior year stuff when it was their turn to do so. Not exactly sure why.

Duxprep

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Most colleges are equipped for and currently delivering Distance Learning - No issue there. No way they aren't going to graduate the seniors this year- They'll figure it whats needed

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little different, though. This is already March of senior year. These kids have already paid for their prom gowns and senior trips and all the rest of that nonsense.
From that perspective it is a big let down for those kids. I hope they can understand the necessity of closing schools.
I hope they stay healthy.

Top Bottom