Closings, Cancellations, State of Emergency, announcements due to Coronavirus?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Schools closed til may 4
Here's a report: Coronavirus News: Massachusetts Schools Closed Until May 4
Some interesting quotes from the report:
“This will provide school districts to provide the best possible opportunities for remote learning for all students,” Baker said.
The state will be sending out guidance to school districts on Thursday.
“If people really choose to embrace this, and it’s not easy, there’s an opportunity here to do some very different things with respect to encouraging and educating kids. And we certainly hope that ends up being where this goes,” Baker said.

Riley acknowledged that not all students may have access to the internet, and they will not be punished for not having that resource.

“We think that districts should use whatever they have at their availability to get out to kids. But we want to make sure we don’t penalize any children who don’t have access to the internet,” Riley said.
Given what's been reported by Picton (no distance learning statewide) and these statements one wonders how or what they're going to say. I'm guessing teachers will now be allowed to send out voluntary homework and conduct optional online lessons but nobody can get graded on anything. I also note that nowhere in the article did I see any promises of actual resources ($$$) to be provided to schools to either help them implement things or provide internet access to the relatively few students who don't have it (and no, free TV propaganda doesn't count).

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Never thought I'd see the day when both my kids would be sad school is closed another month ha.
I bet it sucks for a lot of seniors. I was a shit lord of a student in HS and even i would of been pissed if it was abruptly ended 3 months prior in 12th grade. Thats a time that they will never be able to get back and is very memorable. No sr prom, no sr trip, etc. Sucks big time for those kids.

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it sucks for a lot of seniors. I was a shit lord of a student in HS and even i would of been pissed if it was abruptly ended 3 months prior in 12th grade. Thats a time that they will never be able to get back and is very memorable. No sr prom, no sr trip, etc. Sucks big time for those kids.
Just to be clear this is not a stance on this extension of school closures. That being said,
WGAF about a bunch of seniors missing prom?

Duxprep

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Most of the students in 12th grade who are potentially missing it, to start.
I have a 12th grader - It sucks. Feel really bad for all of these memories he's not ever going to have. We all remember those last two terms of High School - You work for 12 years to get to feel that and experience that and now ....nothing.....

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the students in 12th grade who are potentially missing it, to start.
I was speaking more in terms of people making the decisions.
Senior prom was likely not a factor when this decision was made.
If the kids could still get together and party, I doubt it would be important to them either.

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I was speaking more in terms of people making the decisions.
Senior prom was likely not a factor when this decision was made.
If the kids could still get together and party, I doubt it would be important to them either.
The people making these choices are (at least in MA from what I've seen today) saying it's to allow schools to better facilitate distance learning, or something along those lines. Are all students equipped with devices to allow them to connect to these programs? what programs? is this all at a local level?

A lot of the reactions look to be from my point of view reactions out of the demand to do something, and in the process not be the last one to make a change. It's been a very follow the leader type reaction from the leadership. No one wants to be 1st, no one wants to be last, no one wants to be an outlier.

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a 12th grader - It sucks. Feel really bad for all of these memories he's not ever going to have. We all remember those last two terms of High School - You work for 12 years to get to feel that and experience that and now ....nothing.....
You could tell him to cheer up.

If it was 1964 he might be heading to Viet Nam after the prom he’s missing.

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distance learning.... ya they gonna have to push that. Will it work? is another question entirely.

Being close to the "school" situation on the kid and staff level, I can tell you this, there has been a WIDE variation in how each district has handled this.

Some districts have had parents beating down the doors demanding lessons and such for their children on a daily basis, while in other communities they struggle to get kids to the school as it is/was. So the "plan" will vary greatly depending on the socioeconomic status of the district.

Last edited:

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Here's a report: Coronavirus News: Massachusetts Schools Closed Until May 4
Some interesting quotes from the report:

Given what's been reported by Picton (no distance learning statewide) and these statements one wonders how or what they're going to say. I'm guessing teachers will now be allowed to send out voluntary homework and conduct optional online lessons but nobody can get graded on anything. I also note that nowhere in the article did I see any promises of actual resources ($$$) to be provided to schools to either help them implement things or provide internet access to the relatively few students who don't have it (and no, free TV propaganda doesn't count).
No, I THINK today was all I was hoping for: the Governor freeing up local schools to choose what they want to do.

This is a positive step, I think. Whether some of the NES resident crankypants believe it or not, most teachers actually do want to teach, rather than sit around staring at the walls. So this frees us up to agitate to our principals and superintendents for the ability to use the resources we feel comfortable with to try to reach our kids, most of whom (at least the high schoolers I teach, and my own elementary-age kids) actually do miss school.

It also frees up parents to start burning up those phone lines and agitating for the same thing.

The downside is that the state STILL can't guarantee resources for all, but Baker seems willing to let superintendents make that call. I know from personal knowledge that the supers are in daily contact with DESE, seeking guidance; this, then, seems to be that guidance. I'd expect a flurry of emails this week from supers to your kids' teachers to find out what they think they can accomplish, and then a letter to parents outlining your town's plan by sometime this weekend.

I hope. I JUST heard about this the same time that y'all did, but I think it's a good step.

bigpick

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter in the 1st grade has assignments to complete daily, the public schools in our city have none. She likes school and doing the work so it's not difficult getting her to complete everything. She can't wait to go back to school though.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
My kids' school had a Zoom meeting yesterday (public school). I know because there was a bunch of work posted today, all optional.

Teachers are trying to get material through. I just posted a bunch of stuff to Google Classroom today. But nobody right now can force students to do any of it, so as usual, students will get out of it what they're willing to put into it. Seems fair to me.

bigpick

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess they're looking at the Seesaw Class application so work can be completed and submitted to the teacher. I'll have to look it over. I'm curious to see how they'll advance children if work wasn't done. I guess just on to the next grade we go?

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess they're looking at the Seesaw Class application so work can be completed and submitted to the teacher. I'll have to look it over. I'm curious to see how they'll advance children if work wasn't done. I guess just on to the next grade we go?
.gov schools have been doing that for a long time, especially if you happen to be the right color.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Most likely.

I'm certain the state will be generous with its waivers, and by "state" I mean all fifty of 'em.

Individualist

NES Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
This is exactly the situation my daughter is in and she is absolutely losing it. No prom, no clubs, no senior dance solo or competitions, and perhaps no graduation. I wish they would just do a 100% stay at home lock down and get this over with instead of this half-assed BS which is just going to drag it on forever.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This is exactly the situation my daughter is in and she is absolutely losing it. No prom, no clubs, no senior dance solo or competitions, and perhaps no graduation. I wish they would just do a 100% stay at home lock down and get this over with instead of this half-assed BS which is just going to drag it on forever.
I'm sorry for her.

In my experience, the answer to many (if not most) educational “why” questions is “because nobody wants to be the bad guy who says NO.”

Keep that in mind, and it’ll help you understand a lot about school [mis]management.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My circumstances were different. I skipped, so I was only a member of my "senior" class for that year. I knew a few members cuz advanced classes, but that's it.

I actually did the Prom thing. It wasn't terrible. The only thing that made it vaguely "magical" was the fact that my prom date was an old friend, and she and I got to spend that time together. Honestly, I remember more of the time she and I spent at the truck stop having breakfast than at the Aqua Turf at the event itself!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My circumstances were different. I skipped, so I was only a member of my "senior" class for that year. I knew a few members cuz advanced classes, but that's it.

I actually did the Prom thing. It wasn't terrible. The only thing that made it vaguely "magical" was the fact that my prom date was an old friend, and she and I got to spend that time together. Honestly, I remember more of the time she and I spent at the truck stop having breakfast than at the Aqua Turf at the event itself!
my GF and I looked at the cost of the dress and all the other BS, looked at each other, shrugged and decided to blow it off. We grabbed some lobsters, a big ass kettle and some champagne and headed to Cape Cod. Driftwood fire and a lobstah dinnah under the stars...

some friends joined us the next morning and it’s possible we expressed our condolences on the sh*tty prime rib and beans they got. LOL.

i doubt kids would get away with that now - I’m a little surprised WE got away with it!

R

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
hey, if this remote learning works out, they can eliminate school buildings (sell off the real estate), buses (no transportation costs), no school delays/cancellations on snow/cold days, etc what a boon to the state/local towns in terms of savings [pot]
That's a great idea, they could have done this 25 years ago, it had been proposed, the technology and infrastructure existed, but the teachers unions got it squashed.
They claimed that children needed "social interaction" with other children to grow up normal.
(that's their definition of normal, which is not necessarily our definition)
But things have accelerated drastically since the advent of the smart phone and broadband for everyone.
Kids don't go outside and play anymore anyway (speaking pre-corona), they hardly even speak to each other, they'll literally be sitting in the same room texting each other. Seen it many times.
So making the transition nowadays, from classroom teaching to remote learning, will be much easier and more streamlined due to degree this technology is already integrated into our lifestyles.
This also makes the argument for the teachers unions much weaker now, they're hoping this video classroom experiment fails.
But the thing that really scares the crap out of them is that parents can see exactly what their kids are being taught, in real time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom